The Moon...

Pixeldawg1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have never been much of an astronomy photographer, but walking home with my sweet wife, the moon was just too beautiful to NOT at least try to capture it well. So, got home and pulled out my Z7 and 200-500 F5.6, set the ISO to 400, Shutter speed to 1/500th of a sec and at F11, a good daylight exposure. I did not have my tripod (was at work), so hand-held @500mm. BTW, here in China, it's not a man on the moon, it is a Princess, rabbit and a Wood-Cutter who are there. Goes back to an ancient tale that the Chinese still tell today. Hope you enjoy!

MRL_3998.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a detailed shot.

I think that's a good thing, right? A very rare, clear night here in China. I was pretty pleased with the shot. Thanks for your comment!

Last edited:
I have done moon shots, IMO yours is a brill image, the contrast and the detail is stunning

I think that's a good thing, right? A very rare, clear night here in China. I was pretty pleased with the shot. Thanks for your comment!

Yes indeed a good thing. Many moon shots we see lack fine detail and to be honest look a bit bland and samey. This one is not in that category imo.

I've done a few moon shots and I think yours is stunning. Great detail.

nice detail!

Its upside down...nice shot

I have never been much of an astronomy photographer, but walking home with my sweet wife, the moon was just too beautiful to NOT at least try to capture it well. So, got home and pulled out my Z7 and 200-500 F5.6, set the ISO to 400, Shutter speed to 1/500th of a sec and at F11, a good daylight exposure. I did not have my tripod (was at work), so hand-held @500mm. BTW, here in China, it's not a man on the moon, it is a Princess, rabbit and a Wood-Cutter who are there. Goes back to an ancient tale that the Chinese still tell today. Hope you enjoy!

View attachment 202941
Exquisite detail.
In what portion of the sky was the moon when you photographed it?
For example eastern sky between moon rise and almost zenith, somewhere overhead before or after zenith, or western sky past zenith and getting toward moon set.
I'm thinking of JC's mentioning that it appeared upside down to him.
It's not upside down, but it is rotated anti-clockwise a bit more than that to which I've become accustomed.
In a rising moon, Tycho crater is usually at the 4 to 6 o'clock position while here it's at the 3 o'clock position.
The setting moon rotates quite a bit in a clockwise direction after its transit across the sky, with Tycho crater often at the 7 to 8 o'clock position.
When we see an unusual orientation it can come from our cameras losing track of the horizon and level when we aim overhead.
So if I were a betting person I'd bet that Pixeldawg1 will say that the moon was more in the overhead one-third of sky than it was to either horizon at the time he photographed it.

Below is a diagram I made to help a friend who was making mistakes when he was compositing in the moon to a sunset landscape.

50784576232_06412bac45_c.jpg

K9Kirk posted on Friday his shot of the moon which has the same orientation as yours Pixeldawg.
I've asked him the same question about where in the sky it was when he photographed it.
It will be interesting to see if it comes close to your time.

Its upside down...nice shot
Well... I AM in China... :bouncingsmileys:
Ha, the expert has spoken! If I remember correctly, the Moon was at about a 45 degree angle from the horizon in the west/southwest position from where I made the image. Also, as noted in the original post, I shot this hand held, no tracking or tripod used, so there may be a bit of tilt. Shot with a Nikon Z7 and 200-500mm lens at 500mm. Outside of this, I have no specific details. Heck, I’m not sure about some of the specific items you have mentioned here. :)

Most reactions

Back