The Nikon 1

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon 1 System First Impressions: Digital Photography Review

"Over the course of the last year or two, mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera systems have gone from being interesting portents of things to come to distinctly mainstream products."

* take note of the sensor size Nikon has chosen....

So where's those threads were select individuals said mirror-less was a waist of time? (I'd dig them up... but I'd probably be banned in the process)

:lol:

This is going to be interesting... one of the big two has come to play in the new market. What's Canon's response? What are the current players going to do; Olympus, Panasonic, Sony??? Whose going to actually be the first to market with a "professional" level mirror less? Let's not forget those that are in the pipeline.... Leica included. Will usayit buy his first Nikon?

Last edited:
I'm hoping that Nikon won't make the numerous generation jumps that the others have in such a short amount of time. Will be patiently waiting and watching in earnest though.

On similar but completely different note.... will be test driving a few high end compacts this weekend for my partner. She has a $500 budget, but if the XZ-1 pans out, I'll throw in the extra C-note.

I actually don't mind the generation jumps personally.. although I know it annoys people. I guess because I never really cared about having the latest and greatest. E-P3 almost has me jumping..... almost... maybe used when the E-P4 comes out.

You know the XZ-1 shares the same EVF attachment as your E-P3? go VF-2!

I'm really on the fence between the VF-2 and VF-3. My local shop only has the VF-3 in stock and plan to check it out this weekend as well.

Why are you an advocate of the VF-2?

I'm really on the fence between the VF-2 and VF-3. My local shop only has the VF-3 in stock and plan to check it out this weekend as well.

Why are you an advocate of the VF-2?

This is why

"The company has also introduced the VF-3 electronic viewfinder for its PEN series of Micro Four Thirds cameras. This is a smaller, slightly lower resolution (0.97x magnification, 920k dot, rather than 1.15x, 1.44M dot) alternative to the existing VF-2. "

"slightly" lower turns into significantly lower when it comes to EVFs. I found the VF-2 easy to use with manual focus lenses.... its every bit as good as the built in ones in the Panasonic G.

I still find a Leica rangefinder the coolest camera around ... I am not really sure if these new small mirror-less high end camera system are trying to emulate the status of the old rangefinders.

What really is the advantage of these new camera's ?

They are all stellar facebook cameras.
Although on the surface that makes sense and is a potential target market, but from a broader perspective, it offers a dSLR shooter a smaller footprint alternative. I was getting extremely tired of hauling a sh!tload of gear around and not actually enjoying the party.

What really is the advantage of these new camera's ?
Oly 14-42mm (28-84 equivalent) vs Nikkor 24-70mm with gripped D700 (in transit mode)

i-87h79hk-XL.jpg

Oly 40-150mm (80-300mm equivalent) vs Nikkor 70-200mm with gripped D700

i-5cQ7Zq8-XL.jpg

Images from a m43

i-ffK2CwG-XL.jpg

i-X485hVz-XL.jpg

i-TTVQr2B-XL.jpg

i-hNSMLTw-XL.jpg

i-kZc6DZF-XL.jpg

They may be small, but they are not toy cameras.

It's not as big in TPF but in one of the photo forums I'm on there are a good few people getting these new mirrorless cameras simply because they've found that the DSLR, whilst fantastic is just not practical for many situations and the bridge and point and shoot cameras lack quality. Enter the mirrorless, the compliment to (not replacement of) the DSLR -- for those times when your out with friends/family or travelling light and the DSLR is just not worth bringing. This is especially true for those who want long range lenses for grabshots, packing a DSLR and a 300/400mm quality lens is a big and heavy order (esp if your DSLR gear is highend) and many times even if you can carry it, chances are it will end up living in the bag on your back/shoulder and not in your hands.

My only complaint is that it seems the camera companies are still trying to decide how good they let these mirrorless cameras be; I just hope they cotton onto the idea that they compliment and not threaten the DSLR lines as that would let them get more advanced shooting features - rather than having them peekout weaker and end up with lots of point and shoot features simply being added.

Just very glad that there are more players in the compact w interchangeable lens system. Sensor is one thing, but that's something that can be upgraded with time and compensated with lens options. I think it will still come down to the range of lens that will be offered.

What I hope is, entry-level DSLR (D3100 ish) as well as highend point and shoots ( G12) will become obsolete. There will then be three categories of equipment. High end DSLR and lens for professionals, compact w interchangeable lens for enthusiasts and entry level point and shoots for general consumer.

Considering how many masses of sales there are and also how many people get hooked and move onto higher end gear I can't see any of the big players dropping their entry level lines of DSLRs - heck Canon even managed to run two entry level lines. Mass sales speaks a lot and I think the attraction of the proper DSLR will still hold its worth in years to come.

Most reactions

Back