The Movie Thread

the Aviator- Very good. I don't usually complain about long movies but I looked at my watch a few times though.

Sideways- Loved it. I also like wine and the whole take on that was very funny to me. I also think that this would appeal to guys a little more then women.

Garden State- A must have for me. Great writing, something a little different makes it really good.

It sounds to me like you had a preconceived idea of what his study should be before you watched the film. It was a pretty simple concept conceived by the fact that fatties were sueing the fast food companies. It never seemed to me that he was binging just to prove his point. People eating mcdonalds don't count their calories.
You make it sound like that everybody that is overweight has little or no self control. It is a narrow way of looking at things. I don't want to start anything, but Amanda is correct that Morgan made sure that he would have something in the film by overdoing it on MacDonalds. I like the concept, it's just that it was a little unrealistic. I am not defending MacDonalds either, I hate the place personally, but you can eat there and watch what you eat at the same time.

You make it sound like that everybody that is overweight has little or no self control.
Way to read into things. I wasn't trying to debate obesity here. I was trying to get a little discussion going seeing how this is a discussion forum and all... There are many causes to obesity and the life we are living is a huge contributor. A culture of less phsyical effort and bad diets. That was the point of the documentary.

Amanda is correct that Morgan made sure that he would have something in the film by overdoing it on MacDonalds. I like the concept, it's just that it was a little unrealistic.
It's pretty ridiculous for someone to sue a fast food chain because they have no self control. Amanda's assesment may be correct and I certainly agree there is a level of dramatization that frylock adds... But the study was meant to be as outlandish as the lawsuits. Every documentary has an agenda.. Having that as a complaint as to why you don't like a documentary seems unreasonable.

I'm just saying it seemed that you where jumping on her because she saw something a little different. Discussion is good, I'm not debating that either. But I thought the thread was a personal review and suggestion for movies, not obeisity. And I didn't take it as her not liking Super Size Me. Just a few questions. And for me, I liked it. I also like his show. Again, I wasn't looking to start anything, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Sorry if I read to far into something. Things come across a little different in written form.

KevinR said:
I'm just saying it seemed that you where jumping on her because she saw something a little different. Discussion is good, I'm not debating that either. But I thought the thread was a personal review and suggestion for movies, not obeisity. And I didn't take it as her not liking Super Size Me. Just a few questions. And for me, I liked it. I also like his show.
I was trying to challenge the OP to why she might feel that way and get a bit more in depth with the opinion. Everyone has personal opinions but duscussing why you have the opinion is far more interesting than simply stating them. I realize I probably come off like an asshole sometimes but I like to challenge opinions. Sometimes I even take on the opposite of how I really feel to keep things from going stale. :D

Again, I wasn't looking to start anything, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Sorry if I read to far into something. Things come across a little different in written form.
Oh your 2 cents is exactly what I'm after ;) And I was just pontificating that fact with a coworker. There's no body language or facial expressions when it's written word.

OK, my two cents...

Just watched WOTW (War of the Worlds) and boy, it's great! Very well done, captivating. Dakota Fanning is a little great actress, must see it!

Diary of a Mad Black Woman This movie was not what I had expected, but ended up being pretty good. From the previews you get the idea that it's going to be all about the older lady and be more of a comedy. However it's actually more of a serious film with comic relief. The story line is pretty decent, and Tyler Perry does a nice job in all three roles. So if you don't go in expecting a comedy you won't be disappointed :)

I watched Spanglish on Monday. Much better than I expected. A totally different story than I was expecting when it was released. My wife cried and that usually means that she liked it. It is definetly a good rental.

Corey, my boyfriend has been hankering at me all week to watch Napoleon Dynamite - he said it was sooo funny... but then again, we have a strange sense of humour so I'll have to rent it this week to see what all the fuss is about.

I also watched War of The Worlds and it was ok... the story was a bit mixed up and dodgy but it was scary in parts and just chilling and really made you realise how pathetic humans really are. But the sound was unreal!! Special effects were awesome too... but the sound... ahh. Watch it on an Imax screen if you can - then the tripods are truly terrifying!

If you haven't seen The Anchorman yet run out now and get it. It's hilariously stupid and so funny. I hate will ferrel with a vengence but he was hilarious in this movie.

And I'm pretty sure everyone here would've seen The Incredibles and Finding Nemo and all the other Pixar movies... but can I just say how amazing Pixar is! They are just gods over there and I would loooove to work there one day. How kick ass is their hair simulation now!! And just little things. .. Like in the Incredibles - when Mr Incredible goes round to Edna's place and she chucks his old suit in the bin --- just watch how it slides in the bin... it's pure magic! :drool2:

Madagascar Another great animated film. Lots of humor for adults and kids as well...just listen closely ;) Great flick for the whole family!

War of the Worlds was weak...great graphics but they spent way too much time with Tim Robbins if you ask me and the story kind of left a stale fart taste in my mouth...maybe that was the popcorn...or maybe i shoulnt have fell asleep in the theater with my mouth open.

I also saw Hide and Seek last night. yup a double dose of that Dakota girl. She's a great actor!! This was extremely predictable. i would give it a 2.5 on the ole 1 to 5 meter but the extra endings and deleted scenes made it worth the ride. I find that most deleted scenes are just what they are ...deletion worthy but these should not have been removed from the film...they actually fleshed out the characters more and made the story not so flat. The director sucked because he had tensions and climatic times mis-timed and everyone seemed very caffinated when they should have been sad.

I am dying to see Howl's Moving Castle but the closiest place that's showing it is like 6 hours away. poor mygrain.:(

Watched The Aviator and enjoyed it but thought it was a bit dragged out - Leo Dicaprio (sp) did a sterling performance as Howard Hughes and Cate Blanchette didn't suit the stiff American accent one bit (must be because she's an Aussie).

Also watched The Prince and Me, starring Julia Stiles - Thought it was the most predictable film i've watched to date.

Rented "The Jacket" today and watched it. WOW! Adrien Brody and Keira Knightley, directed by John Maybury. Reminded me of "Jacob's Ladder", weird yet beautiful to watch...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: out of :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I saw "A very long engagement" last night. FREAKIN AWESOME!!! absolutely beautiful as expected. The story was just a wee bit slower than other Jeunet films but equally as amazing. Brilliant cast and breath taking art direction makes this a must see in any film lover's book. His other films if youa re not familiar with his work are amelie, city of the lost children, Delicatessen, and Alien 4(yup this one is the odd one of the bunch but if you've seen it you can really tell he has a certain stye about his work). Happy viewing!!

mygrain said:
I saw "A very long engagement" last night. FREAKIN AWESOME!!! absolutely beautiful as expected. The story was just a wee bit slower than other Jeunet films but equally as amazing. Brilliant cast and breath taking art direction makes this a must see in any film lover's book. His other films if youa re not familiar with his work are amelie, city of the lost children, Delicatessen, and Alien 4(yup this one is the odd one of the bunch but if you've seen it you can really tell he has a certain stye about his work). Happy viewing!!

I'm a huge Jeunet fan. I'm gonna have to go out and rent this now...

Most reactions

Back