The food and drink thread

From the tom patch this morning.

R8180001.jpg

An extra with our cup of tea after shopping, what we call a "mini-vlaai" filled with yellow (vanilla flavor) cream. Bought, don't bother making it all by yourself for 79 eurocents/94 dollarcents each.
Diameter of this cake is ± 8,5cm (about 3,5")

View attachment 196210

Yesterday afternoon I've blanched and frozen a few kilos of green beans, in the evening my wife made mussels. Made dinner tonight: cod with eggplant, green beans, red onions, garlic, sunflower seeds with rice and Kikoman Japanese soy sauce.

View attachment 196212

Lemon meringue pie this morning. I used my Mom's 3 egg recipe and used her pie dish. The 3 egg isn't as high as a 4 or 5 egg recipe.

082020_1SMw.jpg

Yesterday afternoon I've blanched and frozen a few kilos of green beans, in the evening my wife made mussels. Made dinner tonight: cod with eggplant, green beans, red onions, garlic, sunflower seeds with rice and Kikoman Japanese soy sauce.

View attachment 196212
That looks delicious! Very attractive plate of good food.

Lemon meringue pie this morning. I used my Mom's 3 egg recipe and used her pie dish. The 3 egg isn't as high as a 4 or 5 egg recipe.

View attachment 196213
Your meringue still looks terrific, even though I get what you're saying about the height. But you achieved those beautiful tufts, and your browning looks perfect. I bet it tastes fantastic.

Something you probably don't know ...
This afternoon we indulged in a snack that Americans won't understand, as it's not known in the US and has absolutely nothing to do with it, even though the name does point in that direction!
The snack on the toast is called "Filet Americain" and this Dutch snack is most likely (where the name exactly comes from can no longer be traced) a derivative of the French Steak Tartare, but without the addition of a raw egg yolk that is so characteristic of "Tartare"

Most importantly, "Filet Americain" is raw meat and indeed, it's eaten as raw meat!
Our "Filet Americain" is spreadable and consists of lean beef with herbs and tomato paste, sometimes finely chopped onions, but unfortunately also with quite a bit of sugar and salt. This product is primarily intended as an appetiser, eaten on toast (named Melba toast) and enjoyed in the afternoon with a glass of wine, in our case a nice glass of Merlot.

View attachment 196258

Watermelon gazpacho with tomato and lime, made this yesterday for the first time. Not quite what we expected, despite the basil, black perper and cucumber. Still requires some key work.

View attachment 196319

Today I made some paëlla, to stay in Spanish spheres, made a carafe of sangria with orange wedges and ice cubes in it, but I had actually forgotten how incredibly sweet this drink is! Last time in Spain was 1978.

View attachment 196407

Most reactions

Back