What's new

The Coffee House

Find myself leaning away from convoluted editing and excess gear in 2024 toward my minimal street bag(Ricoh GR II, Fuji X-100T) and the look of online mags like Hamburger Eyes(HAMBURGER EYES – Photo Magazine). Sensing social and political turbulence building that I'd like to catch this year. If it all gets too hairy then it's retreat into the studio with medium format kits and co-conspirator models.
 
It's going to warm up from cloudy 40s to partly sunny 50x, does that count as 1st spring??

Shhh, stop it! I am finally getting proper winter after at least 2-3 years. I don't want to think about even fake one-day spring yet!
 
Find myself leaning away from convoluted editing

It depends on what and how I'm shooting, I always strive to get the best SOOC, with the heavy editing limited to only the very best of the set. I use a lot of standardized procedures along with copy & paste, but still you can run up several hours on a half dozen shots with complex editing. If my SOOC files are good many times they only get edited in LR, where I can edit large batches quickly.
 
In other news here, across the state people are receiving their electricity bills and they aren't happy. If you were one of the lucky ones, your bill was double the December's bill, the unlucky ones are seeing even higher. Bills of $1200 to $1500 aren't that unusual. Some of the smaller utility providers even started calling customers last week to tip them off. The utility companies are blaming it on the high use caused by the arctic blast. Our house was built to be an energy efficient, all electric home with two heat pumps. Our bill hardly ever goes over $250 (summer or winter), this month it hit $460. That's highest we've seen since the house was built 16 years ago. Heat pumps work great at 30 and above, but below that they're useless, they have heat strips that kick in. When they do, the meter spins like a top.

Temperatures in the single digits here are unusual, hopefully the rest of our winter will get back to normal. If they don't we may have to put a wood stove in the basement. 😕
 
Good morning! Another day in the 70's today. Since cold in Texas is cold without purpose, I'm glad to have the balmy days. The wet weather will return just in time for the weekend and in the 60's creeping back up to the 70's by the end of next week. Nice being able to open the house up each day to let it freshen out a bit.
 
Yesterday was in the 40s and sunny. Had a good walk at the nature center. It was a little brisk. Today in the 60s. Husband took advantage of the weather to get the chain saw out and take care of a few branches that broke off of the evergreen trees when it snowed a month ago.
 
Howdy folks! Yesterday was quite the day! Once a year we have a rally where I work, where Leadership gives us a state-of-the-airline report, what our goals for the year are, and an all around pep rally. Lots of fun and meeting up with people I haven't seen in a while. It became extra special for me, because I won two positive space tix on Cayman Airlines, which means I guess I'll have to suffer and visit the Cayman Islands this year. (Note: get passports) I've already discovered two places of interest, the QE II botanical gardens, and hiking trails in the jungles that offer a lot of opportunities for birding and getting shots of blue iguanas, which are an endangered species. And it was in the 70's here again. So, how was your day?
 
I'm a bit frustrated today. Was involved in an online argument in the comments about AI Photography and so many people are on the same page agreeing that photography is dead and that it's pretty much irrelevant now and that creating photographs using AI will be the way of the future because you can create your vision without physically going to a location, using a camera or anything like that. It made me feel really bummed out that's how photography has evolved.
 
made me feel really bummed out that's how photography has evolved.

I started the journey in the 60's, embraced and utilized the advantages of digital and currently exploring how to incorporate AI in my photography. A painter doesn't use just one brush, a composer doesn't limit themselves to notes ftom only one instrument, and a photographer adapts to use all the tools available. 😉
 
I'm a bit frustrated today. Was involved in an online argument in the comments about AI Photography and so many people are on the same page agreeing that photography is dead and that it's pretty much irrelevant now and that creating photographs using AI will be the way of the future because you can create your vision without physically going to a location, using a camera or anything like that. It made me feel really bummed out that's how photography has evolved.
I wouldn't let it drag you down. As someone who works in technology, I'm all in favor of automation, robotics, and AI, but it will always have it's limits. Sure AI may be able to compose a symphony or a work of art, but it won't be able to mark it as "Created by a real human" and there will always be people who will only want something created by another human. In fact, human created art and music will probably become more desirable. At the end of the day, there will always be things where people will prefer humans involved in the process. People will still want to go out to eat and be served by a human server and have their food prepped by a human chef. Who cares if a robot flips a burger and packages it and brings it to you, but in higher end establishments, people will want that human touch. That goes for so many things. The future will be automated and robots will take over many if not all of the menial tasks, and many complex tasks that people do today. The bigger question is, what will people do? Well, I think they will create art and music, furniture and photographs, songs, and gardens. I think the future holds a society where currency becomes non-existent, except in the most backward of places, and people will have more freedom to do what they enjoy, or even nothing at all. At the end of the day, we will look for the "Made by Humans" label on the bottom of the vase, and life will be good.
 
I started the journey in the 60's, embraced and utilized the advantages of digital and currently exploring how to incorporate AI in my photography. A painter doesn't use just one brush, a composer doesn't limit themselves to notes ftom only one instrument, and a photographer adapts to use all the tools available. 😉
Then I guess perhaps I'm not a real artist. I just don't like it.
 
Then I guess perhaps I'm not a real artist. I just don't like it.

You have every right to not like it or use it and still be considered a photographer and an artist. Just because some decide to expand their toolbox doesn't mean it's the right thing for everyone else. It's not a requirement for everyone's creative process. You do what makes *you* happy and what helps *your* creative process.
 
You have every right to not like it or use it and still be considered a photographer and an artist. Just because some decide to expand their toolbox doesn't mean it's the right thing for everyone else. It's not a requirement for everyone's creative process. You do what makes *you* happy and what helps *your* creative process.

I have no problems with people wanting to expand their toolboxes. I know that I don't have to use them and that's my choice. But I really miss the way photography used to be I guess and I'm somebody who struggles with changes whereas others simply embrace it. I'm different I guess. Everytime I go out to take photos I keep asking myself, what's the point anymore? Photography was something I used to enjoy and now I feel like its being taken away or changed into something I don't like and I'm having a hard time letting it go.
 
I have no problems with people wanting to expand their toolboxes. I know that I don't have to use them and that's my choice. But I really miss the way photography used to be I guess and I'm somebody who struggles with changes whereas others simply embrace it. I'm different I guess. Everytime I go out to take photos I keep asking myself, what's the point anymore? Photography was something I used to enjoy and now I feel like its being taken away or changed into something I don't like and I'm having a hard time letting it go.
You take great photographs and people appreciate them. That's the point.
 
I have no problems with people wanting to expand their toolboxes. I know that I don't have to use them and that's my choice. But I really miss the way photography used to be I guess and I'm somebody who struggles with changes whereas others simply embrace it. I'm different I guess. Everytime I go out to take photos I keep asking myself, what's the point anymore? Photography was something I used to enjoy and now I feel like its being taken away or changed into something I don't like and I'm having a hard time letting it go.

Why do you feel like it is being taken away from you? If you don't enjoy it anymore, that's fine. There's nothing that says a hobby has to be a lifetime hobby. But maybe you need to figure out why what other people do makes you feel like you can't do what you want to do anymore.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom