The Coffee House

I haven't seen the 1935 version in years - can't seem to find it anymore. šŸ˜• I love the Alistair Sim version, from 1951? I think. So good! :586:

Never seen either version with George C. Scott or Patrick Stewart - both such great actors, I imagine they chew up this part! I wonder if I could find the Patrick Stewart version streaming anywhere. šŸ¤”
I have all of them on DVD. Yes, the Alastair Sim version is excellent. The Patrick Stewart version is available on Amazon Prime Video.

I have all of them on DVD. Yes, the Alastair Sim version is excellent. The Patrick Stewart version is available on Amazon Prime Video.
If I have the time, I'll usually watch the Alastair Sim version. I saw a Patrick Stewart version, and it was good, but for me, one per year is about enough. The McGoo version is actually ok if you have kids. It's short. Today's kids probably don't know McGoo anyway, so the bad eyesight jokes won't work so well.

Hey hosers.

My holiday baking this year might include cookies, but I'm most excited about my latest adaptation of my Portuguese sweet bread rolls. I was making a batch and decided to roll some of them up with a concoction of walnuts, cinnamon, and a touch of honey that I made. They came out very good, but I decided they would be even better with a bit of homemade vanilla glaze. Next step is experimenting with different shapes or even making it into a single braided loaf instead of individual rolls, and bringing them for Christmas Eve at my sister's house.

1702926307303.png

Hey hosers.

My holiday baking this year might include cookies, but I'm most excited about my latest adaptation of my Portuguese sweet bread rolls. I was making a batch and decided to roll some of them up with a concoction of walnuts, cinnamon, and a touch of honey that I made. They came out very good, but I decided they would be even better with a bit of homemade vanilla glaze. Next step is experimenting with different shapes or even making it into a single braided loaf instead of individual rolls, and bringing them for Christmas Eve at my sister's house.

View attachment 270566
Sounds like the Swedish Tea Rings my DW makes. Same ingredients, but the dough is rolled out flat, and the walnut-honey-cinnamon mixture is spread out on the dough. Then rolled up and made into a circle/wreath and washed with eggwhite. Sharp knife to put diagonal scores all the way around. Finally, after it comes out of the oven, it is drizzled with a vanilla icing/glaze. Mmmmmmm!

Sounds like the Swedish Tea Rings my DW makes. Same ingredients, but the dough is rolled out flat, and the walnut-honey-cinnamon mixture is spread out on the dough. Then rolled up and made into a circle/wreath and washed with eggwhite. Sharp knife to put diagonal scores all the way around. Finally, after it comes out of the oven, it is drizzled with a vanilla icing/glaze. Mmmmmmm!

Yum!!

I roll it flat and spread the mixture on the dough, but then cut into triangles to roll into a crescent shape, like a croissant.

I was thinking of cutting into three strips, spreading the mixture onto each strip, then twisting or rolling the strips (depending on how well the mixture sticks to the dough) before braiding. Depending on how long it is, I could probably make it into a wreath.

Then yes, the egg wash, and I am going to see if the glaze can go in a piping bag to make it look prettier.

You people are making me hungry! :drool2: I'm sipping a cuppa right now, and I'll trouble you for one of those sweet rolls, Leo!

In other news, hosers, it snowed a bit here this afternoon. 29 degrees F out there now, so it'll still be here in the morning.

Next weekend is the four day holiday weekend, so that means watching A Christmas Carol. starting with the original 1935 , then the classic Alastair Sim version, moving on the the Geroge C. Scott version, and finally my favorite, the Patrick Stewart version.

Friday I purchased boneless chicken thighs and breasts, a bag of masa harina, corn husks, chicken broth, and Anaheim peppers, and have cumin in the pantry. Now, what to do with those ingredients hmmmm? šŸ˜ My LW tried out a new cookie recipe, and it is now on my list of favorites, dark chocolate with dark chocolate chips and a touch of cayenne pepper and cinnamon. I will recreate the recipe and try smoky ancho chile instead of cayenne.
Iā€™m currently just one chapter into my annual reading of A Christmas Carol (with original illustrations). We try to go see a live production of it every few years. Last yearā€™s was ā€œin the roundā€ and was fantastic!

Have you see The Man Who Invented Christmas about Dickens when he was writing the book? It was a fun watch, especially if youā€™re a fan of the story.

You people are making me hungry! :drool2: I'm sipping a cuppa right now, and I'll trouble you for one of those sweet rolls, Leo!

In other news, hosers, it snowed a bit here this afternoon. 29 degrees F out there now, so it'll still be here in the morning.

Rain and wind here. Lots of trees down. We had no power from 8am until 630pm! Long day.

@snowbear those are nice. Since you've been doing this awhile I'm sure your aware of the toxicity of Cocobolo dust. As I've gotten older I've become more sensitive to all dust in the shop. A mask has become a necessity

In other news all you northern members would someone please come and get Mother Nature. She's drunk again, and down South freezing us out. 19 degrees right now.

@snowbear those are nice. Since you've been doing this awhile I'm sure your aware of the toxicity of Cocobolo dust. As I've gotten older I've become more sensitive to all dust in the shop. A mask has become a necessity

In other news all you northern members would someone please come and get Mother Nature. She's drunk again, and down South freezing us out. 19 degrees right now.
She is lost. It was low 60ā€™s today in Boston area.

Morning all, rain and more rain here I have put off the Christmas shopping for several days now.... so it looks like I will have to braise the rain

Morning all. At the risk of sounding like Scrooge, I have a question for the group. At what age do you start slacking off on Christmas gifts, Birthdays, etc., for your adult children and grandchildren? With 3 kids (plus spouses) and 10 grandkids (from age 7-30), it's getting pretty expensive.

The adults have started to draw names that way itā€™s only one to get. The grandkids, we still spoil by over buying for them all. But being young less expensive stuff still makes them happy.

Iā€™m currently just one chapter into my annual reading of A Christmas Carol (with original illustrations). We try to go see a live production of it every few years. Last yearā€™s was ā€œin the roundā€ and was fantastic!

Have you see The Man Who Invented Christmas about Dickens when he was writing the book? It was a fun watch, especially if youā€™re a fan of the story.
That sounds like that would be a lot of fun! One of my kiddos starred in a community theater production, and that was fun to watch. I have not seen that documentary, but I will look for it. He really did do a lot to communicate the Victorian Christmas flavor to future generations.

The adults have started to draw names that way itā€™s only one to get. The grandkids, we still spoil by over buying for them all. But being young less expensive stuff still makes them happy.

Drawing names would be an ideal solution, but our family is spread out across the country. With jobs and travel it's difficult to impossible to all get together at the same time. Spoiling grandkids, especially when they're young is a given, but of our 12, the 5 oldest are over 21, and the 2 oldest have been out of college for several years now with good jobs.

She is lost. It was low 60ā€™s today in Boston area.
She didn't make it to Texas... mid-40's in the AM right now, and will get to about 60F today. Aaaand the hibiscus popped another flower, and it looks like there are a couple more buds that will bloom in the next week.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back