The Dreaded Gear Question

StickToYourGuns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

my title refers to what I'm about to ask, as I'm sure there are people who ask this a million times a day; which camera do I purchase?

I have done so much research in the last month that it has made my head spin, I spend my nights scouring articles and youtube videos for the latest info on the latest cameras, and yet I still sit here typing this confused and unsure of which camera to purchase. This will be my first DSLR camera, and I have narrowed it down to Canon or Nikon (Not that it really narrows things down too much!) I plan on using this camera to partner with my Fiance and get a little business together in shooting Wedding photography and even shooting local bands and offering prints, so this purchase is a little business mixed with pleasure. I want something that will last me, and grow with me as a budding photographer.

At the moment I plan on focusing primarily on:

• Wedding Photography
  • Concert Photography
  • Portraits
  • Video capabilities (Band Music Videos)

Not necessarily in that order though. Obviously in my research there is the debate between Full Frame, and Cropped APS-C, and in general others have mentioned that Full Frame without a doubt produces better quality images, especially in low light. However for someone brand new, a Cropped sensor should be sufficient.

So basically I come to you guys, in hopes that I can get a better understanding of what would be right for me. I've looked at everything from the Rebel series T3i, T5i (600D, 700D) all the way up to my max budget of the 6D, and the equivalent Nikons.
Within those limits, I'd really like to narrow down an answer, and become the proud and happy owner of a new DSLR! Once again, this isn't an Upgrade thread, but a brand new purchase.

In advance, thanks for all the replies and help!

Last edited:
Honestly for shooting wedding, concert and some portrait, you are going to want a body that is good in low light situations. of the bodies that you listed and are in your budget, you have really only have four bodies that would be decent for this job. The 60D, 70D, 7D or the 6D. Honestly the 6D would be the best of these for low lighting from all the reports that I have heard and read.

Hope that helps.

And of course you would want lenses that are good in low light too, which you need at least f/2.8 or faster lenses.
In other words, start thinking of a bigger budget.

Also start reviewing how one does wedding photography. Then you'll be looking at lighting such as flashes, diffusers, etc etc
In other words, start thinking of a bigger budget.

But overall, think of what type of quality product you want to offer (realistically). And target your research, objectives and budget for that target level.

Good luck in your endeavors

http://digital-photography-school.com/stepping-in-to-wedding-photography

http://digital-photography-school.com/wedding-photography-tutorials-for-wedding-photographers

Wedding Photography - 21 Tips for Amateur Wedding Photographers

Last edited:
Yep, 6D with some f2.8 glass, a couple of strobes and some light modifiers would be the way to go I think. Though there's more to it than just getting a good camera and some nice glass.

extra batteries, extra memory cards, post processing skills (lightroom / photoshop)

best to run some test runs with friends from top to bottom of a wedding. Pre wedding, in a dimly lit church, entourage pictures, banquet, etc
and build from there for understanding

You mentioned that your budget only goes up to the 6D. Is that the body only or are you factoring in lenses?

I'm not a professional, but if I were going to start wedding photography, this is what I would use:

• Canon 6D - $1900 (Only $1400 if you buy the kit, send in the rebate, sell the printer, and sell the kit lens: Canon EOS 6D DSLR Camera with 24-105mm Lens and Inkjet Printer)
  • OR the Canon 5D3 - $3400 (Only $2900 if you buy the kit, send in the rebate, and sell the printer: Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera Body Kit with Memory Card)
  • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II - $2000 After Rebate (Or the original version for $1200 used)
  • Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS - $2200 After Rebate (Or the original version for $1400 used)
  • Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro - $900 After Rebate
  • A lot of lighting modifiers, 8GB UHS-I SD cards, Pelican cases, rain sleeves, etc.

...all the way up to my max budget of the 6D, and the equivalent Nikons.

Hello, and welcome!

What do you figure is your max budget in dollars, and if you intend to maintain a purchasing program for how many years?

In other words, one camera with whatever lens is packaged with it is not enough to do what you want, so you're going to need to keep assembling your gear and that is going to take some time.

It will also take time to learn everything.

What is your projected time frame for getting to where you want to be?

The reason I'm asking that is so that others here can offer advice on not only the equipment but what to concentrate on as well.

Also, realistically, a friend of mine does very small weddings from time to time. Not many pictures overall and does a good job for the older entry level dSLR and kit lens. Has some good composition skills too which makes up a bit for the equipment. But that person also suffers from overall quality due to the lack of equipment and overall lack of knowledge of composition, equipment, etc.

But the clients are satisfied (which are a close knit group), but then only does them once in a while.

So not everyone does a 18 hour wedding day and needs top notch professional service.
So it all goes back to yours and what your think your client expectations will be.

Then make your budget and learning curve appropriate.

But if you want to make a true living at it, then start thinking everything through.

There are bunches of top notch knowledgeable professionals here. But these same questions crop up it seems multiple times a week. I think they are a bit long in the tooth of it ;/

You mentioned that your budget only goes up to the 6D. Is that the body only or are you factoring in lenses?

I'm not a professional, but if I were going to start wedding photography, this is what I would use:

• Canon 6D - $1900 (Only $1400 if you buy the kit, send in the rebate, sell the printer, and sell the kit lens: Canon EOS 6D DSLR Camera with 24-105mm Lens and Inkjet Printer)
  • OR the Canon 5D3 - $3400 (Only $2900 if you buy the kit, send in the rebate, and sell the printer: Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera Body Kit with Memory Card)
  • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II - $2000 After Rebate (Or the original version for $1200 used)
  • Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS - $2200 After Rebate (Or the original version for $1400 used)
  • Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro - $900 After Rebate
  • A lot of lighting modifiers, 8GB UHS-I SD cards, Pelican cases, rain sleeves, etc.

A great started listing. Except the last line of it could cost a BIG chunk of change in itself.

What everyone said is right on the button but I feel constrained to add that your desire to turn this into a small but profitable business for yourself may be unrealistic.

This low end photo business is a very very crowded and competitive field with thousands of people frantically scrabbling to start.
Do a Facebook search for photographers in your area and confirm this.
To have any chance of succeeding, you have to be, at the same time, an experienced and skilled photographer, a business person and a good marketer with a wide circle of friends.
The field is flooded now with people who buy a camera and some gear and are faced with the same market.

If you love photography, have the skills and the experience , go right ahead, but be prepared for a tough slog.

If you aren't skilled and experienced, and dedicated and smart, this may be a disastrous business venture.

What everyone said is right on the button but I feel constrained to add that your desire to turn this into a small but profitable business for yourself may be unrealistic.

This low end photo business is a very very crowded and competitive field with thousands of people frantically scrabbling to start.
To have any chance of succeeding, you have to be, at the same time, an experienced and skilled photographer, a business person and a good marketer with a wide circle of friends.
The field is flooded now with people who buy a camera and some gear and are faced with the same market.

If you love photography, have the skills and the experience , go right ahead, but be prepared for a tough slog.

If you aren't skilled and experienced, and dedicated and smart, this may be a disastrous business venture.
I do appreciate this post, and completely understand. By no means will this be a primary source of income. I am still rather young, and honestly for the first year of me owning whichever camera I purchase, it will be mostly spent learning the craft and the camera itself, and just enjoying the art behind it.

To everyone else who has made recommendations and asked about budgeting, my primary budget is focused on the camera itself, and additional quality glass will definitely be purchased regardless of which body I go with.

Based on absolutely everything I've heard my head is in two places:

Canon 6D or Nikon D600

If you wonderful folks could now just help me narrow it down between these, I think i'll be on my way to really getting a start in this wonderful world of photography!

The comparison is two factored.

First read actual tests between the two, because reading is where any opinions expressed here come from. - https://www.google.com/search?q=com....69i57j0l3.12821j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Then actually hold and click off a few with each, changing settings, decide how they actually feel in your hands.

Don't depend on knowledge from the casual passerby here, who may never have held or tested both but gotten their knowledge from articles and their own choice.

Good luck

Lew

As a steadfast Nikon user my recommendation is obvious ... which ever one feels better, is easier to hold, you understand the menus, and your circle of friends may use. BUT ALSO take into consideration your Fiance is using/going to use.

BUY the SAME Brand.

If one bought NIkon and the other bought Canon ... the cost would then be ENORMOUS Cost.. basically doubling alot of the gear cost.

So I think this is a two person decision, and then also, look at what your friends use too.

Your friends could help in a Canon "thing" or a Nikon "thing".

My brother shoots Canon. I use Nikon. Well .. there's really nothing I can ask him about the camera / lenses and vice versa. Techniques and composition skills sure ....

So think it through a bit .. then buy Nikon :) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . or Canon

Last edited:
As a steadfast Nikon user my recommendation is obvious ... which ever one feels better, is easier to hold, you understand the menus, and your circle of friends may use. BUT ALSO take into consideration your Fiance is using/going to use.

BUY the SAME Brand.

If one bought NIkon and the other bought Canon ... the cost would then be ENORMOUS Cost.. basically doubling alot of the gear cost.

So I think this is a two person decision, and then also, look at what your friends use too.

Your friends could help in a Canon "thing" or a Nikon "thing".

My brother shoots Canon. I use Nikon. Well .. there's really nothing I can ask him about the camera / lenses and vice versa. Techniques and composition skills sure ....

So think it through a bit .. then buy Nikon :)
Well currently she has an older Canon rebel series XS, which she isn't really content with anymore and is looking to sell it. She isn't very invested Glass-wise, so she might even jump the ship to Nikon! So it's kind of up in the air for her as well!

I do appreciate this post, and completely understand. By no means will this be a primary source of income. I am still rather young, and honestly for the first year of me owning whichever camera I purchase, it will be mostly spent learning the craft and the camera itself, and just enjoying the art behind it.

To everyone else who has made recommendations and asked about budgeting, my primary budget is focused on the camera itself, and additional quality glass will definitely be purchased regardless of which body I go with.

Based on absolutely everything I've heard my head is in two places:

Canon 6D or Nikon D600

If you wonderful folks could now just help me narrow it down between these, I think i'll be on my way to really getting a start in this wonderful world of photography!

You will need more than 1 year

Most reactions

New Topics

Back