The Corry, Unimaxium, and clarinetJWD NYC Adventure, 2009 edition.

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
Here we go! The 3 of us spent a great 4 nights in New York this year for New Years, so I figure it warrents a meetup thread :p

Here are my contributions!

1. It Towers over Towers

2. Manhattan from the Bridge

3. Morning Routine

4. Me and Thousands of My Closest Friends. (Times Square, New Years Eve)

And now for the meet-uppy pictures with us in them!
5. Morimoto (Excuse the quality of the photo. THe quality of the food makes up for it.)

6. One more, and I will kill you! (She says...)

7. Three Stooges (Again, point and shoot + low light = this quality)

Happy New Years everyone!

Happy New Years!

Can't wait for more photos, and somebody sticky this!

Ok, here's my first batch.

Note: These are all SNAPSHOTS taken with the point and shoot digicam Joe gave me for Christmas!

1) Me and Joe. A little blurry, but I had to post, because yes . . . that window in the background DOES say B & H. ;)
MeJoeBandHsm.jpg

2) Eating a lemon? No. Joe's favorite pasttime is messing up my pictures.
LemonFaceJoeSM.jpg

3) Sky, chimping!
SkyChimpSM.jpg

4) Joe's friend and old roomie, Dmitriy, who lives in NYC, told Joe a while back that he needed to be educated on good pizza. So while we were there, he took us to Grimaldi's Pizza, under the Brooklyn Bridge, where we waited in line outside for two hours in the cold. He's lucky it was good pizza. Very lucky.
DmitriyPizzaSM.jpg

5) I did tell you that Joe likes to mess up my pictures, right?
MeJoePizzaPlaceSM.jpg

6) The four of us, after pizza
MeJoeDmitriySkySM.jpg

7) Joe is a very happy man after eating the MEAL OF OUR LIVES at Morimoto
MorimotoJoeSM.jpg

8) Want more proof of the phenomenal-ness of our meal? Sky is smiling in this picture, even though his wallet is out, about to pay out the wazoo (TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!) for the preceeding 8 (was it 8?) courses of ecstacy.
MorimotoSkySM.jpg

9) Next it was Bar hopping . . . er . . . uh . . . sampling the area watering holes? Eh, face it, we were bar hopping . . . starting in Greenwich Village, and ending at a Tiki Bar near our hotel in Brooklyn.
That's just iced tea in my glass, I swear.
MeTikiBarSM.jpg

10) Joe's still happy from Morimoto, I think.
JoeTikiBarSM.jpg

11) I'm pretty sure I was feelin' goooood at this point.
JoeMeTikiBarSM.jpg

12) Wake up you silly sleepy head! (I'm pretty sure Sky will kill me for posting this, but it's totally worth it! :p )
SleepySkySM.jpg

13) Goo goo g'joob!
JoeChineseGrillSM.jpg

14) Me!
MeChineseGrillSM.jpg

15) Taken only minutes after zombies ate his brains.
SkyChineseGrillSM.jpg

16) New Years Day, waiting outside the Museum of Modern Art.
JoeSkyMoMAsm.jpg

17) You can't tell it from this picture, but we're standing in the middle of thousands of people in Times Square here, on New Year's Eve. This is probably my favorite picture of the whole week. Me and my two favorite people in the entire world. I don't know what life would be like without them.
SkyMeJoeTimesSquareNYEsmall.jpg

18) And then they just got creepy. Shortly after this picture was taken, they robbed me.
MeJoeSkyTimesSquareCreepySM.jpg

19) Sky found a great hidden Korean Billiards place, and we went there after ringing in the New Year in Time Square.
MeKoreanBilliardsSM.jpg

20) Mmmmm! Sake!
JoeKoreanBilliardsSM.jpg

21) Me and my best friend! :D
MeJoeKoreanBilliardsSM.jpg

22) I'm mad that this isn't sharper. It could have been a great picture! Even if it is obvious that we're both feelin' the sake at this point. :p
MeSkyKoreanBilliardsSM.jpg

23) After the billiards place, we went to the Town Tavern, a bar we'd found on our previous adventure in Greenwich Village. Um . . . yeah . . . Joe and Sky had to help me walk home after this.
JoeMeTownTavernSM.jpg

24) Saying goodbye to Sky at the Amtrak station the next day. I'm also suffering from my very first hangover EVER in this picture.
MeSkyAmtrakSM.jpg

Oh, and two more very poor quality pictures taken with mine and Sky's iPhones. I haven't edited them at all. They had to be included, because they make me laugh.

25) It was so cold waiting for midnight, we were all VERY reluctant to take off our gloves for anything. Since the iPhone only responds to the touch of your skin, I resorted to texting and posting on facebook with my nose. I got quite good at it, too. And yes, I am wearing (sortof) Joe's flappy hat.
Sky took this with his iPhone.
IMG_0623.jpg

26) After 7 hours of standing in one place in the freezing cold in Times Square, Joe and I were hungry, and wanting something on a stick. We were walking to the Korean Billiards place when Joe didn't notice that we were walking right past an 'on-a-stick' vendor. After I stopped him and pointed it out, he marched right up to the vendor, pointed, and said, "I'll have one of those on a stick, please!" :p
IMG_0614.jpg

Wow. Cool thread!
I saw Corry's on Facebook before and became all wistful, thinking how much I miss the three of you here on TPF, and how much I miss to see "clarinetJWD"-pics here on TPF! Any of them. You have always been so much of an inspiration to me! Where others saw that a building had a ceiling (for example), "well, o-kay, a ceeeiling, don't they all have ceilings?" you saw the extra in the ceiling, where it was special, and you knew how to frame that (FOR example only). And now look at the composition of that Christmas-tree-skyscraper photo...! Are you surprised to hear I miss you? (I mean, didn't we also have a nice time back then in DC when we all met?)

Great to see you back, to see that you had such a good time and sooo much fun!

Great set of pics, everyone! (Well, Corry and Joe anyway. Sky hasn't posted yet ....
th_basta.gif
)

You've really got some excellent shots of each other (despite Joe's best efforts to act up in them). And I really like the 'Manhattan from the Bridge' shot (looks like it was taken from a high-up spot...from where did you take it?)

Looks like you had a great, but cold, time in Times Square. I watched it on TV and looked for you but didn't see you (perhaps because of the robber masks).
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Wow. Cool thread!
I saw Corry's on Facebook before and became all wistful, thinking how much I miss the three of you here on TPF, and how much I miss to see "clarinetJWD"-pics here on TPF! Any of them. You have always been so much of an inspiration to me! Where others saw that a building had a ceiling (for example), "well, o-kay, a ceeeiling, don't they all have ceilings?" you saw the extra in the ceiling, where it was special, and you knew how to frame that (FOR example only). And now look at the composition of that Christmas-tree-skyscraper photo...! Are you surprised to hear I miss you? (I mean, didn't we also have a nice time back then in DC when we all met?)

Great to see you back, to see that you had such a good time and sooo much fun!

:blush: I'm so flattered.

Thanks so much Corinna, it means a lot! I've actually been taking pictures fairly constantly, but never get around to editing them anymore, but I've set out to do a lot more this year...

Looks like I managed to ruin quite a few this year! Nice set, Corry

You messed up WAY more than that. I have a couple of hundred pictures, remember? This is just a teensy selection of them. I haven't even touched the pics from Baltimore yet.

Here we go! The 3 of us spent a great 4 nights in New York this year for New Years, so I figure it warrents a meetup thread :p

Here are my contributions!

2. Manhattan from the Bridge

Happy New Years everyone!

This one is awesome! Not knowing New York, please tell me how you got up high up.. Is there a walkway, or something?

The way for the foot passengers who want to cross the bridge is a storey higher than the roads on either side. That's why when you want to cross the bridge leisurely (which you can only do while on foot), you are automatically this much higher than the cars.

Hoping that this_link_will_work - this might show you what the bridge is like. (Sorry about the quality of the photo ... cough-cough, can't compete with Joe's photo, of course, but you might see what I mean).

Last edited:
You messed up WAY more than that. I have a couple of hundred pictures, remember? This is just a teensy selection of them. I haven't even touched the pics from Baltimore yet.

Oh, good! I was hoping you hadn't gotten there yet, and that it wasn't intentional that none were represented. Make sure to post food pictures!

Edit: Yep, Corinna's got it! We were walking across the bridge so we could stand in line for 1.5 hours to get some pizza. What amazed me about the walkway was the distribution of people. It seems everyone waks out to the first pylon from Manhattan and then just walks back (the bridge is about a mile across, 1st pylon is a quarter out). After we passed that, it was unbelieveably less crowded.

The way for the foot passengers who want to cross the bridge is a storey higher than the roads on either side. That's why when you want to cross the bridge leisurely (which you can only do while on foot), you are automatically this much higher than the cars.

Hoping that this_link_will_work - this might show you what the bridge is like. (Sorry about the quality of the photo ... cough-cough, can't compete with Joe's photo, of course, but you might see what I mean).

Thanks-that clears that up... Interesting bridge.. I've been over it many times on business, but never realized there was a walkway there.

While I abhor the city and everything about it, I guess there's something to be said for being able to walk around with a camera and take neat pictures of very varied subjects in short order... Looks fun.

Oh, good! I was hoping you hadn't gotten there yet, and that it wasn't intentional that none were represented. Make sure to post food pictures!

Edit: Yep, Corinna's got it! We were walking across the bridge so we could stand in line for 1.5 hours to get some pizza. What amazed me about the walkway was the distribution of people. It seems everyone waks out to the first pylon from Manhattan and then just walks back (the bridge is about a mile across, 1st pylon is a quarter out). After we passed that, it was unbelieveably less crowded.

I just didn't have time for them all last night.

And BEFORE that first pylon it's DANGEROUS!!!! I can't believe how many people were there! In the windy cold!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back