The Coffee House

He always prounounced the /l/ in would, could, and should, and insisted on giving the past tense -ed a full syllable. He worked his tail off as a manual laborer to support his wife and five children and make sure we all went to college, even though he didn't have a high school diploma himself and never had time to go to school. Not even to polish his English. He switched between his 3 other languages all the time and sometimes needed us to "translate" some of the subtleties of the language or accent that he didn't quite understand. People still tell me about how his name was known around the county as "the guy who could fix anything." He had a great sense of humor and a terrible temper; a vibrant though undisciplined intelligence; and a fierce love for his family.

I still miss him.

rs Papa.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's Father's Day, so Happy Day to all the dads. It's been 10 years since my dad slipped the surly bonds of earth. He was my hero, and I miss him every day.

But TODAY...today was all about Mama. Well, and it was also my favorite holiday--the first day of Summer!

Today THIS happened:

Mama_Westmoreland.jpg

^THAT is my Mama, sitting up in a wheelchair, AWAKE and alert and conversational!! Up until yesterday, it looked like she just didn't even have any more fight left in her. But she had a good day yesterday, and went out on the porch of the rehab facility last night--first time she'd been outside (other than in ambulances) since Memorial Day! She repeated the feat this afternoon and we sat out on the porch for about 30 minutes.

The pain finally got the best of her, but this is such a huge improvement over the previous many days. That hematoma is still as likely to be the death of her as not, but this was tremendously encouraging.

My mother is tough as nails. :D

That's really terrific, Sharon. Every moment is important. I lost my dad 16 years ago, but my Mom is 85 and doing fairly well. I think of my dad sometimes when something happens or I read something that I would like to tell him about and then I feel sad because I can't.

Morning, hosers! Monday has a face and it's an evil one indeed.

Oh no, kitty! If that hadn't turned out okay, I would have hunted you down for posting it ;)

Buenos Dias Coffee Hosers. Yesterday was nice and relaxing. Amy came over with her overly-active, hyper , adolescent Golden Retriever. (The dog's name is Holly-No.) Holly and Cook had fun. At the end of the day and their fun, we had to hose them off. Amy wanted to go here and go there ... fly kites ... and such ... but we ended up firing up the Kamado, drinking Sangria and watching Sharknado. A nice day.

PS- On Saturday Mary Lou and I watched the 3D version of Jurassic World ... extremely entertaining, well worth seeing. (But it is too scary for the youngsters.)

Morning, Hosers!

Was a great Father's day here. My wife and kid let me take a nap, went to a cookout... was a good time. Went to a wedding on Saturday and got a little on the drunk side. Still haven't been able to fully wake up though... Sheesh

Afternoon, hosers.

Where's everyone been lately? I need to be entertained! :D

Time for an afternoon coffee. Buzz is meeting with a fellow filmwaster today to go for a hike and some pictures. It's a distinct possibility that they will be done right around dinner time, which might take place at the Peekskill Brewery (so our friend can then hop the train back to the city where he lives.) So let's keep our fingers crossed that their timing coincides with me getting out of work so I can go enjoy dinner and a frothy beverage with them. I need something to look forward to.

wMm6BuJ.gif

Most reactions

Back