The Dead House

Chiller

Mental case
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since we dont have a Darkside Snapshots Gallery...yet:mrgreen: I gotta post his one here. Taken with a crappy point and shoot digital.
This is a building refered to at the Dead House. It was used back in the late 1800's, early 1900's as a storage place for the dead. Cause of the weather here in Cannuckville, the ground would be too frozen to dig. After the service was held at a local church, the coffin , with the body inside, would be stored on a shelf in a dead house untill the ground defrosted, and the hole could be dug by hand. THese were fitted with shelves inside to house about 10 to 12 coffins, depending on the size of the dead house.
There are not many of these buildings left here, as most have been torn down. I have only found 2 so far in my cemetery travels. This one is being used as a storage shed.
Can ya imagine the poor suckers who had to go in when spring arrived to get the coffins out.

P3240243a.jpg

cool story behind this one.... man it must be stinking in there come spring!... nicely taken :thumbup:

I couldn't imagine the stench in that place when they had to go back for the bodies! Nice shot - never seen one of these before!

Antarctican said:
^^^ What he said.

Where was it you found this one?

Thanks Angel ,Anti. and Calliope
Anti.....This one is in King City. There is another one at St Michaels Cemetery at St Clair and Yonge street( sorry to all the non Torontonians) The one there was built in 1855, and is still standing, and is a lot nicer design then the mortuary in King City.

wow... the shot is really cool..but the story behind it makes this shot..

i have missed your posting chiller.....cant get enough chiller..

Cool! Awesome story, Cannuck!

I'm with Raven ... I was just saying the other day how you haven't posted much lately ... thought you might be converting to the lighter side ...

Thanks April, Jon, Woody, and Ani.
April, anicole...suffering a serious photofunk. Cant seem to get into it lately, and can not see any pics. Ever since I got that freekin evil eye alien too.:lmao: :lmao: IM ruined. :lol:

Chiller said:
Thanks April, Jon, Woody, and Ani.
April, anicole...suffering a serious photofunk. Cant seem to get into it lately, and can not see any pics. Ever since I got that freekin evil eye alien too.:lmao: :lmao: IM ruined. :lol:

I've just missed your stuff ... somethin' feirce ...

dude, I feel your pain. I've taken over 600 shots in the last two weeks and they all stink! I've about decided to sell my camera and take up something else.

Anyone know what a 2 month old Nikon D50 is worth?

anicole said:
I've just missed your stuff ... somethin' feirce ...

dude, I feel your pain. I've taken over 600 shots in the last two weeks and they all stink! I've about decided to sell my camera and take up something else.

Anyone know what a 2 month old Nikon D50 is worth?

I have not even taken the camera out of the bag since Sunday. Ya wanna buy a Canon Digital Rebel...maybe we can sell em both together, and I will throw in the Canon Rebel Film camera for free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back