The most common mistakes photographers make

Letting the subject control the shoot. Or anyone else for that matter. DRIVES ME INSANE to see someone say, yeah but they did this or that's how they posed or... YOU are supposed to know what you are doing. Not the subjects!

Letting the subject control the shoot. Or anyone else for that matter. DRIVES ME INSANE to see someone say, yeah but they did this or that's how they posed or... YOU are supposed to know what you are doing. Not the subjects!

*raises a hand* Can I get an excuse if my subject is a bird/beast/bug/jet aircraft?

Not turning on the hotshoe flash.

Thinking oO "hmmm now THAT would make be a good photo!"
..and for some strange reason carrying on walking, not actually taking that photo.

This....and forgetting to reset the AEL button.

Getting sloppy and not keeping archives up to date...folders of images left on SD cards.
Amateurs reviewing a day's shoot and 'deciding' too quickly; hasty picture choices.

Last edited:
Not having a plan for a shoot.

Scheduling your time such that you will be on time if everything goes perfectly

Not triple checking that you have all the gear you need for a shoot.

Checking to make sure all your batteries have juice before you leave.

Not knowing where the ambient is going to be coming, where it will be going as time in the shoot passes, etc during the entirety of the shoot. Science has this thing where you can predict where the sun will go, it shouldn't 'catch you off guard'

using too many lights. if you think you need 2 lights, you probably only need 1, if you think you need three lights, you probably only need 1, if you think you need 4 lights, well, you might consider 2.

Not checking the background for distracting elements

Not checking hair, bra straps, underwear, etc on the subject

Not doing test shots (usually because you didn't get to the location far enough in advance to do them)

not clearly communicating to your subject what you want them to do and 'just going with it' for their poses

not experimenting from time to time with new stuff you aren't 100% comfortable with

when experimenting, forgetting to also take plenty of shots you know will work.

Not reading the manual, not understanding the camera trio, and wondering why i'm not shooting like a professional.

FORGETTING MEMORY CARDS. Forgetting to set the f/stop properly. Allowing the shutter speed to exceed the X-synch speed limit. Forgetting to verify flash power level. Failure to charge or install fresh batteries. Failure to re-set the ISO for "today's" conditions, and leaving them at "last night's" value. Wrong white balance. Dirty lens. Failing to focus properly. Misplacing the tripod plate. Knocking the tripod over. Allowing a lens hood to fall off a cliff. Allowing a lens to fall off of the camera body. Trying to force a shot when the damned ON/OFF switch is set to OFF. Metering with the camera set to "the wrong mode", and getting totally whacked exposures. Using the WRONG lens hood, and getting undesired vignetting. I think these are the most common blunders.

Not having a location pack list to print out and check off when you pack for location....turn the cell phone off, don,t worry you won,t loose any bussiness while your phone is off.....LOL just remember to turn it back on.

Saying "I could have done better" when looking at another photographers work.

FORGETTING MEMORY CARDS. Forgetting to set the f/stop properly. Allowing the shutter speed to exceed the X-synch speed limit. Forgetting to verify flash power level. Failure to charge or install fresh batteries. Failure to re-set the ISO for "today's" conditions, and leaving them at "last night's" value. Wrong white balance. Dirty lens. Failing to focus properly. Misplacing the tripod plate. Knocking the tripod over. Allowing a lens hood to fall off a cliff. Allowing a lens to fall off of the camera body. Trying to force a shot when the damned ON/OFF switch is set to OFF. Metering with the camera set to "the wrong mode", and getting totally whacked exposures. Using the WRONG lens hood, and getting undesired vignetting. I think these are the most common blunders.

Ouch. The truth hurts.
I have absolutely NO idea where my stupid tripod plate is right now. :lmao:
I know about 2,547 places where it is NOT, however.
I'm SOO careful with all my other photo gear--why can't I be more careful with that little plate?? :D

Ouch. The truth hurts.
I have absolutely NO idea where my stupid tripod plate is right now. :lmao:
I know about 2,547 places where it is NOT, however.
I'm SOO careful with all my other photo gear--why can't I be more careful with that little plate?? :D
I still haven't found mine from when I asked who stole it. Don't feel bad!

I leave mine on all the time, just took a little getting used to in the hand. My 70-200 mount ring has been missing for quite a while though. Might be found when I break out my winter jackets.

Most reactions

Back