The Coffee House

Hi all, I stick my hands in the air and go HELP
reading the recent posts, it’s showing that I am ignoring comments by Dan’s.
have I clicked on something that I should not have. I remember that I upset Smoke some years ago by accident
and wondering if I have clicked a button....
I can be pretty spicy from time to time particularly when I was in my 20's and most active here, so if I ever caused you to add me to your ignore list I'm not surprised. 'Tis the nature of internet forums.

You make an excellent point, 9 years is 2-3x the expected useful life for a computer used for something like this. However I still have two major complaints:
  • The hardware is still more than sufficient to run existing software, but with a subscription model the software is constantly updating. Some applications can simply be rolled back to a version that works, while others just stop working.
  • Apple does not have a viable replacement in the same price range. They no longer make 27" iMacs, so that upgrade route will mean settling for a smaller display. An equivalent Mac Studio with display starts around $5k.
The Mac Mini isn't a bad option, especially with any iteration of the Apple Silicon chips. For photo editing I find that the base 16GB of RAM is more than enough, but I don't know what else you use your computer for. The one with the M2 Pro chip starts at $1,299 brand new, and you can always find good deals on displays as well. The Mac Mini with an M1 chip is also a powerful machine, and you can get great deals on it since it's technically out of date. This is also the case for the Mac Studio with an M1 Pro chip as well. I have a Macbook Pro with an M1 Pro chip and 16GB RAM, and to be honest it is the first time that I haven't had envy for newer or "better" machines. The M1 Pro chip is a beast and has handled everything I've thrown at it with ease. Apple even offers refurbished versions of the Mac Studio with impressive specs for less than $2k. Mac Studio M1 Pro

Unfortunately with software compatibility, this is just the nature of tech evolution. Eventually all software becomes incompatible with newer machines regardless of brand, even software that isn't subscription based.

Last edited:
You are mikes ahead of us all!

I stopped sending cards a few years ago. One year I just got behind on things and that was an easy cut. Not sure if my not sending got us scratched off of everyone’s lists or if many of our friends also stopped around that same time… once everyone’s kids grow up those family photo cards taper off.

Our annual moms and daughters cookie bake has become Princess and her friends doing all the baking and decorating in the kitchen while we moms have a holiday martini and apps in the dining room.
That sounds wonderful! Smelling cookies you don't have to bake and a martini!

Our card list is elderly family and friends, and a few friends that send us cards. A few years ago we didn't send any out and still got cards.

I can be pretty spicy from time to time particularly when I was in my 20's and most active here, so if I ever caused you to add me to your ignore list I'm not surprised. 'Tis the nature of internet forums.
Spice is good! One of my local photography FB groups has meet ups. Most on there are young 20's & 30's. They are spicy creative! I went to a few meetups and there was one other person my age group. The young people were very nice to me. One of the models is in her 50's and works in print and film modeling.

Unfortunately with software compatibility, this is just the nature of tech evolution. Eventually all software becomes incompatible with newer machines regardless of brand, even software that isn't subscription based.
Well said, and appreciate the insight! There's always a catch isn't there... M1 chip is plenty powerful, but being an older generation it will likely lose support sooner. 16GB of RAM is probably plenty, but unlike my 2015 iMac it cannot be upgraded later. And let's be honest, I don't really need that $1600 Apple display.

Woke up yesterday feeling sick, today not much better. No motivation, feel terrible and mentally drained. But still made my coffee. Is winter over yet? 😔

Erwin-231207-86722.jpg

Well said, and appreciate the insight! There's always a catch isn't there... M1 chip is plenty powerful, but being an older generation it will likely lose support sooner. 16GB of RAM is probably plenty, but unlike my 2015 iMac it cannot be upgraded later. And let's be honest, I don't really need that $1600 Apple display.
At this point it can only really be speculated when any of the Apple Silicon chips will lose support. Based on how long Intel chips have been supported in the past, the M1 will see support until at least 2029, and the M1 Pro and Max until at least 2030. Sure the RAM can't be upgraded, but at least for my use I personally won't need to have more than 16gb.

Well, it's December 8, and the trees are finally turning color (mostly brown... I think brown is a color). My Bradford Pear is dropping it's leaves, but since I don't have a lawn, and it's windy, there is nothing to rake. My neighbor has a lawn, and all the leaves are stuck over there...

At home we're in the middle of the woods, so what God puts down, he'll eventually take care of. Our Lake place is different those large shade trees that are so nice in the summer are a PITA when the leaves fall. Our fall has been sporadic do the last of the leaves are down. Spent the last couple hours blowing and dragging piles of leaves. Probably another 2hrs to finish.

Update: I either finished or the body gave out. I have a huge pile of leaves with no where to go. They're calling for a storm tonight so my luck they'll probably be scattered all over the yard.

Last edited:
My memory isn't what it used to be but I don't recall you ever "upsetting" me. To edit your list of people you ignore, in the task bar at the top of the page on the "members", click on your profile avatar. It will bring up a box with your profile, and account options. At the very bottom on the right is "Ignoring" click on that and it brings up a list of members you are ignoring. At the right of each name is a box "unignore". Click on that box for each member you want to take off your list.
Hiya Smoke.
thanks for the help. I have sorted out the problem

Hiya Dan thanks to Smoke I have managed to change the settings..... years ago I kept ”reporting” Smoke by accident. Wayward thumb syndrome hitting options by acident

@Original katomi i call those "old timers". Things seem to work about 15secs before the brain actually starts directing 😁

Well, it's December 8, and the trees are finally turning color (mostly brown... I think brown is a color). My Bradford Pear is dropping it's leaves, but since I don't have a lawn, and it's windy, there is nothing to rake. My neighbor has a lawn, and all the leaves are stuck over there...
All our leaves blew across the street in early Nov., so my neighbor has multiple coupons for snow-blowing
to make up for it! Cold, damp but no sticking snow--so far!

All our leaves blew across the street in early Nov., so my neighbor has multiple coupons for snow-blowing
to make up for it! Cold, damp but no sticking snow--so far!
I never see my neighbors, maybe once in six months, so they probably don't even notice. And they have lawn services that clean up their yards, so there's that... 😂

Most reactions

Back