What's new

The Coffee House

A bit of a surprise guest early this morning when I went to take out the trash. He was just a baby. Tipped over the can and shooed him on his way in the direction of the nearest bunch of trees.
. . .

Be careful with this guy, raccoons can carry rabies. Which brings back an odd memory. A neighbor brought home a dog that immediately bit me. So, not taking chances, I went to a hospital and got a rabies shot -- the only one I had in my life. I don't remember it costing me anything, so it was just annoying.
 
About annoying thoughts: When I was young, I learned to sew a bit. I have been making minor repairs to my clothes for years, and have built up a collection of threads. But for recent years, I have not been able to find 100% cotton. But I really do need 100% cotton because most of what I wear is pure cotton and practically, you cannot fix them with blends. I would have to travel miles to get cotton. The time and cost would be ridiculous.
 
They have 100% cotton sewing thread on Amazon, but I understand that not everyone likes shopping online. The introvert that I am, I prefer it. :)
I try to avoid Amazon in general, but when regular brick & mortar stores have an online presence I'm generally grateful. I'm not much of a shopper. Outside of art supply stores of course. :1247:
 
So, the mama fox squirrel came to visit us and brought her youngun. Apparently a single kit (or pup) isn't unusual. We watched from across the yard as she tried to convince him to follow her over to the porch, but (s)he was having none of it. :lol:

My crappy cell phone shots:

20240602_153520.webp


20240602_153525.webp



20240602_153646.webp


She's still coming to visit us daily - likes her walnut pieces. But we've not seen the little one since.
 
Happy hump day hosers! It's still very soggy in North Texas, and more rain is on the way. Lakes are over flowing, hiking trails are flooded, yard is muddy, and were under constant areal and flash flood warnings. What sucks is that they close all the trails along the lake.
 
Happy hump day hosers! It's still very soggy in North Texas, and more rain is on the way. Lakes are over flowing, hiking trails are flooded, yard is muddy, and were under constant areal and flash flood warnings. What sucks is that they close all the trails along the lake.
Sorry for that. I'm sure it's like most government - liability concerns. It looks we're getting like storms and a flood watch this afternoon. We aren't too bothered by the flooding. The nearest creek is far below our elevation (about 150 feet lower) and any water we cross during the commute is at least 30 feet below he road. That leaves rain accumulating on the patio (off of basement so a little below grade) and storm drains getting blocked.
 
Last edited:
Sorry for that. I'm sure it's like most government - liability concerns. It looks we're getting like storms and a flood watch this afternoon. We aren't too bothered by the flooding. The nearest creek is far below our elevation and any water we cross during the commute is at least 30 feet below he road. That leaves rain accumulating on the patio (off of basement so a little below grade) and storm drains getting blocked.
Fortunaley, we are high enough up, even though we are only a 1/4 mile from the lake shore, that we won't have any problems. That and we are at 590ft elevation, and the top of the dam is at 560ft elevation. If the water level gets to our house, we'll definitely be in the news.
 
Horrible find out by the creek yesterday. Came across a dead duck and there was blue twine around i thought it got caught up, but no.

A stupid hunter tied 5 or 6 ducks together and put them under a tree and the stupid hunter never took the kills home.

What a waste of life!
 
Hi Hosers! Humid here today. Got the new pool up and filled over the weekend. This pool is small compared to the previous one. 14x7 vs 24x12. Water is almost swimmable but still a bit cold for my taste. Give me a hot tub any day!!! In fact that’s the next addition to the backyard. That’s why we needed to downsize the pool. Plus, nobody really goes in it anymore now that princess and my nephews are older - unless we have a party. My mom takes a daily swim though, so we have to have a pool. Starting hot tub research in 5-4-3…

IMG_8509.webp
 
Tornado warning with one on the ground to our NW (different Counties). It rained here earlier but isn't doing anything ATM.

I'm doing some basic searching for a non-photo backpack. The one I have is OK but I prefer a couple outside pockets, which this lacks. I'm planniong on attending a 2-day conference in October and the timing of the flight vs check-in will make a backpack better than a suitcase. It would also allow me to get out a day earlier. Leaning towards a MOLLE pack but I'll have to get a color other than black - the photo pack is a black MOLLE model.
 
Hi Hosers! Humid here today. Got the new pool up and filled over the weekend. This pool is small compared to the previous one. 14x7 vs 24x12. Water is almost swimmable but still a bit cold for my taste. Give me a hot tub any day!!! In fact that’s the next addition to the backyard. That’s why we needed to downsize the pool. Plus, nobody really goes in it anymore now that princess and my nephews are older - unless we have a party. My mom takes a daily swim though, so we have to have a pool. Starting hot tub research in 5-4-3…

View attachment 275983

MLSIL sent the link for a house listing. The first thing I would do is either remove the pool, or stock it with trout and bass.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom