The "What You Had For Dinner" thread. :D

Hmm let's see, I eat:

pork tongue
pigs feet
pork tripe
pigs ear
etc.
(just of piggys)
I haven't tried pigs heart or brain but I have beef heart and buffalo heart (even raw), and etc.

I think of it like, if the animal is going to give it's life for me I had better not dismiss any part of that sacrifice. The only thing I can think of is that you know some really weird Americans. Maybe they're all on some strange drugs in the city you're in. I lived in California, Utah, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin and never heard of such a thing except from the occasional high-school vegan. <shrug> And they're usually laughed at.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is that you know some really weird Americans. Maybe they're all on some strange drugs in the city you're in. I lived in California, Utah, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin and never heard of such a thing except from the occasional high-school vegan. <shrug> And they're usually laughed at.

I tend to agree with Bifurcator. My family is from East Texas, and trust me, they will eat anything that moves. Growing up, I have had rabbit, squirrel, rattlesnake, crawfish (and I do suck the heads), and just about every part of a cow/pig/chicken/deer....although I have to admit, I am not fond of organ meat.

I think most people who were raised in a city balk at new/different foods because all they have ever had is the standard cuts they can get at the grocery store. And if they saw how the meat got to the store (gutting and cleaning), they would probably become vegitarians. That is why chain restaurants are so popular, they have familiar foods.

But there is a significant portion of the population that enjoys and actually seeks out new and different foods. I try not to ask what it is until I've tried it so I don't have any prejudices about it.

Trust me, Americans are picky eaters. I work in the food biz, its pretty sad what people do. I'm always very clear about it since it bothers me seeing it ALL THE TIME. We want are food changed so we don't know what it is, if we know what it is, we don't want it because its too... gross.

Try serving pork belly to an American, they'll freak out and say "that's sick!", yet they'll eat 20lbs a year of bacon. Try serving an American the random "cheap" parts of an animal, it will NEVER happen, however, if you grind it up and put it in a hotdog, sausage, or scrapple, it will get eaten with out question. If you do question it, they'll say, "now I can't eat it"

I don't mean to be rude, but I'll bet you are one of those people who watch shows like this [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp4iI59BfpQ[/ame] and believe that this is how all/most Americans are. It's kind of ironic, a show for stupid people, making fun of stupid people! :er:
I think though that us Americans grow up eating hot dogs, bacon, and all that stuff and don't think anything of it, because we grew up eating it. Now if for some reason we didn't eat hot dogs over here, and went to another country and saw them, a lot of Americans would go "EWW! That's discusting!"..And that's because they wouldn't be comfortable eating that stuff they aren't used to. I'm pretty sure if most American families ate cow tounges all the time, we wouldn't think cow tounges would be gross!

I don't mean to be rude, but I'll bet you are one of those people who watch shows like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp4iI59BfpQ and believe that this is how all/most Americans are. It's kind of ironic, a show for stupid people, making fun of stupid people! :er:
I think though that us Americans grow up eating hot dogs, bacon, and all that stuff and don't think anything of it, because we grew up eating it. Now if for some reason we didn't eat hot dogs over here, and went to another country and saw them, a lot of Americans would go "EWW! That's discusting!"..And that's because they wouldn't be comfortable eating that stuff they aren't used to. I'm pretty sure if most American families ate cow tounges all the time, we wouldn't think cow tounges would be gross!

Nah, I hate those shows, lets ask 200 people questions and only show the answers of the people who get nervous and can't even answer their own name on camera...

Its weird, living in Maryland, people here will eat crabs with no issue, as with shrimp, yet the idea of pork belly freaks them out, again I work in the food business, I also run a website, and take lots of food related pictures for fun =)

For some reason this picture of myself freaks people out, its not like they've never seen a whole duck before...

1038d1185139908-balut-dsc03425.jpg

=)

Don't get me wrong, I know a good bit of old timers who grew up in the depression, they ate anything and everything. It just seems that people at least around the city areas are big pansays when it comes to food.

I have a few friends who will not eat any meat that touches a bone, if its removed from the bone before they see the meat, it's ok, but if they see the bone, they cannot eat it.

Then there's my coworker, if I say "do you know how they make that" to any thing shes eating that has meat in it, she will stop eating it and throw it away, she CANNOT eat it if I say those simple words. its fun lol.

One of the things we serve where I work is hamburgers, I'd say around 80% of people who order them ask for them extra well done.

sigh.

why oh why?

I was the first western person my GFs family ever met, who was able to sit down with them and eat what they were eating. I still remember her moms face the first time we ate together, she couldn't stop watching me eat. total disbelief a white boy could eat what they were eating. I didn't even ask what anything was, just put it in front of me, and I'll put it in my mouth. If it taste good great, if not, ohwell I at least tried it.

1133d1200274577-caramel-pork-belly-dsc05302.jpg

Caramel pork belly FTW! such a great dish! I love taking it to work, no one goes near it.

I do think southern people are a bit more open to food ideas, from frog legs, gator, and crayfish. Its a local thing you grew up with so it makes the food good.

I'll still stand by what I said before, America has more picky eaters in it then anywhere else.

I'm pretty sure if most American families ate cow tounges all the time, we wouldn't think cow tounges would be gross!
I remember eating my first cow tounge when I was around 10 or so. Nothing says a good taco like a taco de lengua. I grew up about 20 minutes from DC, still not sure why it is I'm willing to eat anything. Other people in this area sure think otherwise.

Looks like another imaginary camera: ;)
Subway
turkey,lettuce,cheese
2 chocolatechip m&M cookies

Try serving pork belly to an American, they'll freak out and say "that's sick

mmmmmmmmmm pork belly... when cooked right that stuff is amazing. I would probably agree that americans are EXTREMLY picky eaters. I love to cook but it can be a royal PITA cooking for more than 2 or 3 people unless you just want to make plain everyday stuff. Because if you want to get even remotly creative or something out of the ordinary there will be atleast one person that wont it. Most people I know wouldn't consider eating lamb or veal. I do think alot of this has to do with class and income. This is just typicaly and far from true all the time but, IMHO people of higher class and higher income are raised on the more extravagant food and it is normal to them but to people not raised on that they find these things as different and what is different is weird and what is weird is gross.

BTW where in MD are you jeffie? Im in Delaware.

mmmmmmmmmm pork belly... when cooked right that stuff is amazing. I would probably agree that americans are EXTREMLY picky eaters. I love to cook but it can be a royal PITA cooking for more than 2 or 3 people unless you just want to make plain everyday stuff. Because if you want to get even remotly creative or something out of the ordinary there will be atleast one person that wont it. Most people I know wouldn't consider eating lamb or veal. I do think alot of this has to do with class and income. This is just typicaly and far from true all the time but, IMHO people of higher class and higher income are raised on the more extravagant food and it is normal to them but to people not raised on that they find these things as different and what is different is weird and what is weird is gross.

BTW where in MD are you jeffie? Im in Delaware.

Anne Arundel county about 20 minutes from the bay bridge.

Yep, pork belly rocks!

Last edited:
I had some for dinner tonight actually! Wonderful! Image coming right up!

hehe today was my first food shoot and i got to eat this afterwards!

IMG_0344e.jpg

Nice photo! Looks yummy too! :thumbup:

Post some up Kalem! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back