The Nik Collection is now FREE!

Have fun getting it to work if you don't already have PS or LR...................

Anyone know if it is compatible with PSE11?

I have always preferred to write my own plugins and scripts for software and tweaking other peoples work. Therefore I prefer open source to the locked proprietary crap software. GIMP works a lot better than PS for editing with total control.
I always had to use PS at work before I retired and hated having to use what someone else thought worked when I could see how to improve it so much but couldn't.

The terrific advantage for Color Efex Pro is not that it can do things that PS can't by itself, it allows you to stack an entire set of corrections that have been individually tweaked and apply them at once - and then go back and tweak individual parts as you like. These result in a single layer rather than the 10 or 12 layers that you had to juggle before.

I use only aout 5 of the options routinely but it is still an enormous time saver for me.

Does anyone know of some good tutorials for it? Are the videos produced by Google the best, or is there someone else I should be looking for?

Never used a tutorial but the format is just like LR and the best way I've found to use it is just to try the various presets.

The only two tricky non-intuitive parts were: 1) the way to stack filter effects.
Use add another filter

upload_2016-3-25_12-43-28.png

Which is over on the right side

upload_2016-3-25_12-45-36.png

You can also save a set of effects as your own 'recipe' (that will appear under recipes on the left column)
upload_2016-3-25_12-55-25.png

2) If you choose an effect that has multiple smaller presets, you will see a stack of screens

upload_2016-3-25_12-47-36.png

Click on the stack and the screen will display all the possibles presets on the left with the current but changeable settings on the right.

upload_2016-3-25_12-51-1.png

Last edited:
Oh, seemingly it will open with a default filter as the last one you choosed.
Just choose another without clicking add filter and default is replaced.
Turn off/on individual effects with the check box
upload_2016-3-25_13-2-25.png

I'm certain there is more useful stuff but that's what occurs to me now.

I would be foolish if I didn't download it and install it. I've been playing around with it and while it's pretty neat, I don't see myself using it all that often but it can be very handy for those photos where Lightroom just isn't cutting it.

The Raw presharpener is pretty impressive though.

Sharpening applied in LR is a bit tricky anytime when the sharpening isn't global.
There are three parts to sharpening - input, artistic and output.
IMO, LR is too inexact for artistic sharpening, which often requires tight selection and lots of do-overs.
When you start doing exotic mixes of sharpening in different areas, LR doesn't work for me as well as PS.

I've been using the Nik Collection for about a year. The Define does a great job on noise. If you want to edit with the same filters and adjustments on more than one photo, save as an action. But, the masks will not be saved. I like the brush option too. The Nik Channel on YT has a lot of wonderful tutorials.

OK- couldn't resist. Downloaded and tested.

Worked just fine stand-alone AND as plugins for PSE ver. 14.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back