The Coffee House

@CherylL I know "subscription model" are dirty words to many, but it actually makes the process easier. In previous years there were always hardware compatibility and driver issues when migrating to a new computer.
That is a plus not loading up all the CDs or downloading assets again. I have my old computer set up with no internet. On that one I have content that was purchased and I didn't want to lose the assets. One is a motion graphics packages that you render out. I use that on occasion with the stills for graphics. And sometimes a fancy title in AE.

Wrapped most of the xmas gifts. I'm waiting on a few that are delayed from Amazon. Only have to put together one toy this year.

Wrapped most of the xmas gifts. I'm waiting on a few that are delayed from Amazon. Only have to put together one toy this year.
And I thought I was doing fine getting my wish list together this week. :icon_santa:

I'm making MLSIL a pen and pecil set out of "purpleheart" wood, and a paper towel holder out of maple with cherry & walnut "racing stripes".

Got the tree today, very early for us. Would get it next Sat. but have been drafted into towing grandkids Cub Scout pack’s float in the parade instead.

Hey Hosers! Or should I say Howdy folks? Just back from visiting my nephew in Austin TX. We had a fun time and enjoyed mostly nice weather. Had some very good bbq and some interesting cocktails. Seemed to me that Austin is more hipster than cowboy which was disappointing from a tourist perspective but nice in other ways which I won’t go into in the coffee house. In fact the final count for the long weekend was 4 real cowboys spotted and 30+ hipsters 🤣.

Went to a Christmas stroll in Georgetown that was straight out of a Hallmark movie. Bought a genuine cowgirl hat for the Princess (she’s a country music fan and will get some use out of it at concerts).

Time for me to start decorating the house and getting my lists in order.

Hey Hosers! Or should I say Howdy folks? Just back from visiting my nephew in Austin TX. We had a fun time and enjoyed mostly nice weather. Had some very good bbq and some interesting cocktails. Seemed to me that Austin is more hipster than cowboy which was disappointing from a tourist perspective but nice in other ways which I won’t go into in the coffee house. In fact the final count for the long weekend was 4 real cowboys spotted and 30+ hipsters 🤣.

Went to a Christmas stroll in Georgetown that was straight out of a Hallmark movie. Bought a genuine cowgirl hat for the Princess (she’s a country music fan and will get some use out of it at concerts).

Well, howdy there! Yep, Austin is more West Coast than Texas. Dallas is the other city in Texas that really isn't Texas. For the authentic experience, you need to go to Fort Worth or San Antonio and maybe El Paso. As they say in Austin, keep Austin weird. And for the really authentic... smell... go to Lubbock or Amarillo... you'll either love the smell or hate it...

And I thought I was doing fine getting my wish list together this week. :icon_santa:

I'm making MLSIL a pen and pecil set out of "purpleheart" wood, and a paper towel holder out of maple with cherry & walnut "racing stripes".
You are creative! Post photos please when you finish

Sounds like a good time. I have heard Austin is more of an artistic town.

So 8hrs of loading apps and data, I'm about whupped.

Eww. Sounds miserable. My laptop has keys that have just started to act wonky on occasion. This is the kind of thing that will drive me to something new. It has a 17" screen, still sharp, and has all my files.....I get nervous just thinking about it, and dammit Smoke! This post of yours isn't helping. :irked:
I know I'm a bit late to the conversation, so my apologies.

Anyways, 2021 Macbook Pros with the M1 Pro chip are insanely fast and efficient, even for being considered old or out of date by tech standards, and because they're considered old, you can find really great deals on these amazing laptops. I have been using a 2021 14" MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip and 16GB RAM since early 2022, and I am still absolutely blown away by the speed and efficiency of this computer. It very rarely gets warm and I have never heard the fan come on since getting it, even with multiple TIFF files open in Photoshop with several other applications open at the same time. The charge also lasts for a really long time because the power management in Apple Silicon chips is very efficient. This computer should get OS upgrades for at least three more years, and security updates for at least 6 more years if kept on the latest OS that it's compatible with. Years ago I swore I would never buy an Apple computer again after buying an iMac that refused to keep up with my workflow, but the Apple Silicon (M chip) computers made me eat my words because these things are insanely fast. If you do go this route, just be sure to get 16GB RAM or more. 16GB has been more than enough for me personally. Also consider getting AppleCare + or another type of warranty protection, as it can be very costly to have accidental damage repaired on these. My AppleCare + saved me from having to spend $800 to replace the display when i dropped my phone on it and damaged it. The deductible ended up only costing me $99, which I was happy to pay instead of $800. When I first bought my Macbook I was worried that a 14" display would be too small, but honestly it ended up being the perfect size, even after being used to a 21.5" iMac display. If 14" is too small, the 16" 2021 model is also a great deal in 2023.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in another thread, my 2015 iMac is still going strong! Except for the vendor deciding not to support it any more. I'll be looking for a replacement in the next year, and probably referring back to your comments to see how you're making out with this external storage solution. I'm not paying an extra $2400 for a bigger internal SSD.
My 2015 iMac still gets security updates for OS Monterey, just not OS upgrades. I think this is reasonable considering it's 8 years old and doesn't have the hardware to keep up with current operating systems. Unfortunately the security updates for Monterey are expected to stop in Fall of 2024. 9 years of support doesn't seem all that bad in my opinion.

Last edited:
Just finished all of the christmas slideshow 3d videos my mom will be sending to distant relatives this year and my gosh, do I already hate Christmas music! :boggled:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back