The Movie Thread

Pink Floyd The Wall--

Go get it, and watch it multiple times. Thats pretty much my review. I downloaded this one, and it was absolutely gorgeous from start to finish.

oh and guys, get "The Girls Next Door", youll know why :)

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory twice last weekend. What a great movie. I just read roger eberts review. What a dull, no-imagination, dim wit. I never once thought of michael jackson when I saw him. If you tried real hard, I could see how you might come up with it. But heres where minor creativity comes in. The guy lives in his factory and never leaves!!! Hows the guy supposed to get sun!? Hence the pale skin. This would also explain the lack of people skills. But that also is what makes him funny in the movie. He tries so hard to like the people, he just doesnt know how.

I thought this remake was much better than the original. The original was creepy to me. Willy Wonka was an arogent jerk with no sense of humor. Once you thought he was being nice he turned and bit the kid in the hand. Depp did a great job of being a likeable character but also kind of not really caring what happened to the kids that deserved what they got.

Pay to see this movie in the theater, you wont regret it. I had almost quit going to see movies in the theater because every time I went I wasnt happy with what I paid for. I actualy saw this movie twice in the theater opening weekend.

eromallagadnama said:
For those interested in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory here's a link to Ebert's review...the comparison between Wonka and MJ is funny and freaky at the same time...not sure if I want to see this at all after reading this:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050714/REVIEWS/50628001

Except that Wonka doesn't like children.

I saw the movie. While I still enjoy the original more, this one was actually really well done. Gotta love the dark burton feel to the film, but the original had a certain mystery that the new one lacked. There was far more backstory and an epilogue in this version. I was really looking forward to Depp reciting "Is it raining, is it snowing, is a hurricane a blowin'..." but it never happened.

The movie was very enjoyable though. I was actually :lmao: a few times which I wasn't expecting.

I thought this remake was much better than the original. The original was creepy to me. Willy Wonka was an arogent jerk with no sense of humor. Once you thought he was being nice he turned and bit the kid in the hand. Depp did a great job of being a likeable character but also kind of not really caring what happened to the kids that deserved what they got.
Have you read the book? Along with being a clean freak, Wonk is arrogant. I like Depp and all, but Wilder nailed that roll. Depp used far more liberty in his version.

graigdavis said:

I think that's sort of what I enjoyed about the first...Gene Wilder was and always will be Willy Wonka in my mind. Which is why I'm almost hesistant about seeing Depp in this role. In the first Wonka comes around at the end...he did it all to figure out who to give the factory to.

I'm with Chad on the "Is it raining" bit :lol: That part of the movie is always what people hate, but I find it to be hilarious...it's a shame that it's been left out.

Just curious...what did you all think of the Oompa Loompa's? I thought that they were the coolest things when I was little, and to me that sort of made the movie...Ebert gives them a good review...but what did you guys think?

Just curious...what did you all think of the Oompa Loompa's? I thought that they were the coolest things when I was little, and to me that sort of made the movie...Ebert gives them a good review...but what did you guys think?
I loved the oompa loompas! They even had a backstory in this film!

Yea, Oompas were awesome. The song and dance bits were the best.

Depp did a pretty good job of showing he doesnt like kids/people. There are a couple times he just blatently ignores them or just turns away from something they say and says "I dont care". hes just not as extreme as what Gene was in the first one.

I thought the movie was going to be creepy from the reviews also. Depp just looked...sick. You kinda get used to it and actualy like how he looks. Im just a huge Depp fan though. Hes the man.

I recently bought a movie online called Dirty Pretty Things. It was a pretty good movie, but it took an effort to like it in my opinion. There is no one thing you can say is bad about it. I guess it's something with me and foreign films.

Ahh foreign films, one of my favs is Life is Beautiful!!! If you haven't seen it go rent it now! It's amazing!

"I feel the need...The Need for Speed!"

If you can guess the line, I watched it last nite. :mrgreen:

MDowdey said:
did you already mention wedding crashers amanda???

if you didnt...GO SEE IT. its frigging hillarious!!!!!

:)

Nope haven't seen it yet, but it did look hilarious!!! I can't wait to see it now :)

Most reactions

Back