The past 2 days

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well this one surprised me in a few ways. I was shooting a wildlife video with my buddies for his e-book. We were done shooting and this Osprey just appeared above us. I almost fell over backwards when I got this shot. I was really surprised at how popular it was. 120 shares and over 300 likes on facebook... I had posted very similar shots last year and they were met with very little enthusiasm.. I was also really surprised that it got explored on flickr and actually made it up to 150 for the day...

Comments are always welcome...

1 If you check this on flickr be nice and mark as a fav or leave a comment so I can climb the explore ladder :)

Osprey with Fish Straight up by krisinct, on Flickr

I called this guy "Sam the Seagull" he reminded me of Sam the Eagle from the Muppets. He looked like an old salty dog and had quite striking eyes.

"Sam" The Seagull by krisinct, on Flickr

Seagull Portrait by krisinct, on Flickr

Seems to be a few Cedar Waxwings around. I haven't photographed too many of them so I was happy to see this one and get some detail..

Cedar Waxwing by krisinct, on Flickr

I just really liked the pose and background on this Song Sparrow

Sparrow by krisinct, on Flickr

FABULOUS angle on that osprey dude!!!! Not sure I have ever seen a directly-below POV on osprey--and with such a nice fish too!! The backlighting on the tail feathers is exquisite.

Wow, what a unique point of view on the Osprey shot. It is interesting to see how it holds the fish in flight.

#1: Gosh, you must be really lucky and/or have a "great camera" to get a shot like that! :lmao: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

It IS an awesome shot. I've never had one fly right over me with a great big fish in its claws like that--but even the ones I've had fly over me without a catch (ospreys, eagles, hawks, even a roseate spoonbill recently...), it always throws me off balance so bad that I can't get the shot. I have a type of inner-ear vertigo and I just can't seem to quite do that "point the camera straight up" shot without being at severe risk of falling over! :lmao:

CC, great shots as usual. That osprey one - talk about being in the right place at the right time and the seagull - love the portrait in #3.

WesternGuy

They're all great shots, but #1 is a rare and unique point of view, and very well captured. Love the wings, body, position, timing, and that fish is just great :)

Kevin

FABULOUS angle on that osprey dude!!!! Not sure I have ever seen a directly-below POV on osprey--and with such a nice fish too!! The backlighting on the tail feathers is exquisite.
Thanks Derrel. I still can't figure out what kind of fish it is?

Wow, what a unique point of view on the Osprey shot. It is interesting to see how it holds the fish in flight.
Thanks Cheryl!

#1: Gosh, you must be really lucky and/or have a "great camera" to get a shot like that! :lmao: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
You know me, mr lucky! :) Once the video is out you will get to watch it and see my luck :p We just had finished filming, if they don't cut the parts out you will see my eyes are always twitchy scanning the horizon :) It's good to always have your camera ready to go, I had set my metering before we started filming...

CC, great shots as usual. That osprey one - talk about being in the right place at the right time and the seagull - love the portrait in #3.

WesternGuy
Thanks WG.. I loved the eyes on this old seagull, they had quite a shimmer to them..

They're all great shots, but #1 is a rare and unique point of view, and very well captured. Love the wings, body, position, timing, and that fish is just great :)

Kevin
Thanks Kevin!

I'm not an expert on Connecticut's fish population. I think however that it might be an American shad. Report Totals by Dam Query Shad return in large numbers from the ocean beginning in April, and running usually well into June (same out west here in some rivers!). Of course there are some other fish species in your area, but to me it looks like American shad.

I'm not an expert on Connecticut's fish population. I think however that it might be an American shad. Report Totals by Dam Query Shad return in large numbers from the ocean beginning in April, and running usually well into June (same out west here in some rivers!). Of course there are some other fish species in your area, but to me it looks like American shad.

Shad would be too easy.. The body shape is too long and slender and the head shape is really wrong...

I would look on the COnnecticut dept of fish and wildlife's site for their "fish of Connecticut" I.D. illustration page--most DFW agencies across the US have a page like that, showing the popular sports/game/food fish of their state. We talked about this some time ago. There are some fish species there that we do not have. The fin positions, pectoral and anal fins appear coincident with shad...those are pretty good markers for fish ID, as is tail shape (ie, forked, deeply forked, spots or not, etc). Scale color (ie silver, large scales, or small scales, etc.) all help point to what fish species it is.

I know what you mean about the head shape--seems pretty long. Could it be a striped bass in its saltwater stage of life?

I'm a pretty avid fisherman actually! But they really look different flying through the air, lol.. Striped bass always look the same.. Bluefish, bunker, herring, mackerel are all out for sure.. It looks pike or pickerel like body but the markings on the side are wrong. It almost looks like a baby barracuda with the face structure but we don't have them here.. I have a FB body that work for FWS he commented on the photo but not about ID.. I can probably have him dig up an id...

I found the CT angling regs...the tail looks very forked...

maybe weakfish or white perch? I see some striping (I think I do) on the sides of the fish, hence the striped bass thought.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/anglers_guide/anguide.pdf

Are the osprey fishing fresh water habitat (page 33 in the regs) or saltwater (page 49)?

WE MUST solve this mystery!

Wow.

That Osprey looks like he is on a bombing run.

Are the osprey fishing fresh water habitat (page 33 in the regs) or saltwater (page 49)?

WE MUST solve this mystery!

LOL, I caught thousands of white perch when I was younger, wrong body shape.. Just to make matters worse, where I shoot is at the end of the CT river, so it is mostly salt, but brackish. I Think he flew in from the sound side so it would be salt...

I officially put in a request with Fish and Wildlife Services :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back