The results of my photography class

mbbye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently took a six week long photography class at a local community college. We had various assignments throughout the course and I wanted to show off a bit of my work. Please feel free to C&C.

1. "Centered in our universe"
ByeGeometry1.jpg

2. "Beau Bye"
ByeSelfPortrait1.jpg

3. "Dihydrogen monoxide"
ByePrairieDog2.jpg

4. "A wolf in sheep's clothing"
ByePrairieDog1.jpg

5. "To the skies"
ByeGeometry2.jpg

6. "Joe Powell"
ByePortrait1.jpg

Last edited:
im not feeling #2 and 6, i like the others, especially the water one, we didnt work with color in my photography classes though so i couldnt really pull those off

Love them all especially #5...Where/what exactly is that in the picture?

Thanks for the comments. Numbers 2 and 6 were my first real attempt at portrait work. I was pretty happy with how they turned out for a first try, but I agree there is definitely room to improve.

As for number 5, it is a sundial/meridian arc located at the Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles.

Thanks for the comments. Numbers 2 and 6 were my first real attempt at portrait work. I was pretty happy with how they turned out for a first try, but I agree there is definitely room to improve.

As for number 5, it is a sundial/meridian arc located at the Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles.
the main thing about portrait is to make sure if its a head shot, get the whole head, if its wast up, make sure you dont have any body parts cut out of hte frame

the main thing about portrait is to make sure if its a head shot, get the whole head, if its wast up, make sure you dont have any body parts cut out of hte frame

I know this is one of the "rules" of photography, but I've always been attracted to portraits that fill over even seem to break out of the frame. This was my thinking for the tight crop. I guess I'm unconventional when it comes to portraits, I'll have to try the more traditional route soon.

I know this is one of the "rules" of photography, but I've always been attracted to portraits that fill over even seem to break out of the frame. This was my thinking for the tight crop. I guess I'm unconventional when it comes to portraits, I'll have to try the more traditional route soon.
as long as you make it work you may be able to pull it off as an abstract portrait? i mainly did abstract work in highschool in my photography classes

I like them all except 2 & 4
good job !

#5 is really cool, leads the eye well. feels like a roller coaster! :)

Rules are meant to be broken. :wink: While it bothers some people when the top of the head is cut off, there are a number of professional photographers who do just that. What's important is to make sure you get the entire face up to the hairline in frame. (Which you did!)

Rules are meant to be broken. :wink: While it bothers some people when the top of the head is cut off, there are a number of professional photographers who do just that. What's important is to make sure you get the entire face up to the hairline in frame. (Which you did!)

Thanks. That's my thoughts as well. It's all in the eye of the photographer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back