The thing on the trail

Actor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's on the right just past the second log. What is it?

Thing.JPG

Theodore Roosevelt National Park, July 2008.

Last edited:
I'd say a turtle as well.

First choice turtle, second choice armadillo (not quite the right environment). Third choice alien life form. Are we going to get the answer?

turtle....? my first thought.

First choice turtle, second choice armadillo (not quite the right environment). Third choice alien life form. Are we going to get the answer?
I'm not absolutely certain I know the answer.

I've shown this picture to a lot of people. Turtle seems to be the most popular answer. The second most popular answer is animal dung.

My own answer is rattlesnake. I got as close as I dared, zoomed in as much as I could, took the shot and retreated. No one I've shown it to has thought it was a snake.

Oh, you mean a coiled up snake. I see how that could be. But there is not enough detail. Next time, grow a pair and get closer! :lol: After all, losing your life for a good photo is part of your duty as a photographer...

Oh come on now, snakes can only strike half the distance of their body length - so even some of the biggest ones you can get within 10 feet :lol:

If that is a snake, there's a chance you walked right by others that were much closer that you didn't even see ;)

Oh, you mean a coiled up snake. I see how that could be. But there is not enough detail. Next time, grow a pair and get closer! :lol: After all, losing your life for a good photo is part of your duty as a photographer...
Dying by rattlesnake bite is a fate I would not wish upon my worst enemy. The flesh falls off your bones, your nervous system goes into hyper drive and they have to tie you down. Anti-venom spoils so quickly that the anti-venom they treat you with probably is manufactured after you get bitten, has to be flown in and you probably won't get any for 24 hours.

If that is a snake, there's a chance you walked right by others that were much closer that you didn't even see ;)
A thought that was with me every step back to the trail head. We tried to keep to the middle of the path.

There was a big sign at the trail head that said "Rattlesnakes in area" so I was probably predisposed to think it was a snake. Then again, I had a 3-D view. :greenpbl:

Yeah, turtle or snake, since I'm pretty sure beavers don't shed their tails. I would have watched or even crept forward... maybe to toss a pebble near to it for a reaction. But like someone said, where there is one rattlesnake, there the possibility of more. Especially if that one is the momma.

And while getting sick/dying by rattlesnake bite is painful, a lot of adults survive it. While I used to snake hunt some in my college years, feared the small and lethal copperhead much more.

I'm thinking snake.
Looks like it was heading out into the open, but you came along and scared it back into the brush.

This is a shot of one we saw in Bosque a year and a half ago.
It was about a 5 footer, and didn't like being photographed.
I had on a 18-200mm lens, and was far enough back that I was in no danger.

386694869_ooZXY-L.jpg

Looks like a rock or a root. Not a turtle or a snake. I don't understand why you couldn't get close enough to see. Did you turn around and quit the hike because of that?

Most reactions

Back