What's new

The Coffee House

We have a gas fireplace, would never go back to wood now. It saved our bacon twice when electricity was off for a week or more after ice storms.
 
We have a gas fireplace, would never go back to wood now. It saved our bacon twice when electricity was off for a week or more after ice storms.
I run generators. But it cost like thirty to forty bucks a day when we lose power. which sucks.
 
I like making a fire in the stove. My father used to drag dead trees from the woods and chop it into firewood himself. We always had fires. I used to love watching him build up the fire in the stove. He built that, too. It's massive. Seriously, I could get rid of a body in that thing ;) He made special tools, too, with extra long handles.

I spent hours watching him to learn how to build and keep a fire going on that stove. Most of the time he'd keep the door open so I could watch the fire for a few minutes.
 
well yeah, because the entire sky is overexposed and washed out....
That is called overcast. A thin marine layer of fog/cloud mix. I don't do HDR so I exposed for the most important element in the frame and overcast clouds isn't important to me.
 
We haven't used our fireplace in years. I haven't any provisions for a power outage. We get them occasionally, every few years when something in the neighborhood unexpectedly goes out. Usually, the outage will last a minute or two and rarely extends into hours.
 
When we lived on the farm, we had a wood stove in the basement. We'd start a fire Friday after work, run it all weekend, and the LP furnace would not come on all weekend.

I used mostly standing dead elm. Plentiful, easy to drag up to the house, and easy to split.

We don't have a fireplace in the current house because we have a high-efficiency ground-source heat pump, so I chose not to have a fireplace thinking that with all that efficiency, I would be defeating the purpose.
 
Cranberry sauce is done, pies are done, salmon is marinating, and the potatoes are boiling for me to mash them. I'm really pleased with the pumpkin pie. I'd been wanting to do one from fresh pumpkins for a while now and this year I finally did, mostly because sugar pumpkins were easier to find this year for some reason. It really wasn't that hard and it tastes really good (I had extra filling and extra dough, so I made a mini pie and just cut into it to test.)

This means the only cooking prep I have to do tomorrow is throw the salmon in the oven. Otherwise I'll get a nice quiet morning to myself.

My head is still pounding. The power is thankfully still on and I think the snow has stopped. I'm going to make a small fire because I feel like it.
 
Cranberry sauce is done, pies are done, salmon is marinating, and the potatoes are boiling for me to mash them. I'm really pleased with the pumpkin pie. I'd been wanting to do one from fresh pumpkins for a while now and this year I finally did, mostly because sugar pumpkins were easier to find this year for some reason. It really wasn't that hard and it tastes really good (I had extra filling and extra dough, so I made a mini pie and just cut into it to test.)

This means the only cooking prep I have to do tomorrow is throw the salmon in the oven. Otherwise I'll get a nice quiet morning to myself.

My head is still pounding. The power is thankfully still on and I think the snow has stopped. I'm going to make a small fire because I feel like it.
I should go plow at some point. Or no one will be getting in drives for thanksgiving. Or I can do it in the a.m. Probably take a camera and get some more photos too... hmm.
 
Well, Dumb & Dumber 2 was a "terrible" flick! But don't tell my grandson........... he laughed his butt off lol!!
 
My head is still pounding. The power is thankfully still on and I think the snow has stopped. I'm going to make a small fire because I feel like it.
Most of us have one thing or another to deal with. I'm just glad I don't get headaches (outside of an occasional hangover). When I was a kid I got them but no more. Sure wish you the best on this one. :-)
 
My head is still pounding. The power is thankfully still on and I think the snow has stopped. I'm going to make a small fire because I feel like it.
Most of us have one thing or another to deal with. I'm just glad I don't get headaches (outside of an occasional hangover). When I was a kid I got them but no more. Sure wish you the best on this one. :)

Thanks :icon_hug: It's bad this morning but I've got my cold pack, some coffee and a pair of dark sunglasses (light sensitivity). Advil helps a little bit. Won't really go away until tomorrow afternoon, but it gets manageable.
 
Happy T-Day everyone. I'm headed out to the Desert today to meet some old friends. Should be in the upper 80's here today. Good luck with that Leonore. :-)
 
Headache is slowly easing enough to be manageable. Driveway is plowed so I don't have to shovel. Going to get on the stationary bike to start accounting for the day's gluttony. Then I'll cook the salmon, pack up all the food, and head on out to dinner.
 
Happy Thanksgiving all you Coffee Hosers. It is a bit cool right now. But I'm in the patio with my first cup reading the paper, watching the fish ... fish about.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom