CAG76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have this lens? EF 500mm f/4L IS USM

If you do, tell me your likes and dislikes and please share any photos you have with it.

-Christopher

i personally do not have this lens but....what i do when looking for a new lens is go talk to the local photography store and ask to try it out and they usually will jsut a thought try it out....

Turns out there is a used one in my area in case you want some street prices. I like this guys reviews, and comparison pictures (shes a big one).

-Shea

I always have a lens that I'd like to have. I'm not necessarily saving up for it though. On top of that, I sometimes decide that there is a lens that I cannot go without and I will sell a lens that I have to get it. That's just me though.

Ok it's got to be said.....

I don't get the question, Are you asking if the lens is worth saving for qualitywize, or are you asking if the lens is worth saving for from a useability or frequency of use standpoint?

If it is quality you are looking at the 500mm f/4L is one of Canons top of the line lenses and it does not get much better.

If it is a useability thing, a 500mm lens is not the easiest of lenses to use, it's a very restricted lens needing a fairly dedicated subject, even more so on a crop body. Unless you are seriously into shooting wildlife or sporting events or something requiring large distance from the subject, you might be better suited to get an EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM or EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM as they would be a bit more versital than the 500mm and would likely get more use.

Thanks so much for the help every one! I really appreciate all the help you give me. Ok Battou, for your questions and I think you answered them. You even answered questions I didn't really ask but it helped. I was asking about the quality mostly and to see if anyone had any experience with one of these. You can better answer my other question if I tell you want I want the lens for, and I think you did answer it up there but I plan to go to the Redbull air races this year. I won't have the lens this year because I can't afford it, but I will be getting it about time for holidays next year, so the following summer I can have it for the Air races of that summer. Yes I know, planning far ahead, but thats me. Of course living in Indy, I have the Indianapolis Motor Speedway about 30 min from me so I go to the track a lot. I would like to get those race cars, and motorcycles. Primarily motor sports as well as wildlife from a far distance in sharp color and clarity! Does that sound like the lens for me?

I do have a 70-300mm lens but would like to get even closer to the subject. Besides the lens I have, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, does not seem to take the pictures I would just love with sharpness at every zoom.

-Christopher

A guy I used to go with to observe eagles (hes with the BioSurvey) got one of these for taking photos of them. I must say, it takes amazing pictures from the eagles catching a fish to them just flying at well over 4-500 feet away. Now, for the price tag, you have to ask yourself if its really worth that, or if you go with something cheaper and still achieve a comparable result.

or if you go with something cheaper and still achieve a comparable result.

Would something cheaper still get a comparable result? 500mm f/4 sounds pretty sweet...closest I have is 200mm @ f/4 - it's either that or 1200mm (telescope) @ f/13.

I am shopping around to see what could possibly be comparable and cheeper. I certainly wouldn't mind saving up the money to get something I feel is fantastic! It is smart to shop around though. I will still be looking at other options.

Thanks so much for the help every one! I really appreciate all the help you give me. Ok Battou, for your questions and I think you answered them. You even answered questions I didn't really ask but it helped. I was asking about the quality mostly and to see if anyone had any experience with one of these. You can better answer my other question if I tell you want I want the lens for, and I think you did answer it up there but I plan to go to the Redbull air races this year. I won't have the lens this year because I can't afford it, but I will be getting it about time for holidays next year, so the following summer I can have it for the Air races of that summer. Yes I know, planning far ahead, but thats me. Of course living in Indy, I have the Indianapolis Motor Speedway about 30 min from me so I go to the track a lot. I would like to get those race cars, and motorcycles. Primarily motor sports as well as wildlife from a far distance in sharp color and clarity! Does that sound like the lens for me?

I do have a 70-300mm lens but would like to get even closer to the subject. Besides the lens I have, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, does not seem to take the pictures I would just love with sharpness at every zoom.

-Christopher

The thing with all those events esp Indy Car racing, Not speaking from experience but I would guess they would not let you into the stands with a large 500mm f/4 unless you had credentials? Not too sure about red bull air races, since those events seem more lax. Also are you planning to use it to make it worth the $5600 price tag? You may be better off just renting the lens for whenever you need it. Most of the people who own the supertelephoto lenses (300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8, 500 f/4, 600 f/4) generally shoot sports for a living, or use it enough to justify buying it as renting would not be economical, of course there are exceptions to everything.

LensRentals.com - Rent a Canon 500mm f/4L IS
BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon Lens Rental

Also, the XSi seems to have a more limited AF system when compared to the 1D Mk 3 (not saying its perfect esp with all the controversy though some people have reported getting excellent AF tracking and results), though I have never shot air racing, or car racing, just seems like something that should be considered to make sure your camera can AF fast enough to capture planes going through the air at high speeds or cars going at high speeds.

Everything I've just said however, is IMHO.

might be worth looking at some other options - the 500mm f4 is not a light lens and using it all day will be a struggle handheld - so its tripod or at the very least monopod use. This could be tricky depending on the event, sometimes you might not have space for a tripod or you might even not be allowed to use it.

I know a few people who shoot at airplane displays and the like and they (when operating handheld) prefer lighter lenses. I don't know about 400mm options, but a 300mm f2.8 IS with a teleconverter is often used since its lighter and thus a bit more suited to a day handheld.

The 500mm is certainly a very good lens and at the 500mm range its not goint to be beaten in image quality by other options (such as shorter lenses with teleconverters).

You could also try the much cheaper alternative, the 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L. I don't have one personally, but I hear lots and lots of good things about them.

This is all great! I feel I should hold off on that. And maybe if I can't get the results I want with a 300mm or 400mm, I will see about maybe getting a different camera, but again, if I was going to make a living doing it. I would like to get to a point where I make a living with my photography, but I better see what I can do with what I have first. I think that would be the smart choice. Correct?

Stick with your XSi - although new camera bodies are desirable and it always seems like the latest and greatest is a must have, it not the area you want to put money into at the early stages.
Lenses are where the money should be spent and where the differences really is. A poor lens on a pro body is still going to give poor results - a pro lens on a low end camera body can still give some very pro results.
Of course the person holding the kit is very important as well.

It might be wise to hold on the super tele lens at the moment - make sure that its the one for you (some people find the range and quality fantastic, but the weight and carrying too much of a burden). And then save up :)

Yeah I really do need to just feel, hold, and try it out before I can go any further with that. I feel that I will like the lens and I know I could save the money up in less than half a year for it, but still putting the money into something like that and not make any money from it, almost doesn't seem reasonable. Right now photography is a hobby. A hobby that I would like to see what I can get out of it. I would like to slowly see about entering a market that maybe people will buy some of my work, framed, and or mounted to perfection. But I know I need to take pictures of things people like. Then even opening up to using my services for any requests. I would more than love to make a living doing this. I am an artist and have the eye for art and find this whole photography thing so fun I just can't even possibly run from it! It's become so addictive that I am sure people are laughing at me because I bring my camera to work everyday, take it with me to lunch sometimes.

Thats another thing people on here can help me with. Any ideas of selling my work. Like where to start? How to start? What is hot when it comes to photos people want? Who to sell my work to?

-Christopher

Most reactions

New Topics

Back