Thinking about buying an external flash.....

JBaca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have a T1i. What do you guys think of the YONGNUO YN-565 EX ETTL? Does anyone own one?

They are excellent flashes. I own a Yongnuo and love it! They are great for all photographers. And for $159, you can not beat that. I have read on someone's blog that this is comparable to Canon's flashes. I know its the same size as the 580ex.

Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have read on someone's blog that this is comparable to Canon's flashes. I know its the same size as the 580ex.
Yes indeed - I agree. I have two of the Canon 580EXII flashes as well, and they are very much in the same league. I've had my Canons for years, and the YN's for a couple months.

Here's a very comprehensive write-up/review of the YNs: Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash Review | Speedlights.net

Just make sure you are learning exposure without throwing flash in at the same time. Flash changes the rules and how things work and will make the journey much harder on you.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Hey Buckster or anyone else that might know does this flash work off camera in HSS mode or Rear Curtain sync mode while off the camera on a stand?

Damn - it looks just like the 580EX (for the most part)... Same GN too...

I think I'm going to buy a couple of them now, lol.

Will they work as a slave using a 580EX as the master?

Damn - it looks just like the 580EX (for the most part)... Same GN too...

I think I'm going to buy a couple of them now, lol.

Will they work as a slave using a 580EX as the master?
I just tested it (with a 580EXII) to find out, and it worked just fine.

Sweet. I'm definitely buying a couple now...

Hey Buckster or anyone else that might know does this flash work off camera in HSS mode or Rear Curtain sync mode while off the camera on a stand?
Definitely on the rear curtain sync. On the HSS, there's a setting for "Stroboscopic Flash" that appears to be the answer to Canon's HSS, though it has the ability to set the number of flashes and frequency, in addition to the power. So it might take some testing to figure out the settings to use.

Definitely on the rear curtain sync. On the HSS, there's a setting for "Stroboscopic Flash" that appears to be the answer to Canon's HSS, though it has the ability to set the number of flashes and frequency, in addition to the power. So it might take some testing to figure out the settings to use.
I don't think that's the same. The 580EX II has that too, and it is completely separate from HSS...

I don't think that's the same. The 580EX II has that too, and it is completely separate from HSS...
You're probably right.

They DID steal Canon's manual penguin though, while they were grabbing everything else! :lol: Canon manual on the left, YN on the right:

PenguinTheft.jpg

:lol:

Yes i have been doing some research and it fires off as a slave but it will not be a master. You can also fire it off using the transmitter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back