Thinking of switching from Nikon to Canon

Canon does have great autofocus, Nikon does as well.
I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about in 1995 when everyone dropped Nikon and moved to Canon. They are only just starting to come back.

That's when the fantastic 1Dmk1 came out still use mine for events where we print on site, small very sharp files straight out of the camera
What am i thinking of 2004 when i got mine

Last edited:
I've still got two 1D bodies, basically lens holders now, they have had probably close to 500,000 frames though both of them, and are very tired cameras. I use a mkll as a main body, until the Nikon gear arrives in a couple of weeks.

Me too my main cameras are 1DmkII's and 5D, i think it will be very hard to get hold of Nikons and Canon for a while after what has happened

i think it will be very hard to get hold of Nikons and Canon for a while after what has happened

I don't and I will tell you why, for at-least Nikon.

Nikon's main cameras built in Japan are the D3, D300 and D700. All of which are actually getting on a far old bit. Nikon has been producing these cameras for a good 3 years now and I guarantee with the exception of the D3s, where in some parts of the world its still a struggle to get a hold of one. That the D700 and the D300 are no longer being produced, but instead there replacements are being or beginning to be made. So I can see the release of Nikon's new cameras being pushed back a good few months.

Nikon UK has a surplus of D700 and D300s, as they've been running rebates till about a month a go...

i think it will be very hard to get hold of Nikons and Canon for a while after what has happened

Nikon's main cameras built in Japan are the D3, D300 and D700. All of which are actually getting on a far old bit. Nikon has been producing these cameras for a good 3 years now and I guarantee with the exception of the D3s, where in some parts of the world its still a struggle to get a hold of one. That the D700 and the D300 are no longer being produced, but instead there replacements are being or beginning to be made. So I can see the release of Nikon's new cameras being pushed back a good few months.

Nikon UK has a surplus of D700 and D300s, as they've been running rebates till about a month a go...

After what has happened in Japan i think there is more important things to worry about than getting a new camera released
http://nikonrumors.com/2011/03/13/n...possible-to-resume-operations-in-14-days.aspx

After what has happened in Japan i think there is more important things to worry about than getting a new camera released
Nikon plants in Sendai "virtually impossible to resume operations in 14 days" | Nikon Rumors

For employees I believe this is a true statement. For the corporation this is not a true statement. Disaster or not, Nikon needs to keep a good face to the public. This is for no other reason than stock prices and market share. Nikon will not want to appear, to not be able to supply their customers or potential customers with their product. Just like the car companies going through bankruptcy. They kept putting on a good face and telling you what was comming next. What good was comming. Nikon will be doing the same thing. The need too! While at the same time keeping quiet about repairs to the factory, or employees hardships, etc.

I recently sold my canon 40D and lenses and bought a Nikon D700. Took me about 15 minutes to get to grips with the set-up and functions, then I was good to go.

The real issue here is whether you should sell you Windows PC and get a mac.

Nikon plants in Sendai "virtually impossible to resume operations in 14 days" | Nikon Rumors

For employees I believe this is a true statement. For the corporation this is not a true statement. Disaster or not, Nikon needs to keep a good face to the public. This is for no other reason than stock prices and market share. Nikon will not want to appear, to not be able to supply their customers or potential customers with their product. Just like the car companies going through bankruptcy. They kept putting on a good face and telling you what was comming next. What good was comming. Nikon will be doing the same thing. The need too! While at the same time keeping quiet about repairs to the factory, or employees hardships, etc.

Well in reality they will be lucky if the local infrastructure is up in a month. I think they will be down atleat 2 months if not more while the rebuilding begins. Their only real option would be to shift production somewhere else, which could happen if the can atleast get the tooling out, but that is still a 2 month or better ordeal. Suppling product or in this case new product can be put back for the reasons of the disaster but, suppling replacement parts is another matter because it is one of the things that go towards reliability. I think they may lose many new users but, not on the lower end since those models will be unaffected.

I was reading several blogs from people visiting the Sendai Nikon plant. The cameras are hand assembled by a single person. Takes 80 minutes on average per body. With that known, I say Nikon would not move any production of the current models. Unless the factory is not useable. Which from reports is not the case. In Nikons case the people are very important to operations! There would be a long learning curve to train new assembly people.

It looks worse and worse for the whole region though. Apparently Sony and Panasonic also had large facilities in Sendai. I really feel for the people of Japan. I looked at my companies schedule thinking we be doing some of the charters sending crews and supplies over there. But I didn't see any.

I recently sold my canon 40D and lenses and bought a Nikon D700. Took me about 15 minutes to get to grips with the set-up and functions, then I was good to go..

That's it I'm calling Tony!

Last edited by a moderator:
i know, i know its just that the long stuff is so much cheaper. everyone on tv is using canon. someone convince me!
Yes, Nikon is Junk. What Nikon stuff are you thinking of selling? I'm sure some of us Nikon users can take it off your hands.

Most reactions

Back