The Moon!

Ash Telecaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I took a Pic of a tree and a Pic of a bird and a Pic of some water. While I was standing there, looking up into the night sky, contemplating my victories, it came to me.... The Moon! I have to photograph the moon!

I get a sense that this will be more challenging. I have the Canon M50 and I have the Vivitar ef adapter and I have the Canon ef 75-300mm. Can I get a decent photo with this set up?

I also get a sense that auto isn't going to be enough and it's time for me to learn how to use some of the more complex capabilities of my camera. I would be grateful for any tips you would be willing to share.

Thank you!

I have that exact lens and i can get some great shots of the moon. You will have to use Manual mode. The settings i use are this: Set the camera to manual mode then set your shutterspeed to 1/250 of a second, then set the F-stop to F11, set the ISO to 100 and the white balance to White florescent. The setting may vary slightly depending on things but this is a great starting point.

Also another thing is it's almost always necessary to use a tripod with a 10 second timer to reduce camera shake. Or if you have a remote shutter trigger that is a better option.

IMG_5915 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Shoot when the moon is the highest in the sky it will be for the night. Then you'll be shooting through the least amount of atmosphere and reduce turbulence as much as possible.

That is a spectacular moon photo!

Thank you for the tips! Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it this weekend.

Remember: The camera is a box. ONLY a box!
The glass is the powerhouse and the shutter, diaphragm and a good remote is key.

read up on moon shots and how to set them up. remember also that anything over 15+ seconds leads to blur because of the movement of the moon in relation tot he earth unless you have a tracker.

Remember: The camera is a box. ONLY a box!
The glass is the powerhouse and the shutter, diaphragm and a good remote is key.

read up on moon shots and how to set them up. remember also that anything over 15+ seconds leads to blur because of the movement of the moon in relation tot he earth unless you have a tracker.

15 seconds, wow, that is faster than you would think! I suddenly feel like hanging onto something!

But important to know. Thanks for the tip!

From Wiki:
Orbit of the Moon - Wikipedia

"With a mean orbital velocity of 1.022 km/s (0.635 miles/s),[8] the Moon covers a distance approximately its diameter, or about half a degree on the celestial sphere, each hour. The Moon differs from most satellites of other planets in that its orbit is close to the ecliptic plane instead of that of its primary (in this case, Earth's) equatorial plane. The Moon's orbital plane is inclined by about 5.1° with respect to the ecliptic plane, whereas the Moon's equatorial plane is tilted by only 1.5°."

Translation: The speed though relative means that you can literally watch the moon move if you stand behind a tree or such. It will pass by at an amazingly fast rate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back