The most common mistakes photographers make

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've made thousands of mistakes, and I'm on my way to making thousands more :lol:.

What are the most common and avoidable mistakes that many photographers make?

Not charging your battery and bringing extra batteries.

Bring extra batteries, please. Do it for all of us.

Do not plan something for your next weekend. you just don't have weekends any more, and Fridays doesn't mean its the end of the week. The fun only starts.

Most common?

1) Sticking to a low ISO. Honestly more newbies need to shoot at ISO 400 or 800 for a while! Learn not to fear the high ISO - esp if they are shooting anything regularly that isn't landscapes/blurry water or under controlled lighting.

2) This will be a nice cheap hobby ;)

I've made thousands of mistakes, and I'm on my way to making thousands more :lol:.

What are the most common and avoidable mistakes that many photographers make?

<facepalm> Leaving the SD card behind, in the card-reader at home. </facepalm>
Not turning on the hotshoe flash.

Thinking oO "hmmm now THAT would make be a good photo!"
..and for some strange reason carrying on walking, not actually taking that photo.

Believing anything you read on a forum..... lol.

Waiting till the last minute to prepare.

being more concerned with how many photos you take versus how many good ones.

thinking you will strike it rich by starting your own business.

1. Buying too much gear too soon (guilty as charged)

2. Choosing value over quality

My most common mistake is actually picking up the camera thinking I'm going to take a good picture. :grumpy:

Seeing something gloriously, amazingly, incredibly picture worthy and thinking, "if I only had my camera with me..."

Seeing a great picture with great light and then using a flash...hey where did that amazing picture go?

so right, how many times i wish i did use no flash in shots that could have look perfectly fine shooting as is with natural light. i always take a shot without any flash "just to see" before putting my transmitter on.

My most common and avoidable mistake is thinking I can still hand-hold rock-steady at lower shutter speeds while free-standing the way I did when I was younger, instead of just bouncing my ISO up a bit to compensate. But I'm getting better at remembering, accepting and doing something about it.

I just threw my 50mm 1.8 in my backpack loose, and it broke. I'd say that's a mistake...

-Ken Turner

Most reactions

Back