The more I learn, the less I shoot.

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Warning: This may digress, or perhaps it never had a defined path to begin with.

I've come to a point, where it's inherently evident to me that good photography=Time+ patience+knowledge+ focus+fantastic light+compelling subject.

I feel stuck in a stalemate situation lately because one of the pieces always seems to come up short.

My burning desire to shoot spectacular photos is blocked by life. Free time seems scarce, let alone time to collaborate with others for something like a portrait session, because their time is also scarce. My patience and focus is shortened by said lack of time.

I find myself leaving my camera home quite often because "were just going to the park" or "its too sunny and the lighting isn't good enough." When I do bring my camera along, often I don't find anything that moves me to take a picture because "its just another flower" or " there is a building in front of that mountain that looks terrible"

I used to LOVE photography, and I would take tons of photos just because I could. Obviously most were junk. The more I learn, the less desire I have to click the shutter, because I already know the photo will be underwhelming. I find myself going through the motions, frame the photo, scan the viewfinder, let out a sigh and move on.

I am embarrassingly jealous of those who have time and energy to constantly produce incredible work.

The dishes won't do themselves, the kids can't school themselves, and the sun never listens to me when I ask it for a pretty sunset.....

So whats a girl to do?

This is what I immediately thought of.

photography-quotes6.jpg

Of course when we get our first camera we are just so excited to shoot and shoot. And as our equipment evolves, as our knowledge, we realize we don't need to spray and pray anymore. We carefully select our subjects and wait for the prime moment to capture it.

To modify a line from Finding Nemo. "just keep shooting, just keep shooting......" If you don't, you are guaranteed to never get a special shot.

I think we can all say we've been there at some point, feeling frustrated or un-inspired. The things that I do to get out of it are look for a photo challenge or a theme or project to work on. Sometimes its shooting when I don't feel like shooting.

My latest example was last week, I went out to a nature park to shoot macro of bugs and flowers. I hadn't been feeling great about my images of late but I went to practice with a different set-up (70-200mm with extension tubes). We didn't find very many bugs, as it was sunny, hot and windy. But just about the time we were ready to give up, I stepped into the shaded area of the path and saw some amazing light and there was 1 bug sitting in this light.

I feel like I'm in a similar slump... I'm too tired by the time I get home from work, and I don't want to take away any of the little time my wife and I have together on the weekends to go shoot. :(

Warning: This may digress, or perhaps it never had a defined path to begin with.

I've come to a point, where it's inherently evident to me that good photography=Time+ patience+knowledge+ focus+fantastic light+compelling subject.

I feel stuck in a stalemate situation lately because one of the pieces always seems to come up short.

My burning desire to shoot spectacular photos is blocked by life. Free time seems scarce, let alone time to collaborate with others for something like a portrait session, because their time is also scarce. My patience and focus is shortened by said lack of time.

I find myself leaving my camera home quite often because "were just going to the park" or "its too sunny and the lighting isn't good enough." When I do bring my camera along, often I don't find anything that moves me to take a picture because "its just another flower" or " there is a building in front of that mountain that looks terrible"

I used to LOVE photography, and I would take tons of photos just because I could. Obviously most were junk. The more I learn, the less desire I have to click the shutter, because I already know the photo will be underwhelming. I find myself going through the motions, frame the photo, scan the viewfinder, let out a sigh and move on.

I am embarrassingly jealous of those who have time and energy to constantly produce incredible work.

The dishes won't do themselves, the kids can't school themselves, and the sun never listens to me when I ask it for a pretty sunset.....

So whats a girl to do?
honestly?

i just shoot it anyway.

Sean, I think in my case, I need another zero added on. lol
Touché! That sounds about right too, since I have roughly 65k in my lightroom catalog hahahaha.

I feel like I'm in a similar slump... I'm too tired by the time I get home from work, and I don't want to take away any of the little time my wife and I have together on the weekends to go shoot. :(

I understand this issue. What I have been doing is getting up really early (before sunrise) on Saturday morning and going out to shoot until about 9:00 am and then going home to spend time with the family. They all sleep in and are just about ready to have breakfast when I get back.

I understand this issue. What I have been doing is getting up really early (before sunrise) on Saturday morning and going out to shoot until about 9:00 am and then going home to spend time with the family. They all sleep in and are just about ready to have breakfast when I get back.
Thanks, Ron, that's a good idea! I'll have to start doing this, especially because I'm an early riser anyways.

Anytime @waday, I am an early riser too, so it's just another day. I don't do it every Saturday but I do it a lot. Besides, it's a great light time and hardly anyone is out to add distractions to my shots.

JustJazzie said:

Uh-oh. You could be in real danger. It sounds like you have developed a full-blown case of standards, and quite possibly you have a secondary infection of taste that's developing along with the standards. This could result in serious complications if left untreated. This is no laughing matter. It's good that you are seeking treatment now, before it's too late.

ronlane said:
Hey @Derrel, isn't there a shot (pun intended) for that??

I think there **is** some kind of shot for that. As I understand it, there's also a new treatment where they take away your memory cards, and glue lens caps on all your lenses for like, three weeks in a row.

photography-quotes6.jpg

Of course when we get our first camera we are just so excited to shoot and shoot. And as our equipment evolves, as our knowledge, we realize we don't need to spray and pray anymore. We carefully select our subjects and wait for the prime moment to capture it.

Yeah, my immediate response to this quote is generally the corollary (written by…me) which states:
"Your next 10,000 aren't necessarily all that hot either." :lol:

photography-quotes6.jpg

Yeah, my immediate response to this quote is generally the corollary (written by…me) which states:
"Your next 10,000 aren't necessarily all that hot either." :lol:

Nope they probably won't be in my case either, but hey I haven't been banned from here yet either...... Still looking for that 1 image to make me famous.......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back