The deliberate act of taking a photograph…

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Warning... long post.

Let’s try an experiment. Same photographer (you). Same equipment (yours). We’ll compare taking a quickie shot and the result of the same scene shot by design. Required tool: a good tripod.

Since most of the scenes and images we shoot are relatively static, let’s start with a static scene. It can be indoors or outside. It can be a table arrangement that you like, a plant, a piece of furniture, a room in your house, a person sitting or lying down, a cooperative pet. Or it can be your yard, a tree, or something else outside that’s not running about or jumping all over, or moving with some speed.

The experiment is to find that scene we like and shoot it snapshot-style (ie, with minimal thought or preparation), and then go to the process of constructing a shot (the deliberate act) of the same object or scene, and comparing them to see if the extra effort was worth the results.

So, pick your scene/object and take the first shot.

Now, let’s step back, put aside the camera and look at your chosen scene or object. What was it about it that made you want to shoot it? Was it colour? A colour contrast? Shape? Texture? An interesting lighting effect? A geometric arrangement? A story? A humorous contrast?
What elements of this scene/object would you want to emphasize to make for an interesting story or image? What emotions would you want to evoke for the viewer of the scene?
What is the relation of the scene/object to its surroundings? Is this relationship part of the storey, or is it irrelevant and distracting? If relevant, how to express the context and give meaning to the relation between the scene/object and the surrounding foreground/background? If NOT relevant, how to isolate the scene/object so that the foreground/background do not intrude or distract?

What type of light would be best for showing the best aspects of the scene/object, in the way that contributes to the mood or emotion you’re trying to convey? Would it be an overall, diffuse soft light (few or no shadows), or a more directional light (with medium to strong shadows)? If directional, from which angle? Should the resulting shadows be left alone, or should they be softened by a fill light? If so, from which angle, and with what proportion to the main light?

OK.

So far, you’ve chosen a scene/object, figured out which characteristics were appealing to you, decided whether or not the scene/object is to be shown with the surroundings, or isolated from the surroundings, and thought about how the light source and direction would enhance the vision that you have had.

Now, let’s look at angles of view and perspective. Chances are, you shot the original photo at eye level. That’s from where most casual photos are taken. But for this scene/object, is this the best point of view? How would one from the floor/ground look? How about getting up on a ladder and looking down? What about from a different angle? If you’re trying to place the scene/object in context, is there something you can place in the foreground that would really make it clear what the relationship is? Is there an angle with which you can include more of the background, if it is relevant? If, on the other hand, the foreground/background are irrelevant and distracting, what angle of view would best eliminate them as distracting intruders?
In terms of perspective, is showing depth important to this scene/object? If so, which method of showing depth would be most effective in this situation? Converging lines? Graduated shadows? Selective focus?
What about the distance of the viewer from the scene/object? Do you want them to feel “in” or “close” to the scene/object, or do you want them to have some visual distance? Which viewpoint would contribute best to the story or image you’re creating?

Now, we’ve also figured out the best angle, the amount of perspective, and the approximate distance of the viewer to the scene/object. Time to get technical.

Get your camera, put it on a tripod, and position the camera at the approximate angle and distance you’ve decided is the best for this scene/object. Next to decide: which focal length to use?

The focal length affects the angle of view and the depth of field. As the focal length goes down, the angle of view increases as does the depth of field. So, if your goal is to show the scene/object in relation to its surroundings AND with the foreground and background in sharp focus, then most likely you’d choose a wide angle focal length to give you the depth of field to allow that. Of course, depth-of-field is also related to aperture, so you have both focal length and aperture as tools to enable you to achieve the target depth-of-field. If you’re trying to isolate the scene/object from its surroundings, then you would probably go to the normal or telephoto focal lengths, as the angle of view decreases and so does the depth-of-field. So choose a focal length that gives you the right framing (angle) of the scene/object, and also accommodates the depth of field you need.

Frame the image at the chosen focal length and decide where the scene/object should be placed in the frame to give the most pleasing view? Centered? Yes, if we’re trying to emphasize symmetry. If not, following the guideline of the “rule-of-thirds” may be more appropriate? What about orientation? Is the scene/object more vertical or horizontal? Which orientation (landscape/portrait) would best accommodate and fit the scene/object? With your orientation chosen, recompose.

Where should you place the focus point? The narrower the depth-of-field, the more critical the placement of the focal point becomes. Is sharpness essential to conveying the image that you’re trying to create? If so, which part of the image MUST be in sharp focus? Chances are, your camera’s autofocus is NOT on that part. So switch your AF off and focus manually. If you have “live-view”, use this aid to magnify the point on which you are focusing to ensure the best focus.

Next, do you have enough depth-of-field to include all the scene/object that you want to include? This is a function of the aperture. Most cameras show the view at the wide-open aperture, and only snap to the correct chosen aperture at exposure. There is usually a button which allows you to see the stopped down aperture in the viewfinder. Use it to determine if the near and far points of your scene that NEED to be in focus ARE in focus. If not, increase the aperture. On the other hand, if you are trying to isolate your scene/object from foreground and background, you will want to reduce your depth-of-field by opening the aperture. Another way of determining the correct aperture to use is to refer to a calculator such as on www.dofmaster.com, which allows you to calculate this.

Before we deal with exposure, we have to deal with ISO. The lowest noise, best colour balance and color saturation is at the native ISO setting for a camera. For Canons this is ISO 100, and for Nikons this is ISO 200. Use these settings unless you have a VERY good reason to change them. In any case, your camera’s on a tripod, so you can go to very slow shutter speeds without blurring.

Other camera settings: for the most flexibility, shoot in RAW if your camera supports it. These files require post-processing to generate usable images, but you get so much more flexibility and ability to correct mistakes, that it is well worth mastering. If you’re kinda lazy, many cameras can shoot both RAW and high-definition JPEG in the same shot. Then you can get the quick benefits of JPG files, while still having the RAW image to play with later, if you so need.

Colour balance. Depends on what your primary light source is, and also on your personal preference. Most cameras give you the choices of Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Flash, and AUTO. Pick the option that is closest to the primary light source of your scene/object. If the colour balance is somewhat off, you can correct it in post-processing of your RAW files. Too bad if you only have JPG, as the colour balance is locked in in that format.

Finally… we can set the exposure. Ummmm. Not so fast. What is the brightness variation across your image? If it’s evenly lit with minimal or no shadows, AND the primary scene/object is not naturally very dark or very light, then the standard exposure will probably work well. If not, you’ll have to use the meter reading as a starting point, and make adjustments. All camera meters are calibrated to give you a “correct” exposure when the scene averages 18% grey. But if your scene is lighter or darker than “average”, you’ll have to compensate manually.

Digital cameras have a dynamic range of 8-10 stops (depending on the camera), and if the scene you’re shooting has elements that are more than 8-10 stops different in brightness, then you will have to decide whether to let the bright parts blow out (no detail) to preserve some shadow detail, or let the shadow detail block up (no detail) to preserve the highlight detail. A good approach to verifying the dynamic range of the scene is to take an average reading of the overall scene, then with the spot-meter option, read the exposure for the brightest and the darkest elements. Let’s say the average exposure was 1/60 at f/11. The brightest element measured at 1/1000 at f/11 and the darkest was at 1/8 at f/11. So the brightest element was 5 stops above the average, and the darkest element was at 4 stops below the average. If the brightest element had detail that was important to the scene/object, then you’d want to bias your exposure upwards, so that the bright elements are within 4 stops of the exposure. This means that your initial exposure of 1/60 at f/11 should be changed to 1/125 at f/11. This will make the overall picture darker by one stop, but will allow you to preserve the highlight detail.

OK. Take the second shot.

Compare the two. Which one gives you a better result?

For those who think this is too much work… Good and experienced photographers internalize this process so it’s automatic. Experience and practice should allow the technical stuff to be done in under a minute. Set the camera up, choose the lens, set the focal length, take the meter readings, set the exposure, check the focus point, DOF, extraneous materials… click.

There is a pile of stuff that I didn’t cover in this little experiment, but my goal here isn’t to give a complete course on photography in one post, but to get people, especially beginners, to think about the images they are creating, and the process they can use to make the decisions. I’m sure the pros on this forum will be able to correct my little exposition in many ways, and suggest other improvements.

So any takers?

It is funny that you posted this just as I was posting a reply to my welcome post. I stated that I am not at one with my camera and everything has to be thought through from start to finish. You hit the nail on the head by stating that it should take about a minute. For me it takes about that long but almost none of what you mention was taken into account - hey I'm still learning how to use the camera. :blushing:

I think what I need to do is take your advice and do it one step at a time so it becomes second nature then add steps as I feel comfortable. A bit like driving a car. When I was learning I forgot where the indicators were. now it's second nature - one step at a time.

I will be reading your post a few more times for sure.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this. It may be obvious to many but I'm not at the obvious stage - yet.

Cheers and look forward to seeing you around.
Jim

Great post pgriz! I think of the second, slower, more-deliberate approach as "making" a photograph, as opposed to taking one. Perhaps a bit of a semantic hair-splitting, but for me, making photos is the slowed down, deliberate act. Again, a very nice, thoughtful post. I admit, most of your posts I find myself agreeing with.

Thanks, Derrel. I think of this approach as being similar to the slow-food movement, where the emphasis is on slowing down to enjoy the making of the food, and then taking the time to really savour it. The current approach of auto-everything is the same as fast-food. Quick. Not necessarily good.

Hmmm... 118 views and a handful of thank-yous (and a thank you to you too!) and no beginner to take the plunge and walk into the wonderworld of "made" photographs? :er: Might have to hold off on the volume II post...

Great post, this should be added to the tutorial thread. I will bite the bullet and walk through this in the morning when I have the time/ lighting for it.

Last edited:
Hmmm... 118 views and a handful of thank-yous (and a thank you to you too!) and no beginner to take the plunge and walk into the wonderworld of "made" photographs? :er: Might have to hold off on the volume II post...

Your post was well recieved.... and is something I will do. When time permits.

I actually looked at this thread and said to myself "wow, do I really want to read this?" More so because I just thought it was a challange, or something just to do to get results. After making myself read this due to the numerous Thanks appearing under the post, I really enjoyed it. I might not have understood it all, but I guess that is why I will probably re-read and look things up in my manual as I do so. If I can find the time to actually complete the task, I will. If I do not, then I still feel this is a very informative thread to just simply read as a noob. The whole process that I really feel I need to learn, has just been broken down into simple detail and I really do appreciate you taking the time out of your day to do so.

I know I don't have any pull around here on this forum, but as a noob I think this would be an excellent sticky in this section. Just my .02

Thanks again

Can I ask whoever is inspired by this thread to post their pictures? I am looking for insight in two areas - (1) did the process described help you work through the different choices? and (2) Having done the process and seen the results, what improvements to the process can you think of?

Alright, sorry it took so long. I was driving all day yesterday and only just got the chance to upload them. When I stopped to use the bathroom at a gas station, I decided to photograph the situation. It was bad. See for yourself:

here is the snapshot:
IMG_0432.jpg

and here is the deliberate photograph:
IMG_0434.jpg

I was going for the gritty nasty feel that I got when I walked into the room (by the way I was holding my breath the whole time). The colors turned out true to the situation and I think I captured the feel well. I am not sure about the composition of the shot but I was limited in where I could place the camera since it was a tight and cluttered room. I hope this does your article justice. Let me know what you think.

Well, really... it's not a "wonderworld." It's just what photographers do. I'm glad to see you use the phrase "making photographs." It's been a life-long mission of mine to get that point across.

But what I really wanted to tell you is don't be discouraged. That view counter includes GUESTS who are not able to comment. And if you got just one aspiring photographer to re-think the process... to put it all in perspective... well, you just may have change some one's life.

-Pete

Hmmm... 118 views and a handful of thank-yous (and a thank you to you too!)...

I'm not really surprised by this result. 2 possible reasons: 1/ is that it is mostly more advanced photogs reading your post and they've been doing this for a while, sometimes years and 2/ is that in my time on this forum I've thought several times that long winded posts don't get read as much. We're in the age of instant and a long text is not part of that.

Otherwise, I agree with you except for one thing which I will address in just a little bit. It seems to me that the fact that a lot of schools still want their students to start with film cameras is a way to slow them down and thus spend more more time thinking about what they are doing. Some people think that it is for the knowledge of darkroom techniques but I don't quite agree. Unless you intend to do photography as fine art, the likelyhood of your using a darkroom after graduation is pretty small.

Some people here have told me that some commercial photography is still done on film but I don't see it and, tbh, it makes no sense to me. But using film in school is a nice way of slowing down the process. When I was teaching at a workshop, way back in the time of dinosaurs, we had a couple view cameras that students could take out. The point was to slow them down because we felt 35mm was too fast :lol:

That said, the problem I have with your approach is that once you are shooting a snapshot on command it cannot be a snapshot anymore since some thought has gone into the process, however minimal.

If people could pick a snapshot they shot before reading your post and then go reshoot it in a deliberate way, I think the results would be clearer.

Aside from that, very good thread.

Thanks, Derrel. I think of this approach as being similar to the slow-food movement, where the emphasis is on slowing down to enjoy the making of the food, and then taking the time to really savour it. The current approach of auto-everything is the same as fast-food. Quick. Not necessarily good.

This is the approach I was taught 40+ years ago when my Dad "traded" cameras with me while on a walk along a river. He put a new roll of film in his prized 35mm and then handed it to me with the excuse he wanted to trade cameras for the day and use my little 126 Instamatic I had with me. Even if those who read your great advice and learn a very, very valuable lesson ("a photograph is made, a snapshot is taken" as my Father put it) don't post back here, don't let it stop you from sharing your knowledge. All of us started with zero "tools" in our experience bag and thanks to many others who shared their knowledge, we each are able to grow our own "tool kit" in order to make better photos. If my past is in any way normal, then most will probably never post anything back on this thread. I know for a fact I didn't realize just how much my Dad had given me when he traded that day, then took the time to show me the basics... and continued to show me more, and more as the years wore on. It wasn't until I "traded" cameras with my own son that it even dawned on me to actually thank my Father for doing that with me (I went home and phoned him to tell him thank you). So you very well may have passed on some very needed information to many people who have read this thread, but will probably never get to realize how much it may have helped.

Post volume 2, and pass on a bit of information to others.

Last edited:
Awsome post. 1 minute??!!? Holy crap, I have a long ways to go. Just yesterday I was taking a self-portrait with my dog in front of the Christmas tree, partially for my wife, partially for practice with my 550EX I just bought... it took me 10 minutes just to decide what focal length I needed. After an hour and a half of switching between a 50mm and a 100mm and 3 OCF's with modifiers, I got a shot that I was almost happy with.

I hope to make some time this week to try your experiment, walking through each step. If I do, I'll post the results.

Btw, Snakeguy, your results are awsome. The deliberate photo is... well.... I never enjoyed looking at a disgusting crapper until now. :)

Alright, sorry it took so long. I was driving all day yesterday and only just got the chance to upload them. When I stopped to use the bathroom at a gas station, I decided to photograph the situation. It was bad. See for yourself:

here is the snapshot:
IMG_0432.jpg

and here is the deliberate photograph:
IMG_0434.jpg

I was going for the gritty nasty feel that I got when I walked into the room (by the way I was holding my breath the whole time). The colors turned out true to the situation and I think I captured the feel well. I am not sure about the composition of the shot but I was limited in where I could place the camera since it was a tight and cluttered room. I hope this does your article justice. Let me know what you think.

Snakeguy, that’s quite a difference! The first one’s looks pretty disgusting, but other than a record of a place, isn’t very interesting. The second is definitely more interesting – the angle is lower and more intimate (um, hold the nose), the detail is exquisitely yucky, the positioning of the bowl on the left is very good, the way the cracked Plexiglas seems to point to the business end is great, and the color is a fine pissy yellow. Photographically, I think you did very well. Now you might want to forward the second to the business owners and ask them if they would want to welcome paying customers in that place…

Yep, I think you succeeded in conveying the dirtiness and grittiness in a photographically compelling way. Congratulations!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back