The texture of Angus's face

Without reading any of the previous comments, may I include mine? Excellent shot, but I would add one small caveat. It's the left eye catch light. I would remove the reflection. Otherwise, spot on.

Thanks for sharing.

I like the moving to the left side so that some of of that dead space is gone, but the exposure seems under exposed and soft now. I much prefer the original exposure.
I'm on the laptop and still don't see it Joel :(
Without reading any of the previous comments, may I include mine? Excellent shot, but I would add one small caveat. It's the left eye catch light. I would remove the reflection. Otherwise, spot on.

Thanks for sharing.
Your comments are always welcome Kundalini :) Thanks. I saw that catch light in his left eye but I'm only using my Canon software to edit right now (waiting on computer parts... long story lol) and I decided to not even try to take it out.

It will be a good one to practice on when I do get to start using Lightroom though :) I'm curious to see if it changes the image at all.. somehow I suspect it potentially will have an effect on the depth we perceive?

Beautiful shot. I love the light and the contemplation in his face. Nothing can quite create that look of intense concentration like a cat, and you caught it very well.

Thanks Scott :)

Nice shot! I HAD TYPED OUT a really lengthy C&C on this...and then I clicked accidentally, and LOST IT ALL! ACK!!!!!!!! Dang it!!! Anway,sigh, I like the shot. I had a big,long description, but my suggestion is this, in a nutshell: love the low-key, but thing it needs to be re-cropped a bit, with less top space, maybe a bit more bottom space, and maybe a little off the left hand side. The picture's fundamentally sound, but the cat's EXACT positioning within the frame is not quite right for absolutely MAXIMUM impact...

(New progressive lenses making typing a royal "snitch" for me...")

Thank you Derrel! I'm sorry you lost the C&C, that is so frustrating after investing your time, I thank you for doing it even if I didn't get to see it all.

I applied your suggestions on the crop as best I could with what I had, it was shot in portrait and relatively tight. What an amazing difference!! ... when I flip back and forth between the two on Flickr I see the "tension" in him immediately in the second crop.

Because I see such a difference between the two I still like the original crop, it has a more peaceful feel to it for me whereas the second conveys his attention on the birds MUCH better :)

Before

After

YES!!! The second crop you did was almost exactly what I had envisioned!!!

Of course, you know the "back story"...so you might very well rightly prefer the original crop. Me, I'm just looking at Angus as a cat, in a photo, of a cat...

It's shocking sometimes how just a little bit of a difference in the positioning of a subject within the frame changes the "vibe" so,so significantly. This is one of those examples. I do like the added space on the right hand side--more of the traditional "space to look into".

Very well focused, lit, and exposed. I'm jealous. My cats, when they see the shiny camera lens, immediately come to investigate. So if your cat is anything like mine, you must have had the patience of Job to get that shot. I love the low key and the way the three elements (eyes, ears, nose) stand out. Very elegant. Hopefully, you'll get that printed and mounted. Also, I see what Derrel is talking about - that would make it a more "classic" portrait. However the original image has damn good bones to start with.

Thanks Frequency :)

Derrel said:
YES!!! The second crop you did was almost exactly what I had envisioned!!!

Of course, you know the "back story"...so you might very well rightly prefer the original crop. Me, I'm just looking at Angus as a cat, in a photo, of a cat...

It's shocking sometimes how just a little bit of a difference in the positioning of a subject within the frame changes the "vibe" so,so significantly. This is one of those examples. I do like the added space on the right hand side--more of the traditional "space to look into".

Good morning Derrel :)

I actually prefer your crop for this image but still enjoy mine for the different energy it conveys :)

Thanks for taking the time to show me what you saw that I missed and giving me another piece of this great puzzle!

Thanks Pgriz :) Ah yes the classic kitty OOF because he was walking nose first at the camera ... know that shot well! lol This time around what worked... a wall of windows with birds on the other side ;)

Fantastic shot! As someone else said - you should have this mounted and framed. Nicely done.

<snip> This time around what worked... a wall of windows with birds on the other side ;)

Gotcha. (Checks the windows to see which ones have convenient bird places. Nope. None. :( ) Might have to put a bird-feeder in front of one of the windows... Or maybe I can fool the cats with the laser pointer... Hmmm... You've given me some ideas. Thanks!

Thanks Overread, Bazooka let me know in his post :) ... still makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back