They're messing up my rose bush!

MystrE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For a bird that supposed to be so lightweight, hummingbirds are bending over the new buds on my rose bush. How I am going to give a straight stem rose to my wife when I get in trouble?

DSC_3814.jpg

What are those strange bugs with their behinds attached together and I wonder if they're edible? My answer to him was: they're love bugs and yes, I wish you would eat as many as you can. The love bug was just out of the field of view but trust me, they're all over the place.
DSC_3815.jpg

Gorgeous images, and terrific lighting to really show off the young male's emerging throat colors!

As for the bent rose, I believe that second hummer is actually looking at you and saying, "just stay out of trouble, mister and then you won't need this rose!" :D

Last edited:
Now i know where my hummingbirds went :(

But glad to see you are putting them to such good use :icon_thumleft:

Thank you, I appreciate the compliments! I've had a lot of fun this summer trying to learn how to photograph these birds. Soon, they will migrate from the area but I've been encouraged by a local hummingbird expert to leave a feeder up though the fall and winter for any hummers that decide to stay behind. People in these parts have been seeing more and more winter hummers the last few years.

Let me hop over to the very end of this bud so I can bend it over all the way...

DSC_3809.jpg

Last edited:
Now he's bending the same bud over the other way. It will be interesting to see where he decides to guard "his" feeder when "his" bud breaks off the bush!

DSC_3874.jpg

He got bowed up while taking this photo. Maybe he's mad at me for disturbing him while he guards "his" feeder.
DSC_3881.jpg

I'm struggling a bit with exposure on photos like these. On the last 2 photos, the sun was ducking behind clouds and while out was shining directly upon one side of the birds. I'm not quite sure how to adjust for that with my Nikon D5100. I use IPhoto and sometimes Photoshop Elements 12 (I'm a newbie with Photoshop).

Most reactions

Back