The Four Stages of Competence of Skill Acquisition

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I though this was interesting, and we see examples of it on the forum all the time.
We can see it in ourselves...

The Four Stages

Unconscious Incompetence
The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognise their own incompetence, and the value of thew new skill, before moving on to the next stage. The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.

Conscious Incompetence
Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.

Conscious Competence
The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill.

Unconscious Competence
The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.
A Fifth Stage?
Some users of the theory have added a fifth stage to the model. The exact composition of this stage varies between authors. Some refer to reflective ability, or "conscious competence of unconscious competence", as being the fifth stage, while others use the fifth stage to indicate complacency.

Some people, at least in some of the skills they try to acquire, seem to start in the second stage instead of the first. I wonder if this would be predictable based on other information about their personalities.

Ha! Someone who skips a stage is thought to be Psuedocompetent.
I'm reading quite a bit about this stuff, it's rather fascinating.

This guy's level of competence is astounding...

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back