What's new

The Coffee House

Haven't determined if we're brave or getting senile. Headed out later this week for a few days in the Smokies with Lil'Bit. This will he the first multi day trip with us away from home. Is it possible to be excited and scared at the same time? 🤔
Oh, she's certainly old enough not to need too much entertaining by you elders. Just get her to the fun stuff and y'all will have a great time.

The Smokies should still look beautiful despite being past peak. Take lots of pictures and have fun!

(Then tell us later if it turned into a nightmare....) :popcorn:
 
(Then tell us later if it turned into a nightmare....)
The longest time away has been 3 nights, she did well (but her favorite cousin was here). Other times she's done okay until Mom called right before bedtime. Mom is under strict orders that she is to call in the morning or early afternoon!!!

This isn't the first trip with grand kids, our oldest grandson, started going with us when he was 4. He didn't want to go home, when it was time he cried. The others have been at various times as well, the oldest girls got a little homesick, the boys not so much.
 
Haven't determined if we're brave or getting senile. Headed out later this week for a few days in the Smokies with Lil'Bit. This will he the first multi day trip with us away from home. Is it possible to be excited and scared at the same time? 🤔
I get that. I work for an airline, but haven't flown in years and really anxious and excited about our trip to the Caymans. Have no idea what awaits us, other than it looks like it's going to rain several of the days. As for the Smokies, a beautiful area. I've been trying to get my brother and sister to go in with us and rent one of those 12 person cabins and spend a week during the summer enjoying not being in urbia or suburbia.
 
@jeffashman at one point in my life I lived on a plane criss-crossing the country. I remember sitting on a runway at Laguadia on a Friday evening in the middle of a snow storm. There were crews deicing and the only the only thing I was worried about, was when they were going to get the &^%$# thing airborne so I could get home. I've survived lightning strikes, an engine fire on a puddle jumper, a pop-up tornado at Memphis, and so many delays I Iost count. The most depressing place in the world is an airport on a Friday night waiting on a connection home. It's been at least 20 years or more since I've been on a plane (DW can't fly because of immune deficiency) and I'll admit I'd be a little apprehensive to get on one now.

As to the mountains there are a ton of rental properties that are reasonably priced. We RV there frequently, but for family events we'll rent a cabin to hold everyone. We love the area, it's a mixture of the typical tourist traps, and the wide open mountains. Within minutes you can go from one to the other.
 
We decided to hold off on the generator until spring. The fuel company won't be there until next weekend to assess where to put the propane tanks, and may not be able to get them on site and trenches dug before the ground freezes. We don't want a generator just sitting there, unuseable, so we will proceed with the electrical prep work and take care of the generator is Spring. Painters are on site filling nail holes and drywall cracks, and the floors are ordered and should be there soon.

A couple of the "before" shots:

The "side room" off the kitchen. I think this was used as an office, and is the extension to the house. We plan to enlarge it and make it our bedroom.

IMG_1617.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

What will be MLSIL's bedroom

IMG_1604.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

The living room (though I'd rather make this our bedroom)

IMG_1600.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Bathroom

IMG_1606.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr
 
@jeffashman at one point in my life I lived on a plane criss-crossing the country. I remember sitting on a runway at Laguadia on a Friday evening in the middle of a snow storm. There were crews deicing and the only the only thing I was worried about, was when they were going to get the &^%$# thing airborne so I could get home. I've survived lightning strikes, an engine fire on a puddle jumper, a pop-up tornado at Memphis, and so many delays I Iost count. The most depressing place in the world is an airport on a Friday night waiting on a connection home. It's been at least 20 years or more since I've been on a plane (DW can't fly because of immune deficiency) and I'll admit I'd be a little apprehensive to get on one now.

As to the mountains there are a ton of rental properties that are reasonably priced. We RV there frequently, but for family events we'll rent a cabin to hold everyone. We love the area, it's a mixture of the typical tourist traps, and the wide open mountains. Within minutes you can go from one to the other.
Our adventure is getting even better as time passes... 😂 we are arriving in Miami 1:30PM and our Cayman Airways flight was supposed to depart at 7:40PM. Now the CA flight isn't supposed to depart until 9:00PM due to a storm system, so we'll be spending the afternoon in the international terminal in Miami. On the positive side, the weather outlook for Friday and Saturday are partly cloudy and 80F, so those should be two beautiful days. Sunday will more clouds, but still 81F and dry. Rain on Monday, so we'll have to find indoor activities. Still looking for it to be a fun time.
 
We decided to hold off on the generator until spring. The fuel company won't be there until next weekend to assess where to put the propane tanks, and may not be able to get them on site and trenches dug before the ground freezes. We don't want a generator just sitting there, unuseable, so we will proceed with the electrical prep work and take care of the generator is Spring. Painters are on site filling nail holes and drywall cracks, and the floors are ordered and should be there soon.

A couple of the "before" shots:

The "side room" off the kitchen. I think this was used as an office, and is the extension to the house. We plan to enlarge it and make it our bedroom.

IMG_1617.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

What will be MLSIL's bedroom

IMG_1604.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

The living room (though I'd rather make this our bedroom)

IMG_1600.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Bathroom

IMG_1606.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr
Looks like a wonderful place! We wanna see pix of you jumping on that trampoline... 😁
 
Getting there is always half the fun.

Looks like a wonderful place! We wanna see pix of you jumping on that trampoline... 😁
Not a chance. The first thing I do next weekend is start pulling that apart. I might go get an oxy-a torch, just for that!
 
I just posted a reading of a book excerpt. One thing I have not mentioned is that over the last year I lost two teeth, and one of those within the last couple of months. The last reading files I posted were a problem. I have been learning to talk again, and I have problems with "S" sometimes. It's a sloppy lisp sometimes. So I guess it is good for me to do stuff like this because it gives me some exercise.

At least it's unlikely I'll lose another one soon. Geez, I hope not. :)

""​
 
I just posted a reading of a book excerpt. One thing I have not mentioned is that over the last year I lost two teeth, and one of those within the last couple of months. The last reading files I posted were a problem. I have been learning to talk again, and I have problems with "S" sometimes. It's a sloppy lisp sometimes. So I guess it is good for me to do stuff like this because it gives me some exercise.

At least it's unlikely I'll lose another one soon. Geez, I hope not. :)

""​

Two WWI classics you might enjoy for readings:
Paul Fussell, "The Great War and Modern Memory."
Denis Winter, "Death's Men."
Watched these on Remembrance Day:
"1917" and Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old."
 
Two WWI classics you might enjoy for readings:
Paul Fussell, "The Great War and Modern Memory."
Denis Winter, "Death's Men."
Watched these on Remembrance Day:
"1917" and Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old."
I'll definitely do some of that. Much thanks for the recommendations!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom