The ethics of candid

If people don't subscribe financially to your website and if they aren't used to sell copies of the images or your photographic services, post away. Simply publishing images made in public can't get you in trouble - whether it is a parade or a mountain range. When money changes hands the rules change.

Hahahah American laws. In Australia commercial use is defined as strictly endorsing a product. I can put it on a paying forum, sell copies of the images, and generally do what I like providing the subject isn't being used for commercial endorsements.

Such things as I can put it in a magazine, just not on the front cover without a release. I could put it on a random billboard, but if I put the words Coke or Pepsi or any other product there I need a release.

If it is not at their expense or detrimental to them (the subject not being paid for something I did does not count as detrimental) then I see no ethical or legal problem.

I shoot horse events. Probably 30% of my sales are candids. Its all about who, what, when, and where. Never, ever publish a shot that is demeaning or unflattering.

A lot of MISinformation in this heading, you should check other categories in this same Photographic Discussion forum, for more accurate laws and rules for candid photography.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back