The Street of San Antonio Project

LShooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love street photography. Unlike some though who shoot for the passing in-motion shot, the fleeting event, that sniper shot from across the street; I prefer to meet people. When I head out to the streets I put my 50mm or my 85mm on and fill my pocket with some singles. I go to areas I know that the less fortunate are and I make conversation. It's not always easy and reactions can be mixed. I try to make these people know they are people too. I make conversation and offer a few dollars for food. Then I ask for some photos. My goal over the next year is to gather as many photos and stories as I can and put together a book. If I can find someone willing to publish it I intend to donate 100% of the money to our local homeless shelters. If you know someone in the publishing industry that can help, please let me know.

This is Jerry. He's been on the streets a long time. He's ill but in good spirits. We talked for a while. We're from the same city many states away. How strange. Karma maybe. When I reached out to shake his hand after I took his photos I think he almost cried. When do you think the last time it was that someone tried to shake his hand? He's not yelling at me, he's smiling and showing his lack of teeth.

7644244562_fc29ecb7eb_c.jpg

7644220668_0d79407cee_c.jpg

This next guy I watched from across the street for about 20 minutes as people did thier best to avoid him. He sat silently and I could not believe the lack of compassion. I walked up to him and started talking to him. He greatly accepted a few bucks for food. He was very soft spoken and I did not get his name. When I asked if I could take his photo he jumped up excited that somebody cared he existed. I told him just to sit back down and take it easy. Life is not easy on the streets.

7187463135_f375023f08_c.jpg

Jonathan is an amazing guy. I talked to him for about 40 minutes. Wonderful stories were shared. He was very excited to talk about years gone by and show me his non working cell phone. Have you ever taken the time to talk with a stranger?

7187468871_01b623687c_c.jpg

7187500179_01bf454168_c.jpg

Some folks don't have the energy to stay awake and conversate. Do you think they dream of a better life?

7395716446_5720d29a26_c.jpg

7396297298_3c4a3e86fb_c.jpg

Did you know most homeless people don't want to be homeless? Did you know that the main cause of homelessness in America is mental illness? Most of these folks are harmless human beings that can't live the reality you and I live. They don't understand. Don't exploit on your next journey to the streets. When I first started this project my heart would race before I approached these people. It's getting a bit better, but it's still part of the journey. And remember, when you can, offer to help. Your worst day is better than most of these folks' best day.

Hmmm... I think you're going to get mixed reviews on this set.

You do seem to be doing this to raise awareness, so I think that is admirable. Many times photographers just want to document the homeless and poverty stricken for their own benefit. I see that to be very unethical. So long as your intention remains as it is currently, no problem there.

I don't particularly care for the processing, it's been done and it's been done better. It makes sense that you'd want to pair gritty processing with a gritty subject matter, but I think you can do better and be less cliche.

ETA: the compassion you have for these people nearly makes me cry. Seriously, I keep reading about your conversations with these people... I need to stop, I'm sitting at work nearly blubbering like a kid.

Thanks for the input. If you knew me, you'd know this project is a huge step for me. I use to be very into myself and not really concerned with others. One day a woke up and had a big gulp of reality and I'm working hard to change. Regarding the images, there's no real processing done here other than a bit of desat, one b/w and one split tone. I have used the hyper-hdr grit in photos in the past, but I really want to keep these as real as they were on the street.

Last edited:
I think the last two are processed the best. Assuming the split toning was done in the second image... I just don't think it works for this.

Did you smooth the man's face in the third? Something seems off. I do like the eye contact you achieved. Really shows that you had a human connection, not just snapping photos of random homeless people.

Nope, no smoothing. That's just how he looked. The last has the most desat. And I really like the more blue b/w processing.

Most reactions

Back