The sunset/sunrise thread

joemc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sunset and sunrise is gods gift to photographers... I am sure there were ones before this one.... But we all love showing them off :mrgreen:

This is a thread to show off those beauties....Please include the camera and the lens in your post.

I will start with a few of my own:thumbup:

These were all taken with the Nikon D300 and the Nikkor 17-55 F/2.8 lens!

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
#2,6,7 are my favorite because I am such a freak for leading lines, I have no idea why.

I love all the rich reds and oranges you have; what beach were these taken at and how much PP was used?

Thanks for the comments..... 1,3,& 5 are HDR... the others are almost straight out of the camera...I do use a ton of filters in my work though?

Cheers, joe

Amazing shots, 3 is my favorite, 7 is a close second.

Here are a few I took on my trip to Maui

#1 Top of Haleakala crater. With a silhouette of the science ovservatory. I like the flare in this one. There is no P.P. exept for cropping.
4034308410_9fb6cc5da3_o.jpg

#2 On top of the crater still, with a silhouette of some random person, enjoying the veiw.
4049269942_0770562f83_o.jpg

#3 This is a 15sec exposure, about 45m after sunset. Kihei is on the left, Kahului is in the middle and Paia is on the right
4034308316_9050c5da4a_o.jpg

#4 This was at the Luau, they were testing the water fountain the dancer, dances in front of. I just happened to be near it at the time.
4034410156_b09281e484_o.jpg

Last edited:
Fossil Creek Reservoir near Loveland, Colorado

Pentax *istDL and kit lens
Focal Length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm...
Exposure Time: 0.033 s (1/30)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO Equiv.: 200

IMGP4657-1.jpg

Great shots.... Moodyville..I love that last one

ccd333... Great colors and exposure.
Cheers, joe

I am originally from Ft. Lauderdale too...

Can I vote for ALL of them? Don't think there is a photo in this entire thread that I don't like.

Those later shots of Maui before sunrise, looking down at the clouds is breathtaking, but the last time I went to Maui in 1985, digital photography did not exist to my knowledge.

But I DID find the "Robin Masters" estate on Hawaii (nowhere near Diamonhead like they portray it to be). Reached up over the brick wall, used my Olympus OM1 / Winder1 and took a couple of rolls of film worth of photos.

Estate, my arse - when film was processed all I saw was an old rusting out car sitting on blocks, old wheels and tires scattered around, with all kinds of other old rusted metal stuff like grilles and lawn furniture piled up. Looked more like a trailer park than it did the Robin Masters estate.

But Hawaii is a wonderful place to take photos.

Always a small world it seems. I used to live not far from Ft. Lauderdale.....Delray Beach.

Let's keep this going......A few from a reservoir not far from my home:

DSC00134.jpg

WaterValleySunrise.jpg

P1020936.jpg

IMGP2498-2.jpg

All shot with a 40d

The Vegas Skyline was with a 70-200 2.8L IS

The mountain sunsets were with a 16-35 2.8L

Most reactions

Back