The Nikon 1

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by usayit, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It's not as big in TPF but in one of the photo forums I'm on there are a good few people getting these new mirrorless cameras simply because they've found that the DSLR, whilst fantastic is just not practical for many situations and the bridge and point and shoot cameras lack quality. Enter the mirrorless, the compliment to (not replacement of) the DSLR -- for those times when your out with friends/family or travelling light and the DSLR is just not worth bringing. This is especially true for those who want long range lenses for grabshots, packing a DSLR and a 300/400mm quality lens is a big and heavy order (esp if your DSLR gear is highend) and many times even if you can carry it, chances are it will end up living in the bag on your back/shoulder and not in your hands.

My only complaint is that it seems the camera companies are still trying to decide how good they let these mirrorless cameras be; I just hope they cotton onto the idea that they compliment and not threaten the DSLR lines as that would let them get more advanced shooting features - rather than having them peekout weaker and end up with lots of point and shoot features simply being added.

2. molested_cow

molested_cow TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Just very glad that there are more players in the compact w interchangeable lens system. Sensor is one thing, but that's something that can be upgraded with time and compensated with lens options. I think it will still come down to the range of lens that will be offered.

What I hope is, entry-level DSLR (D3100 ish) as well as highend point and shoots ( G12) will become obsolete. There will then be three categories of equipment. High end DSLR and lens for professionals, compact w interchangeable lens for enthusiasts and entry level point and shoots for general consumer.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Considering how many masses of sales there are and also how many people get hooked and move onto higher end gear I can't see any of the big players dropping their entry level lines of DSLRs - heck Canon even managed to run two entry level lines. Mass sales speaks a lot and I think the attraction of the proper DSLR will still hold its worth in years to come.

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really don't see that as an issue. In my short time in this realm of gear, it appears there is a concerted effort for the main contenders (Oly & Panny) are doing their due diligence to see this format to become a standad format of option.

My complaint is the lens options on offer. At the moment there are three prime lenses that have sparked a great deal of interest from users. The Oly 45mm f/1.8, 12mm f/2.0 and the Panny/Leica 25mm f/1.4. The problem is distribution to vendors. The people in this format are chomping at the bit for quality glass. The primes are being addressed, but the zooms are severly sucking hind tit. Most are very slow and all of my research have only found (slow) varibale apertures. The problem IMO is that if a f/2.8 constant zoom is designed, it will defeat the premise of the m43 format.... size. However, I believe technology will march onwards and eventually a resonable alternative will surface.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Speaking of micro 43 primes... My used ebay mint Panny 20mm f1.7 just arrived. It was a splurge driven by GAS. It should compliment my 14mm and adapted 50mm quite nicely.

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I still think m4/3rds is the best option in general.

It's the Goldilocks system:
    Not too big (NEX, NX)
    Not too small (Pentax Q)
    Bright lenses (12/2, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8)
    the most pancake lenses (14, 20, 14-42X)
    the most lenses in general (use of both panasonic and olympus optics)
    small bodies (E-PM1, GF3)
    big bodies (GH2, G3)

NEX has lenses that are way too big, or are optical garbage
    Samsung NX is...well it's samsung..
    Pentax blew it with lousy design
    Nikon i think will be in the same position as Pentax

m4/3rds is right in the middle of all that.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    It seems that's a good explanation.... The FF DSLR is the new medium sized format while the m4/3 is the right small format for digital with MF digitals taking place where large format sat.

This guy seems to agree:

The Online Photographer: Micro 4/3 is the Big Kahuna

We'll have to see...

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think more people should actually read and understand the m4/3 format before they thumb their noses at it. It is a viable option in both forward and rearward motions. People wanting to upgrade from a P&S or those that need a good, but smaller alternative...... even as a second body backup that can also be used as the "little fun camera" for those not-so-serious engagements.

9. EchoingWhisper

EchoingWhisper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is it possible that Nikon increase the sensor size without changing the Nikon 1 Lens system?

10. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I'm iffy with the Nikon announcement. Nothing jumped out at me as stellar, must have. The choice of sensor size is kinda wierd. The AF seems tantalizing. It seems a bit too little, too late though...but at least they're in the game. As far as M4/3, I like the PEN I have and the shear amount of lenses available, but really like Sony's IQ on my NEX-3. Debating on the Zeiss prime that is scheduled to be released. The specs on the NEX-7 are tempting, but I can't justify splurging on it. I only use my micro systems when I go out and do not want to haul DSLR around. I don't consider micro systems DSLR killers or game changers, but they definitely have their niche.

11. EchoingWhisper

EchoingWhisper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I hope the next versions are much smaller.

12. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit