The Rules of Art (and photography) - I'm gonna tell them to you

[/QUOTE]New Criticism allows art to exist in it's own "space", it allows the audience to participate with art, rather than simply being "shouted at" by the artist - it acknowledges that audience worldview has value and merit in it's interpretation, rather than denying it. It introduces the notion that art is an experience that we share, rather than this sort of one-dimensional, singular message. It allows art to be art, not art history - which has entirely different objectives. (not that there is anything wrong with art history)

What I think is important to remember, however, is that the artist also has an experience with the art he or she creates. This experience is not invalid or inferior to the audience, and the audience's experience is not inferior to the artist's.

Basically new criticism is saying that so long as you're truly experiencing art, you can't be experiencing it "wrong" simply because you came to a different conclusion from the artist.[/QUOTE]I like more historical. Consider the selective color. Selective color meets the requirements for throwing off the composition. It attracts the eye more easily to a subject. As a tool, it works and was very well received by most. I myself like selective color to a extent (just not on serious work). The audience clearly enjoyed/enjoys it so experience it just fine. Selective color makes your job easier in creating a work. So what is wrong with it? It never quite gained legitimacy as it was doubted it would stand the test of time. People started considering it a fad. Does selective color belong is serious works of art? At its peak, some may have believed it was a legitimate tool. Instances like this call in to question the audiences merit. As peoples tastes change and fads to come and go. I believe the audiences experience always is inferior. The artists vision and rendering comes to completion upon completion of the work. It is fixed, does not change. Unmoving. The audiences experience and thoughts on that work does change, as the audience changes whether one individual to the next looking at the piece or one generation to the next. Why i never understood why so much weight was ever put on the audience (unless you are dealing with paid work). Along with that we have quotes like "art is made for its generation" but then near opposite "true art stands the test of time". Well which is it?

I agree with those who've said that it is a bad idea to push "rules" with beginners. Whichever "rule" you pick, there are many images out there in museums and books that don't follow it, so why would we want to handcuff someone that way?

However, it's the basic effects of different choices that help us to explain why something works or not, e.g., it matters where things are in the frame and their relation to other objects in the frame and what effect this has, lines are important in directing attention or creating mood (ditto for color and tone), line and position may create a path through the image which makes it more effective, etc.

It's important to know how to think about and talk about an image. If you read some of the classic books on composition they don't give you rules, just basic principles that help in understanding an image.

hey i am swapping out my nicad batteries in my tools for the lithium ion. No problems there. I am wondering though if the higher capacity lithiums are worth double the price tag. Just batteries to run drills, circular saw, hammers, that kind of thing. Anyone know if the higher capacities are worth the extra bucks? And how much better are they at slow draw when sitting for periods? :1219:

We have millions of people who call comic books graphic novels, and yet there is just enough awareness of artistic standards that a gimmick like selective color never gained acceptance. 'MURICA!!!

.. there is just enough awareness of artistic standards that a gimmick like selective color never gained acceptance.
I've seen some that I liked, having been particularly well done, but I don't like all of it.

I do think "graphic novels" is a bit extreme of a description. Almost like saying that playing soccer is just jogging about a bit. Not the same caliber.

they have all suffered the same fate. Same with comic strips. I don't even think any of it is hand drawn anymore. So the older material would probably be worth a lot more. Seems i watched something on disney cartoons being created of similar nature. Used to be more hand drawn, labor intensive. Now computer animation. The hand drawn ones are probably the ones you might want to collect if you are looking for something that might hold or gain value. And well, characters, issue or edition, year. All these things factor in.

I do think "graphic novels" is a bit extreme of a description. Almost like saying that playing soccer is just jogging about a bit. Not the same caliber.
comic book prices can go into the thousands of dollars. some of the original disney work, thousand and thousands. Dont let anyone kid you.

130953040.aYzxw3bN.thinkinsidethebox.jpg

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death already, but I'm not willing to get caught up on every post.

I consider my photography art, and I make my art based on the things that I like. I get that there are "rules" to photography, but I prefer to make my own rules on how I express my esthetic through a photograph. I actually found that I hated my work when all I could do was make sure I was following all of these "rules" that other photographers (from forums, facebook, etc) were trying to beat into my head. Eventually I realized my art was suffering because I didn't enjoy it anymore, but once I stopped listening to those voices saying what white balance was best or what lighting I had to use, or which way I had to edit, or that my exposure had to be a certain way in order to be "right", I started enjoying my art again and I finally started seeing improvements that I was proud of.

I think each person creates differently. Some people do best by following rules, and others don't. I choose not to follow rules in photography that I dislike. I encourage others to do the same. I also have ZERO education in the arts or with photography. I'm all self taught, but that doesn't somehow mean that I have no right to make my rules. The notion that someone must always know what rule they are breaking and why they're breaking it is absurd when it comes to visual self expression. I firmly believe that an artist should simply follow the path they want to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back