weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a bit of work in Kinlochleven today so had my first chance in ages to stop by Glen Coe. I think this is my first landscape shot this year with my DSLR.... I'm out of practise and it showed with my process and gear not being quite as smooth as it was pre-lockdown. Still, I stopped by a popular tourist stopping point that I'd never done before and took a couple of snaps. Loads of people about today and I couldn't get parked at the bit I wanted to explore.

I'm just old enough to remember when these places were just a few cars and the odd hillwalker or two. There's been an exponential growth in tourism over the last 20 odd years, even more since lockdown ended and the car parks are bulging at the seams in a lot of places.

The Meeting of the Three Waters by wee_pete, on Flickr

Lovely part of the country and it's a while since I've been across there. Planned to tour there a bit this year but the bloody virus put paid to that.

Your photograph does it justice.

Great shot! You have some beautiful landscapes up there in Scotland.

Thanks stapo! One of the reasons I got into photography years ago, I travelled the country with my work and sometimes it's just stunning. Need to work on my location scouting though!

Lovely part of the country and it's a while since I've been across there. Planned to tour there a bit this year but the bloody virus put paid to that.

Your photograph does it justice.

Thanks mate! Yeah, I really like the North West coast and spent many a happy day kicking about that neck of the woods as a youngster. A fee of the parking places have had boulders put at the entrance, might need to bring a lever with me next time I'm up . All the main ones were ok, if very busy. I keep planning to do a dawn walk up the Devil's staircase but haven't got round to it yet.

Processed this a little differently for me, looking at it today I think the sky is a bit too dark. Might try and fix that tonight.

Love the composition!

I remember touring the smelter at Kinlochleven in the early 1970s. My recollection is that the fumes in the place were of the sort that made one think, "This isn't good for me," - sort of an acrid back-of-your-throat experience. The mill was neither dark nor satanic, but it certainly was inconsistent with the glorious countryside surrounding it. Of course Kinlochleven was a company town, and without the smelter it wouldn't have been there.

I revisited a few years ago (after the plant was closed) and noted the locals making the best out of turning the village into an outdoor- and eco-sports destination. Good on 'em.

Nice image,
The car parks and people are only going to get worse as peeps decide to holiday at home and not jet off.
Grab the images whilst you can

Love the composition!

Thanks Peeb! There wasn't much compositional choice, just squished myself in the corner of the viewing platform to get the best vantage point. I'll maybe stop here again sometime and make my way over the rocks and down to the falls. It's not an offical path though plenty do it.

I remember touring the smelter at Kinlochleven in the early 1970s. My recollection is that the fumes in the place were of the sort that made one think, "This isn't good for me," - sort of an acrid back-of-your-throat experience. The mill was neither dark nor satanic, but it certainly was inconsistent with the glorious countryside surrounding it. Of course Kinlochleven was a company town, and without the smelter it wouldn't have been there.

I revisited a few years ago (after the plant was closed) and noted the locals making the best out of turning the village into an outdoor- and eco-sports destination. Good on 'em.

Yep, one of the old factory buildings has been repurposed as an ice climbing wall now. The hydro power station is still in use, I think an Indian conglomerate now own it.

Nice image,
The car parks and people are only going to get worse as peeps decide to holiday at home and not jet off.
Grab the images whilst you can

Yes, I think it's started to happen already. Lockdown has encouraged a lot of people to get out to the countryside. In a way it's good but there are a lot of people who insist on squeezing their cars in, blocking roads and places they shouldn't. I was pleased to see more parking places by the road and improvements being done on the Loch Lomond road. Still needs more if we are going to have this volume of people in these places. It's a bit of a blessing and a curse. Areas that were previously remote are now populated, at the same time it brings much needed money in to rural areas. There's errosion, then there's the litter. It's difficult, as technically I'm one of those tourists a lot of the time, so probably ironic

Beautiful. Brings back memories!

Thanks Amocholes! Glad you liked my shot.

Real nice shot there. I like that you gathered up as much land and sky as you could. The hill in back looks just like the hills in the 2005 version of "Beowulf & Grendel" but it was filmed in Iceland. It's a pretty good movie, btw, very gritty and realistic.

Great shot

Sent from my mobile device because I’m either outside or too lazy to get my MacBook..

Weepete
I know what you mean about a blessing and a curse
I live in. A sea side town and even before lockdown was eased there were loads of peeps all crammed onto the beach,
They forget our road from the estate is a road, kids just run across, ice cream in hand to the beach family groups for some reason want to stand in the road and chat to others.
Some give us a real dirty look, what do you mean you want to drive on this bit, sort of look.
Most don’t cause problems some however are . Parking in the estate blocking our road can be a real problem at times

Most reactions

New Topics

Back