The Sunny Side | A Bridge | Big-Stopper

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I drive over this bridge quite often... and today I decided to photograph it. I started on the other side, but the back-lit look wasn't working--I switched gears, switched sides, and the sun peeked through on this last shot which highlighted the bridge perfectly. I had been exposing for the shot without the sun, so I had to cut it short and guess: it worked out perfectly.

Nikon D800
Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII
Lee Big Stopper
Lee 0.6 GND Soft
Lee 0.9 GND Soft

The Sunny Side by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Comments and critiques welcome!

Cheers!
Jake

Love it. Like the light of the near side of the bridge. Curious on the crop choice. It works, but I'd like to see a touch more on the top.
Thinking about picking up a new set of filters that I don't have to screw in.
I'll have to check out the Lee's. Unless they are screw ins, but I don't think they are.

Love it. Like the light of the near side of the bridge. Curious on the crop choice. It works, but I'd like to see a touch more on the top.
Thinking about picking up a new set of filters that I don't have to screw in.
I'll have to check out the Lee's. Unless they are screw ins, but I don't think they are.

They are the plate-style. And well worth every penny [emoji106][emoji106]

My biggest issue with the crop is that I yearn for more on the right side. I like the open-ness of the left, and that conflicts with the tight crop on the right. I wanted it to be a "panorama" style crop, that's why it's so... Thin.

Jake

My biggest issue with the crop is that I yearn for more on the right side.

I think we are saying the saying the same thing, but I feel like giving me more headroom on the upper right might help.
Ya, the upper right is driving me nuts.

I'm nit picking of course, but I go through this **** constantly with my own stuff.
Composition is something that is a real physical thing for me.
It's a great photo - don't misunderstand. I just like talking composition because it's something I love playing with.
It's particularly interesting when something is so close. I'm sure at this point I've completely lost everyone.
I only mention it because you said you were struggling with it as well.

I'm sure there's medication that could help ...

[sigh]

;)

like the perspective, the composition (which now I cant get over what sliest brought up but didn't notice it so much at first) and how the trees came out in the background.

still kind of getting used the how the skies come out in these so kind of reserved on that one.

nice photo.

like the perspective, the composition (which now I cant get over what sliest brought up but didn't notice it so much at first) and how the trees came out in the background.

still kind of getting used the how the skies come out in these so kind of reserved on that one.

nice photo.

Thanks man! I'll convince you these "long exposure types" are cool. [emoji106][emoji106]

I love the long shutter speed effect of the sky.

Like this a lot Jake. Gotta put it on my bucket list.

Saw it on Insta and loved it then, now I can see it better... Love it more. Great capture!

I definitely see the benefit of having the ability to do one during the day. I think some of the effects of it I still haven't quite got on board with? Not to say bad, just it is different. some things take time to get used to I guess. One reason I do take a interest is It would limit my own shooting less and give me more adjustment room and options. Instead of having to wait until six oclock at night or have a f16 I could shoot slower at three in the afternoon with a f14, or something.
Guess I see the benefit of having more options (especially if you don't want to wait or plan your night and day around something)

Love it! So, that was 15 stops with the grads?

ETA: the B&W conversion turned out really nice!

Love it! So, that was 15 stops with the grads?

ETA: the B&W conversion turned out really nice!
Well, 15 stops on the top half. Only the 10 on the bottom.

And thanks! I think I'm really coming into my own style with black and whites [emoji106]

Most reactions

Back