The Movie Thread

I saw the "Island" last night. :thumbup: Not bad...not bad at all...it was less on the science and more on the fiction but it was still a fun ride. mcgregor was great as usual as well as Sean Bean, but johansson was a bit goofy throughout the whole thing. The car chase scene is absolutely mindboggling...think the car wreck scene from final destination 2 with a heeping dose of the car chase scene from matrix2...ohhhh yeeaaahhh!! Michael Bay is one of the great in the action genre but that's pretty much about it. Oh i hope he doesnt screw up the new Transformers movie.

eromallagadnama said:
Diary of a Mad Black Woman This movie was not what I had expected, but ended up being pretty good. From the previews you get the idea that it's going to be all about the older lady and be more of a comedy. However it's actually more of a serious film with comic relief. The story line is pretty decent, and Tyler Perry does a nice job in all three roles. So if you don't go in expecting a comedy you won't be disappointed :)

I agree, I liked this movie alot. I found the the growth of the main character to be interesting and well done. Well worth renting.

GARDEN STATE - I watched this primarily because I'm a Natalie Portmann fan but found I really liked it. The soundtrack is amazing as well.

CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - Johnny Depp was brilliant, the facial expressions cracked me up. Charlie was so visually perfect for the role it looks like the Genetically engineered him. All in all I like this film and can just imagine the reaction of someone taking drugs before seeing it.

FANTASTIC FOUR - Getting beyond the drool factor of Jessica Alba, this movie while interesting to watch seemed a bit too much like a 2 hour preview of further films. Most of the film being devoted to the development of the Fantastic 4 with a rather weak battle with "Dr. Doom" at the end. The guy playing torch was too funny, Michael Chiklis was perfect for the role of the Thing and you got to give the man props, that costume could not be easy. I didn't like the guy playing Reed Richards, just didn't see right. The guy playing Dr. Doom was great. And finally, Jessica Alba.... <drooooollll>, she looked great as usual, which is the only thing that saves her since her acting ability is on par with Kermit the Frog and thats probably insulting Kermit. All together though the movie was fun and enjoyable to watch.

CONSTANTINE - I was quite surprised by this movie. The story was interesting and while the ploy developed into a prophecy style ending the execution was sufficiently interesting to keep my attention. Keanu was his usual moody dark self but in this character it works and he while Keanu is limited in range he does do this style well. I would definately recommend putting this on your netflix.

I just watched the Life Aquatic . I am still trying to decide if I liked it. The acting seemed really stiff at the beginning and loosened up toward the end. It did make me laugh in parts. And the little animations in it made me smile.

Was just watching the news and supposedly, in the film the guys wear purple hearts, and the FBI is pretty ticked about it. You can even go on the movie site and print out your own...

"Tokyo Godfathers" RULES!!! What an awesome movie. You don't have to be a fan of animation to love this film. It is a beautiful story and masterfully directed. I was totally captivated through this entire film. And if you are a fan in animation then drop whatever the hell you are doing and go find this movie. it's brilliant!

surfingfireman said:
Xmetal, I see no one is taking your challenge... That would be TOP GUN.

We have a winner...Surfingfireman is on "the board for the alternates in the Ladies room". :lol:

Just recently watched We Were Soldiers... Loved it.

Xmetal said:
Just recently watched We Were Soldiers... Loved it.

I friggin love that movie. So good.

Have you checked out The Last Castle? That is another one that I could watch over and over again.

Aubrey: I've been meaning to hire a copy and watch it for ages!! (burn a copy if I like it too :twisted: ) Have you seen Black Hawk Down? Tis another good war flick I highly recommend! :D

I will admit that it We Were Soldiers was a really graphic film, especially the part where the young American/Asian guy gets roasted by Napalm - I nearly vomited when the photographer went to grab his legs and pulled his skin off. :shock:
All in all though I really enjoyed it. :mrgreen:

Mr and Mrs Smith Watched it last night and loved it. The storyline is well done, the fight scenes are pretty awesome, and the use is subtle humor is great. The pairing of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie was suprisingly good as well...usually I don't like her too much, but she was terrific in this one, and well Brad could never be bad :lol:

Since this thread has dropped away, I'll move it up.

I watched The Motorcycle Diaries Tuesday. A very good movie. But really impressed me was the cinamatography. It was truely amazing. Virtually every shot could have stood on it's own as a still shot. I highly recommend this one.

On DVD:

Saw Hitch finally, great movie.

Saw Hostage w/ Bruce Willis. Meh. It was ok.

On Screen:

Saw March of the Penguins with my daughter. It was really good, but could have waited to see it on Discovery. My daughter LOVED it.

I finally saw Howl's Moving Castle. What a ride it was...amazing anime.

Went to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night. It was alright. I got a little bored with it. I personally liked the first rendition better. But I did grow up watching it all the time. But remembering that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory wasn’t a remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but rather another directors view of the book. I thought a lot of things in CanCF were a little to over the top for me. But nonetheless it was a very “pretty” film. Wasn’t really fond of the grandpa and I missed the Orange umpa lumpas and the Umpa Lumpa song…

And I saw Wedding Crashers when it first came out, with my mom. :meh: She thought it was going to be a nice romantic comedy...:lol:

Most reactions

Back