Thinking about starting up professionally

melxclarke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but not really new to photography as an artform. I studied some photography at college as part of my multimedia and graphic design degree years ago and have been passionate about it as a hobby since. I have invested in a good camera in recent years to try and learn more of the basics and am thinking of going on a course to learn the technicals.

I have had my images used by a swiss rock band for their album artwork which was distributed worldwide and since then I have been encouraged to study more and set up selling prints, but you know when your family and people who love you encourage you think you're great. I'd appreciate some feedback from photographers who don't know me, as I think my pictures I've always taken and edited just for me, how I see the world in my own unique way and never thought they had commercial value at all.

I have a small selection of my pictures online at melanie clarke photgraphy

Many thanks to everyone who takes the time to check it out :)

Jumping the gun with the popcorn, I think.

MXC, you have some very nice images on your website.

Jumping the gun with the popcorn, I think.

With this crowd?

First post out of the gate, in the beginners forum, linking to a website without posting images, and talking about going pro is almost a 100% chance for a flame fest regardless of the quality of the images. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if I was. I wasn't saying anything about the OP at all......... just setting up to watch the parade.

And yes, they are good images.

Last edited:
But isn't that the difference? Somebody has the passions and images that show real promise, as opposed to the KarrisaBest troll threads?

But isn't that the difference? Somebody has the passions and images that show real promise, as opposed to the KarrisaBest troll threads?

So when you do harp on people about "proper" forum procedures, it's just to add insult to injury, and not because it really matters? lol...nice.

i love this "If Guns are responsible for murder, then Pencils are responsible for spelling errors." - unknown

Thanks for the link to the calculator. I have ran my own design business for 4 years, but I wrapped it up about 8 months ago. It was a design business from the ground up with all my own funding and I learned a lot about business in this time. I know this will be a competative market and the business structure will be different but I'm sure a lot of the skills I learned will be transferable.

I have no idea what the popcorn comment is about, if it's intended to be funny I think it's rude when I'm a new poster looking for genuine advice and a community I can join to further my understanding in something I'm genuinely passionate about. Maybe I misunderstood but if I've posted in the wrong place I'd rather be told in a respectful and helpful manner.

Thank you very much to those who said my images had promise, I really appreciate your feedback, positive or constructive criticism. Oh and apologies if I do make spelling mistakes I am dyslexic but I do try! :)

You didn't specify as to what kind of photography you'd be focusing on. If you were thinking about all your work then I would suggest learning more about exposure and iso settings, some of your portraits looks pretty blown out and some look out of focus. That being said however, you do indeed have some great landscape shots. Good photos, good portfolio, i'd say you're well on your way.

I have had my images used by a swiss rock band for their album artwork

Musicians are artists and album covers tend to be artsier than regular commercial photography. You can get away with images in the music world that would not be acceptable in the commercial world, especially with smaller, lesser known musicians.

Your photos show some potential (I guess due to your schooling) but you still have quite a bit to learn. The music business is very tough to get into, it is very much about who you know. Photography as art is not a business except for a very few lucky ones. For most it is a non-profit situation. Commercial photo that actually gives you a nice living requires a fairly large investment in gear, time to develop the clientele (like any other business) and, knowing people in the right places is also a major plus.

Can you sell? Unless you are lucky enough to find a young person who wants to get into being a rep and who has contacts, you are going to spend more time selling than you will doing photography at first.

Not that I want you to abandon the idea, just trying to make sure you know what you're getting into. Some things are harder to do when you have a family to support but when you are young and can live on just a little bit of money, that's the time to try.

So when you do harp on people about "proper" forum procedures, it's just to add insult to injury, and not because it really matters? lol...nice.

I remember you!

You have some really great shots, I particularly likes these two:
Various/ : melanie clarke photgraphy
Various/ : melanie clarke photgraphy

You definitely have an eye for it so keep going I say. You do have a few technical details that can ironed out with practice and a bit of study, but if you want to go into business then do it. God knows there are probably tens of thousands of 'pros' whose work isn't as good as some of your stuff, and if you know a bit about business then you should do well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back