What's new

The Poppies will make them Sleep!

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
10,417
Reaction score
9
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
800c8018.jpg
 
What was I thinking?

Extract interesting landscape from normally benign scene.

notes:
--
- Subject
-- Bush against poppies- clouds

- Natural rythm
-- colors
-- textures
-- light
--
- Morning light
- Contrasting light
- Raking light
- Direct sunlight (clouds)
- Deep shadow

Horizontal format-

- Thirds
-- Sky
-- Flowers
-- Deep, well defined shadow

Balanced thirds
-- Brush and clouds balnced by higher, darker hill on right.

Slightly angular streak of bright light through horizontal center.
 
Well there you go, you critiqued your own photo :)

It's very well done, I like it a lot. I wonder what made the shadow -- another hill? The sky in the right hand corner is darker blue; I would have loved for the whole sky to be that color. The clouds so close to the horizon have an interesting effect. They're almost mimicking the bushes.
 
Very nicely done... I like.
 
Yep, there I go.

Those are notes. I didn't get them in earlier and the shot looked like it could've used a little bump, so there I go.

I pretty much don't care about critique. So whatever. I am glad you like what you like and thank you for that.

Thanks Graelwyn.
 
thank you for that.

You're welcome, and sorry that I made the assumption you wanted criticism, and that we couldn't discuss anything of value.
 
You're welcome, and sorry that I made the assumption you wanted criticism, and that we couldn't discuss anything of value.

It seems to be a shame to make the assumption that I think we have nothing of value to discuss if it's not criticising my photo. And it's a shame and a loss that you feel that unless there's some type of critical interaction between us you have nothing to say of value.

A photographer gets to a point where criticism is virtually meaningless. Someone always will have something to say that they think will make it better. So fine. I believe they should take that and apply it to thier own work.

Simple axiom: If you see something you like, do that. If you see something you don't like, don't do that.

From that point on I believe it's about finding your vision, who you are and developing your style to fit your vision. Criticism can grow to become a pain in the ass and increasingly more often insensitively insulting.

Another thought, I used to play golf with my little brother. At first I would win all the time. After awhile. the monster would kick my butt all over the course. I would screw up more with every hole, he would get better with every hole. I couldn't figure it out. I asked him for a critique on my swing. He told me I did just fine- by the book. However, I was playing the last ball. I kept dwelling on my errors on the last swing. He played what he had in front of him. He got really good and ultimately won a few small amatuer tournaments. I quit. But I take a hell of a lot better photo than him. He keeps asking me what he's doing wrong?

So hang out and check things out. There's a few very good photographers on site that haven't been ran off by random criticism. Make friends, show your stuff, ask questions. Don't go off pouting because nobody cares about your crit.

Or a last option, put me on your ignore list. Whatever, I got **** to do.
 
:)

My apology was sincere -- I made a mistake. And thanks for your advice.

And I understand what you mean about critiques. Mine, in particular isn't worth much at this point. I hope the photographers I get to learn from will include you.
 
Cool photo, abraxas, but I think its just about time you came out and admitted this is simply a photo of your opium farm. haha :)
 
Thanks!

:)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom