What's new

Think Thank Retrospective 20 Bag

waynegz1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
1
Location
San Antonio, TX
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got home this evening, and FedEx had left me 2 gifts. 1 box for my TT and the other was my Think Tank Bag.

I just ripped open the box, and had moved all my gear over to it. So far I love this thing. Can't wait to go on location and shoot out of it.

Shoulder strap seems thick enough to tow a darn truck with. More than enough padding, room, and pockets for all my gear. I just cannot figure out where to store my AA battery charger. Since I ordered it through froknowphoto.com, Think Tank sent me a free bag, a Cable Management 20. This is now the new home of my CyberSyncs, misc cables, and batteries.

Cheers to Think Tank for making such an awesome product.
 
Its a seriously good bag, I love my Retrospective 30!
 
What would the Retrospective 30 carry? Im looking for a messenger-style bag that will hold my 80-200/2.8D, 105/2.8 Macro, 18-50/2.8, and 10-20/4-5.6 or 11-16/2.8 with D300s Gripped. I know Im already pushing it..but itd be great if it could hold my SB-600 as well. :mrgreen:

Is such a beast alive and well out there?
mark
 
I put a -

70-200 Nikon VR2 F/2.8 (Hood reversed)
50mm f/1.4
D700 - Gripped
D5000 Nikon
TC x2 III
Canon 40D
100mm f/2.8 macro
Pixel Pocket Rocket (Which Think Tank sent me for free!)

Puts a real strain on your shoulder in long walks, but its not to bad really. The bag holds everything I need and I could fit more in there if I really wanted.
 
What would the Retrospective 30 carry? Im looking for a messenger-style bag that will hold my 80-200/2.8D, 105/2.8 Macro, 18-50/2.8, and 10-20/4-5.6 or 11-16/2.8 with D300s Gripped. I know Im already pushing it..but itd be great if it could hold my SB-600 as well. :mrgreen:

Is such a beast alive and well out there?
mark

you should be able to fit a SB-600 on the side, they also sell what they call a "lightning fast" case. Which is made to hold flashes, you can just hook it to the side of the bag and BOOM!

how do you like your 80-200 2.8? I've been debating about getting that here locally or a 70-200 VR I.
 
I love my 80-200/2.8D. It is an amazingly sharp lens..well constructed. Wonderful lens, really. Very versatile. Anything specific you want a review on?

Mark
 
Well I am in between that and a used 70-200 but the price difference kills me. I primarily shoot weddings, and wanted to know if the VR really would make a difference. From what I heard, VR doesn't make a difference unless I'm shooting something still.

What are your thoughts?
 
Ah...FroKnows. I love Jared. Had a great interview with him on Skype
 
Everytime I try to Skype Jared, he never picks up. Yet again I get out of work at 9:00 pm CST, soI'll try again tomorrow though.
 
I got lucky... he liked one of my photos from his flickr group, so he skyped me lol.
Although we did put the interview off a few times as he was busy hehe
 
I shot a wedding with my 80-200/2.8. I would have killed to have the VR. If youre not using a flash, the VR will be a lifesaver. If you are using the flash, there is no need for the VR. I used the flash for the most part..so no need for the VR and my photos turned out good.

Mark
 
excuse my ignorance, but why without a flash VR is needed and the other way around?
 
flash will freeze motion more at lower shutter speeds.
VR will help steady the lens at lower shutter speeds
 
Thanks. I haven't really owned a VR lens, so I am still learning about it.

So if I shoot primarily at higher speeds VR really isn't an issue?
 
If you are shooting faster than the standard focal lenght requires, you are good to avoid camera shake without VR.

Now there are a few variants of this, and it is very much dependant on your shooting style and stability of your hands, but to avoid camera shake, make sure your shutter speed is 1/max focal length of your lens.

So if you are shooting an 80-200, your shutter should be 1/200 or faster to avoid camera shake.

Some people say that if you have a crop sensor, then its 1/max FL * crop factor. So 1/200*1.5 = 1/300 shutter

Some people say that its not your lens max but the focal length you are shooting with. So an 80-200 at 80 would be 1/80 and the same lens at 200 would be 1/200.

So whatever, its just a guide.

They say VR to keep the camera steady for 2-3 stops. So lets say YOUR slowest possible shutter for hand holding lens x is 1/100. The VR is said to help you shoot at 1/25 or 1/10 and get the same results as shooting at 1/100.

Man, my brain is fried, does this make sense?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom