The "What did you get for Christmas" Photography thread

An unexpected gift from my daughter's young man - an old book on black and white photography by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz. Published in 1997, it is entirely film based, but I do 50/50 film/digital so that is no issue for me!

The book is as excellent as you should expect from those authors.

97 old? o my, counting decades on 2 hands al

Considering I didn't get myself anything for my birthday or Christmas, should I buy the Nikkor 28mm 1.8G?! Is it OK to splurge on oneself?

Didn't get anythi..... no wait that's a half lie - I did get a lens cloth from work!
Otherwise my gifts this year were mostly books to read and chocolates to eat plus a few bits of clothing. Sadly what I want in cameras is far too expensive for family to afford for gifts (and too expensive for me to get too).

Considering I didn't get myself anything for my birthday or Christmas, should I buy the Nikkor 28mm 1.8G?! Is it OK to splurge on oneself?

Once you've spent everything you can/need to on others anything left over is fine to spend on yourself - indeed its advisable to do so before the new-year disasters kick in that will inevitably drain away your savings for another year ;)

Didn't get anythi..... no wait that's a half lie - I did get a lens cloth from work!
Otherwise my gifts this year were mostly books to read and chocolates to eat plus a few bits of clothing. Sadly what I want in cameras is far too expensive for family to afford for gifts (and too expensive for me to get too).

Once you've spent everything you can/need to on others anything left over is fine to spend on yourself - indeed its advisable to do so before the new-year disasters kick in that will inevitably drain away your savings for another year ;)

The only money I have is gift money!

Okay, I am over my exhaustion. My much much better half gifted me a book on Lost Los Angeles, photographs of places in Los Angeles that aren't there anymore. A la, photos of the Red Cars, the original Hollywood Bowl, Pacific Ocean Park, et al.

And I gifted myself a Fuji 35mm F/2 lens and a grip for the XP2.

View attachment 132089 I have to admit I was skeptical of this product but now I am completely in love with it!

Apple Watch 2.

Not only does it show me a different photo of baby girl every time I raise my arm, it can also act as a shutter release and remote display for the iPhone camera and who know what else this thing can do!
I have an iWatch. At first I thought it was merely a link to the iPhone, which is okay, but not all that ... necessary. But it does much more. It does so much and is so useful, that I gave iWatches to my daughters and wife.

Last edited:
I used some cash that I got for Christmas to get a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens. Now, I just need to get busy practicing with it to up my portrait game. ;)

Probably not, you will buy it, then never use it, and then sell it on here for a loss...:bouncingsmileys:

Okay, I am over my exhaustion. My much much better half gifted me a book on Lost Los Angeles, photographs of places in Los Angeles that aren't there anymore. A la, photos of the Red Cars, the original Hollywood Bowl, Pacific Ocean Park, et al.

With my Amazon money (still have $120 left), I bought 100ft roll film, spooler, some Ektar 120, some batteries, and the following books....

John Hedgecoe; photographing people
John Hedgecoe; Landscape photography
Henry Moore; edited by John Hedgecoe
Looking for the masters in Ricardo's golden shoes
Mutitude, Solitude; The photographs of Dave Heath
Henri Cartier-Bresson: The decisive moment

I used some cash that I got for Christmas to get a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens. Now, I just need to get busy practicing with it to up my portrait game. ;)

Looking forward to your shots in this area. Your sports shots are fantastic!

With my Amazon money (still have $120 left), I bought 100ft roll film, spooler, some Ektar 120, some batteries, and the following books....

I came within a gnat's hair of getting you a bulk loader. But nobody had any in spock of what kind I wanted to gift you.

I came within a gnat's hair of getting you a bulk loader. But nobody had any in spock of what kind I wanted to gift you.

Well, that coffee and grinder are pretty flippin awesome. Man that coffee pressed well. My wife loves the smell of it too.

I used to get my beans at Costco. You get a lot of cluck for the buck of Don Francisco Colombian Supremo. (I wasn't sure if you had a grinder. The hand grinder is good for the days when you lose power.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back