The ONE-LIGHT PORTRAIT Challenge

Great shot!!! (I don't see that telephone pole of a stogey on the gear list though... ;) )
CODB :biglaugh:

I know it's kinda had to read on this size image, but the leading story of the paper is titled... "City introduces transit smoking ban". Made me laugh.

Here's a couple more that made me grin. I set the interval timer for a shot every 5 seconds.

Caught myself in the middle of a real ripper....
i-4zzW6vK-XL.jpg

At my age, I should know by now to never trust a fart.
i-grRDHLn-XL.jpg

:biggrin:

View attachment 35911

Being a noob, this was a very simple setup. I put an AlienBees B800 outside the window and pointed it at her face. I had a grid on it but I can't remember which one. I shot using a Canon 7d with a Canon 24-70 2.8 lens @50mm, f5.6, 100 ISO, 1/200. I kept moving the light around and changing the grid trying to get well-defined shadows on her arms without obscuring too much of her face.

This pose was our backup plan. Our original plan was to try and recreate a film noir type of street scene. I made a street light out of pvc pipe (painted black) and a porch light fixture. A black background, some fog and an old prom dress and we were in business. The only problem was the pics turned out looking like either a screen shot from a cheesy horror flick or an ad for a "working girl". Being that this is my daughter I am shooting, I scrapped the plan A idea and moved on to the window shot! :blushing:

$IMG_5267sm.jpg

Yes, Phillip, love the lighting on that one.

8414925816_5d237fb61f_c.jpg

150-watt clear bulb in a clamp light undiffused three feet to photo left. Reflector photo left about a foot away. f/11 (maybe f/8??? don't really remember) on a 28-85mm lens (most likely around the 50mm range, I really need to write some of this stuff down for future reference, manual lenses and EXIF don't work together well), ISO 1600, 1/100 and a 20 degree Fahrenheit room.

Last edited:
Live damn you!

One strobe in all of them through either a beauty dish, large octobox or a shoot through umbrella...with a white sheet because I lost my reflector. lol

I feel that nagging urge to buy a pocket wizard coming on again....

I feel that nagging urge to buy a pocket wizard coming on again....

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it.... (((O!O)))

Haha, I think i probably will :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back