What's new

The Coffee House

Hair and Illness:

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

Before C19 I had a certain amount of body hair, including on my arms and legs. When C19 hit, I got sick and got better and did not notice my body hair. Then one day I noticed it. My forearms and calves went "bald". Not much else changed as far as I could tell, but I did notice that the hair had gone as described. Ok, it's been years now. I recently noticed that the forearm hair is starting to come back. Hairs are about 1/8" to 1/4" and distributed similarly to before. There has not be a substantial return to my calves. Anyway, if you have any kind of baldness resulting from C19, I can say that it might not be permanent. That's about all I can say about it. . . .
 
Hair and Illness:

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

Before C19 I had a certain amount of body hair, including on my arms and legs. When C19 hit, I got sick and got better and did not notice my body hair. Then one day I noticed it. My forearms and calves went "bald". Not much else changed as far as I could tell, but I did notice that the hair had gone as described. Ok, it's been years now. I recently noticed that the forearm hair is starting to come back. Hairs are about 1/8" to 1/4" and distributed similarly to before. There has not be a substantial return to my calves. Anyway, if you have any kind of baldness resulting from C19, I can say that it might not be permanent. That's about all I can say about it. . . .

I had some hair thinning after the Covid vax and booster. It is back to normal now. Still have the tinnitus most days. It faded then came back after the 2nd booster. I’m hoping that will go away again at some point.
 
Fresh brown bread is delish - it's made with molasses and steamed, and it has a really nice rich flavor. I've never had it from a can and I'll be honest, I never want to.

But now I want to make some.

Edit: As I started looking for recipes, I found out that it was often steamed in cans. I personally have only ever had it in restaurants and it was never round, and I also never saw that product you linked to in stores, so I didn't realize that brown bread in a can was a thing. I imagine it's similar to something like an English steamed pudding like spotted dick that I have seen sold in cans.

This is what I'm more used to: Traditional Irish Brown Bread Recipe
The recipe you linked looks good. I bookmarked and will put on my list to make.
 
Dreamed about these. We sometimes play this sick game: you're getting fried in the chair tomorrow and have to choose a last meal and discuss your choice at length. Me? It's baozi, especially the BBQ pork variety:


Hoping finally to re-connect after prolonged pandemic interruptions with my old HK crew soon for New Year's in Markham, a Toronto 'burb where many things Chinese moved years ago from downtown. Looking forward to Johnnie Walker Black in the teapots at the grown-up table! Hours of conversation and delightfully pointless debates are certain.
 
Last edited:
Dreamed about these. We sometimes play this sick game: you're getting fried in the chair tomorrow and have to choose a last meal and discuss your choice at length. Me? It's baozi, especially the BBQ pork variety:


Hoping finally to re-connect after prolonged pandemic interruptions with my old HK crew soon for New Year's in Markham, a Toronto 'burb where many things Chinese moved years ago from downtown. Looking forward to Johnnie Walker Black in the teapots at the grown-up table! Hours of conversation and delightfully pointless debates are certain.
Used to get something similar when I lived in Hawaii called Manapua. Fluffy steamed buns with a BBQ meat filling. Mmmmmmm.
 
Heya! Happy Monday! It's sunny and 60F today after a weekend of clouds and rain. That's Mother Nature sticking her finger in your eye for ya. Hope this is not a portent of things to come, but I'm getting articles in my inbox with titles like, "How to start a two-stage snow blower..." 😬
 
Heya! Happy Monday! It's sunny and 60F today after a weekend of clouds and rain. That's Mother Nature sticking her finger in your eye for ya. Hope this is not a portent of things to come, but I'm getting articles in my inbox with titles like, "How to start a two-stage snow blower..." 😬
More than happy to offer a personal in-depth tutorial on their care and feeding, Jeff. No charge, naturally!

Miraculously, my blower hasn't seen much action so far. But then there's March...
 
Last edited:
Sunny and a brisk 50 degrees. Went for another walk at the Watershed. Finally the geese are coming back after being gone for a year. They are everywhere else around here and I don't know why they haven't been at the Watershed. The 2 herons are absent now.
 
More than happy to offer a personal in-depth tutorial on their care and feeding, Jeff. No charge, naturally!

Miraculously, my blower hasn't seen much action so far. But then there's March...
I'm used to starting a crank mower, so I'm sure that isn't too much different. These days I use battery powered mowers and tools, so it would probably be an electric blower too. My bigger concern is why I'm getting these kinds of ads in the first place, do they know something I don't know? Is my wife going to get so fed up with Texas that she's going to drag me to Wisconsin? Are we going to experience another ice age in Texas? Inquiring minds want to know, otherwise I'll be awake at two in the morning wondering what the Universe is trying to tell me with these ads.
 
According to the local news here....it's been nearly 70 days since we had a day that was full sunshine and that streak ended Sunday. I forgot what the sky looked like..def got me outside a little bit although looks are deceiving because it was still really really cold. I tried walking around with the camera but dang my hand got cold to the point I couldn't feel them to operate any of the buttons. I have yet to find gloves that allow fine control so I just go commando lol.
 
I'm used to starting a crank mower, so I'm sure that isn't too much different. These days I use battery powered mowers and tools, so it would probably be an electric blower too. My bigger concern is why I'm getting these kinds of ads in the first place, do they know something I don't know? Is my wife going to get so fed up with Texas that she's going to drag me to Wisconsin? Are we going to experience another ice age in Texas? Inquiring minds want to know, otherwise I'll be awake at two in the morning wondering what the Universe is trying to tell me with these ads.
Just an index of internet traffic volume--like Taylor Swift's dress at the Grammys but more consequential. Think you're safe in Texas from Halifax weather--if nothing else.
 
Just asked my mom and aunt about brown bread in the can and they are now determined to have some. Apparently it was a big treat when they were growing up.
 
Just asked my mom and aunt about brown bread in the can and they are now determined to have some. Apparently it was a big treat when they were growing up.
Next best thing? A Pullman loaf pan! Photo gear and kitchen gear locked in mortal combat for space in our crib!
 
We are hopefully back to our normal February weather patterns. Highs 57-65 during the days and lows 30-40 of a night.

Thankfully we were able to close out our past year and get everything ready to send to the CPA, this past week. Always a PITA that doesn't get any easier.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom