The ignorance of people outside of the industry

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I'm a bit irritated right now. Last night for work I had to shoot at the local school board meeting because they were announcing the new superintendent for the district. Well, I was on a very tight schedule as many news photographers often are. So i need to get a quick shot of the lady and get out. Well, apparently the lady doesn't like having her photo taken(even though she's in a very public position) and the whole time I'm trying to shoot she keeps waving at me, blocking her face, and doing all the normal things people do to avoid having their picture take. So the shot is far from my good. Pretty novice at best.

So today I go on out paper's website and in the comments section for the story are nothing but people complaining about how terrible the shot is and how I shouldn't be a photographer mostly; one person fueling the flames talking about how much better she could do, etc.

Now, normally I wouldn't let this stuff bother me because most of the time when people say they could do better but offer no proof, they tend to be full of crap. But what I find funny is over the past few months I have published a number of slideshows on the site full of great photos and nobody has left a single comment. But I have one so-so photo and suddenly I have no place being a photographer? And what annoys me even more so is as an employee I can't leave comments defending myself.

I can't stand people who believe because they can take a pretty picture of a flower they think they can be a photojournalist. They have no idea what it's like having to be multiple places at one time, trying to get good shots in a limited slot under less than convenient conditions. I hate it even more when it's somebody who hasn't the slightest experience in photography.

[/rant]

Send a note to the editor, expressing that. Just so that s/he knows how you feel, in case s/he doesn't have photographic skills or experience either and believes what the kvetchers are saying.

I hear what you're saying, Dan. And it's not fair to have people give you grief like that, but it's the way it is. Just keep trying to not care what they say, you can't do much else. Although, you can come back tomorrow with a knockout shot and use that as a big 'screw you' to the haters. But, it's tough to shut up the haters, and it's even tougher to get the lovers to talk. So just try and shrug it off the best ya can and know that there are people out there, even if they don't open their mouths, that have opened their mind and understand the difficulties of photojournalism.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with those of us who like taking pictures of pretty flowers :p

most times there is no point to trying to retaliate - you just get bogged down in an endless argument that quickly loses all sense of logic from it.
Mostly its as Wozza says - jealousy - but also there are quite a few "old pros" who are very bitter at the moment because with digital cameras being boing cheap and simple to use they have suddenly got more competition in getting into a photographic job - - and one big noise they like to make is that the new photographers are no way near as good as the older generations (or themselves mostly).

Probably some truth in it - spend 30 years perfecting an art and you will be better than a person who has been trying to 4 years - of courser there are exceptions to that rule (on both sides).
Best thing it just to ignor it - if these people were serious they would be negativly commenting on all your photos - rather than just one

Get a longer lens and snipe 'em. ;)

They don't really have to know do they? Plus if you just get the shot is a situation like this the whiners don't get the chance.

$.02

Most people commenting on newspaper websites are retards from what I've seen, so who cares?

If someone doesn't want their picture taken, show them some respect and don't take it.

Not an option for a PJ covering an event for a newspaper where they need to get a photo of a specific person who is also a public figure. The person ought to be showing the photog some respect.

Not an option for a PJ covering an event for a newspaper where they need to get a photo of a specific person who is also a public figure. The person ought to be showing the photog some respect.

I would respectfully submit that it most certainly is an option. "Sorry Mr. Editor, she declined to be photographed". We're talking about a minor personality in local government, not a world leader. I'm well aware of what the law says regarding the right of an individual to privacy, but common courtesy dictates that does not always have to be taken to a literal extreme.

In an industry that relies on photographs to go with stories exactly what do you think the editors response would be to that? A public figure at a public event covered by the paper. I'd hope his response involves common courtesy to give 2 weeks notice rather than just saying pack up your desk security will help you out.

I would respectfully submit that it most certainly is an option. "Sorry Mr. Editor, she declined to be photographed". We're talking about a minor personality in local government, not a world leader. I'm well aware of what the law says regarding the right of an individual to privacy, but common courtesy dictates that does not always have to be taken to a literal extreme.

Like Mav said, it's not an option. I deal with people every day whop don't want their photos taken and I let them go on their marry with with no argument. But to small papers, the superintendent may as well be a world leader. She is in a public position and has to realize she will have her photo taken whether she likes it or not. She can either just let us do our job or she can be a pain and end up with unflattering photos. If I went to the editor and said, "Ms. So in so, the person who the center package story is about, didn't want her photo taken so I didn't do it," I'd lose my job.

WTF???!?

Geeze, Hooligan Dan, you can't buy a break. ;)

It's OK bubba, take several and see just how bad you can make it if you catch my drift (for your own amusement of course). LOLOLOLOL

Most reactions

Back