The ergonomics of shooting vertically

I always turn my camera the "wrong" way when shooting vertically...puts the shutter button in an odd low position--a grip would be helpful.

Oh great. First we have the endless Canon vrs Nikon. Then it's the constant Uv Filter/No UV filter. Leave it to you to add counterclockwise vrs clockwise to the list.. lol

Not trying to debate; I just don't feel comfortable rotating CCW when shooting vertically. The overhand grip is weak and feels awkward to me. It feels more natural to rotate CW and support the camera with my right hand from below, but that always tends to make it harder to press the trigger. Adding a grip, like suggested would not only solve the issue of stability like mentioned, but I could continue to grip the camera in the typical horizontal manner that I have no issues with.

Just waiting for someone to through in the "Well that's fine for you guys in the Northern Hemisphere" argument.. lol

Clockwise or anti-clockwise if you're not using a grip either way leaves your right hand wrist in a bad position. Overhand I would think the safer especially if using a heavier camera and lens; underhand and it just seems like a very uncomfortable and bad position for the wrist especially if its supporting weight.

Clockwise or anti-clockwise if you're not using a grip either way leaves your right hand wrist in a bad position. Overhand I would think the safer especially if using a heavier camera and lens; underhand and it just seems like a very uncomfortable and bad position for the wrist especially if its supporting weight.

So what you are saying is that you have a limp wrist? ;)

Are there any differences in quality between original and knock-off Nikon grips? I am shooting a 7100.

Are there any differences in quality between original and knock-off Nikon grips? I am shooting a 7100.

they vary greatly, such as:
battery "leakage" - it drains quicker than normal
doesn't fit as tightly on the body
cheaper craftmanship
buttons don't work completely
plastic case - not magnesium
may disrupt the camera battery from registering
etc

If there is one in particular you are interested in then you'll want to research that particular brand online.

of course, it may void your warranty if there is a problem associated with your camera.

I've read about alot of them and have Nikon grips for my d7000/600
If you plan on using it for years I think the extra is worth it. Some people may not think it's worth it.
You can save some money by looking for refurb'd or used examples too.

Last edited:

they vary greatly, such as:
battery "leakage" - it drains quicker than normal
doesn't fit as tightly on the body
cheaper craftmanship
buttons don't work completely
plastic case - not magnesium
may disrupt the camera battery from registering
etc

If there is one in particular you are interested in then you'll want to research that particular brand online.

of course, it may void your warranty if there is a problem associated with your camera.

I've read about alot of them and have Nikon grips for my d7000/600
If you plan on using it for years I think the extra is worth it. Some people may not think it's worth it.
You can save some money by looking for refurb'd or used examples too.

I looked at getting one for the D5100 - finally decided against it. The vertical shutter button would be nice but not worth what i would cost to buy the Nikon grip, and since my shoulder sling attaches to the tripod mount really don't want something aftermarket made of relatively inferior materials supporting the entire camera like that - I doubt many of them are really engineered with that in mind. I have my D5100 setup so that it doesn't show my picture previews when I shoot (because wow, is that ever annoying) and I don't really use live view, as a result the battery life on the thing is obscene. I can shoot pretty much all day and not have to replace the battery. As a result other than the vertical shutter button and some slightly improved ergonomics I really don't have that much use for a grip - and the Nikon grip is just a bit too pricey to justify buying it for the vertical shutter release.

I find it the same shooting either horizontal and vertical. The biggest reason is that I have spent decades shooting football cards as verticals. What has happened though, with the internet and widescreen more people want horizontal, so now it's having to shoot both depending on who the client is.

I find shooting CCW is more natural for me. That presents a problem with P&S and other cameras if the flash is on the left side. If you are shooting portraits, the flash will then create a shadow above the person's head if they're near a wall. If you shoot CW, that won't happen. But I just cannot remember to change it to CW so ingrained are my shooting habits.

Pro's like the forementioned Peterson shoot both vertical and horizontals because it gives magazine and other editors choices. Verticals are used on covers and some inside pages. Horizontals can be used for double spreads. Both can be used for fine art sales. So if you're going to the trouble of shooting, do it both ways if you got sales on your mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back