The view from my bedroom

To your second set of shots. The first one as you probably knows seems over exposed since you can barely see the town. The second the sky looks green to me. That being said I happen to like both of them, but it seems that nobody around here has the taste that I do lol. It's a great view, almost looks like a painting.

Alpha, I couldn't see your first pics either, but I am going to warn you, you better have thick skin to get your stuff C&C'd around here. My first post (not long ago) I took what I thought were my 5 best and they got ripped to shreds lol. But if you listen to what people are saying, which sounds like flaming, you will learn alot :D

Don't tell me you are not familiar with the Rabbit of Caerbannog... It dwells in The lost cave.

(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Run away!! Run away!! Hahaha I love Monty Python!

OP - your photos are now visible, so whatever you just did worked :)
Nice view from your window! I actually like the "before" better than the edits you did, though (sorry to say).

ETA I was referring to your second set of photos as well. The first pic in your OP is nice.

Last edited:
To your second set of shots. The first one as you probably knows seems over exposed since you can barely see the town. The second the sky looks green to me. That being said I happen to like both of them, but it seems that nobody around here has the taste that I do lol. It's a great view, almost looks like a painting.

Thanks H4X1MA, I'm happy to see somebody can at least actually see the picture, I've just had another play with this in Lightroom and come up with this.

Bedroom_view_4.jpg

Don't tell me you are not familiar with the Rabbit of Caerbannog... It dwells in The lost cave.

(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Run away!! Run away!! Hahaha I love Monty Python!

OP - your photos are now visible, so whatever you just did worked :)
Nice view from your window! I actually like the "before" better than the edits you did, though (sorry to say).

ETA I was referring to your second set of photos as well. The first pic in your OP is nice.

Thank god for that.

Thanks for the comments as well.
good.gif

By the way, what do you think of this edit?

Bedroom_view_4.jpg

I'd love some feedback, be it positive or negative.

For those who haven't read the whole thread, here is the original and my first stab at using Lightroom.

Bedroom_view_3.jpg

Bedroom_view_2.jpg

Personally my latest effort is the best, what does the rest of the community think?

Last edited:
Hey,

Ok, shoot in manual for one. Look up the exposure triangle; shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Now use all 3 of those things to create a "correct" exposure. (look in the view finder and the "correct" exposure will be in the middle). Try that and see what happens. Then try it underexposed a little.

Always shoot in manual, you'll learn a lot.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

EDIT: Don't bother with any editing program until you learn how to properly utilize your camera. I never edit my photos, I don't find a need too. I'd much rather work on my camera skills first.

So far I like the town in "2nd attempt" but the sky & distant hills in "before." Masking them off would help, IMO.

Hey,

Ok, shoot in manual for one. Look up the exposure triangle; shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Now use all 3 of those things to create a "correct" exposure. (look in the view finder and the "correct" exposure will be in the middle). Try that and see what happens. Then try it underexposed a little.

EDIT: Don't bother with any editing program until you learn how to properly utilize your camera. I never edit my photos, I don't find a need too. I'd much rather work on my camera skills first.

Thanks for the advise, learning how to utilise my camera is high up on my list of priorities, but I've only owned my A500 for 1 week so I am a total noob, I've been looking for info on how to get the best from my camera and have purchased a couple of books from Ebay, but I'm still waiting for them to arrive. If you know of any good online articles I could read, I would be really interested. I don't the financial status of others on here, but £350 for the camera (Ex display model) was a major investment for me, so far I've spent around £60 on trivial accessories, bag, lens hood, lens caps, ect, so I am looking to get the most out of my purchases.

Up to now, the best camera I've owned was a Sony Cybershot DSC-W210, so buying an A500 is a real step up for me. One of the reasons I signed up to this site was to learn from those in the know. Having read other threads on here the Sony DSLR's are not considered as the best, but that is what I now own, so I would like to get the most I can out of it.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

It's a shame that this thread got more attention when nobody could see the images lol.
lol.gif

If anybody would like to play with the original AWR file, I've zipped it up and uploaded it to Mediafire. I'd love to see what the more experienced could do with this image.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f6x8uc2qqjbcss3

Last edited:
from the standpoint of post processing, I absolutely hate the "after" shot. it looks fake fake fake. the "2nd attempt" is better, but something about the skyline/mountains in the back (which is where my eye lands first on the photo) doesn't look right, but I'm not exactly sure why.

But what do I know, I'm just a noob myself.

Hey,

Thanks for the advise, learning how to utilise my camera is high up on my list of priorities, but I've only owned my A500 for 1 week so I am a total noob, I've been looking for info on how to get the best from my camera and have purchased a couple of books from Ebay, but I'm still waiting for them to arrive. If you know of any good online articles I could read, I would be really interested. I don't the financial status of others on here, but £350 for the camera (Ex display model) was a major investment for me, so far I've spent around £60 on trivial accessories, bag, lens hood, lens caps, ect, so I am looking to get the most out of my purchases.

Up to now, the best camera I've owned was a Sony Cybershot DSC-W210, so buying an A500 is a real step up for me. One of the reasons I signed up to this site was to learn from those in the know. Having read other threads on here the Sony DSLR's are not considered as the best, but that is what I now own, so I would like to get the most I can out of it.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

It's a shame that this thread got more attention when nobody could see the images lol.
lol.gif

Don't worry about your gear, learn how to use it first and then upgrade. I went out and bought a 60D with the lenses and equipment you see below as my first camera/gear because I knew what I wanted, because I did the research. Everyone's budget is different. Keep within your budget.

Read the stickies. Look into the Exposure Triangle (try google), go to your local library and read up!

Here I'll PM you.

OP, how about this? I took the contrast down some and added a little haze. I was going for a nostalgic feel.

Bedroom_view_5 by redessa, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back