THIS is why I hate college

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just went into get advised for what I thought was going to be my last semester of classes. After two years of uber-stressful college classes while in high school and three years of year-round classes at the actual university, I thought I was home free.

No. How stupid I was to believe that it would be that simple. The adviser said that I had twelve hours left. Awesome. That's just one more semester. Oh, but it turns out that there's a prerequisite for one of the classes that was just implemented last semester that the adviser did not bring up last spring when I was registering. So I can only take 9 hours this semester, and then finish my final class in the summer after I've taken the prereq. in the spring. And because of my scholarships, I HAVE to be a full time student, so I can't just take 9 hours and then 3. I have to take an extra elective that doesn't count toward ****, just so I don't have to forfeit the money that the university is hanging over my head. I can't take the prereq. and the final class simultaneously either, even though that is possible with other majors. And the adviser told me there's nothing she can do to override it either, because **** you, that's why.

And I wouldn't really care if I was just someone who feels that as long as they get the degree it's all good. I know several people who have been going for 5 years as an undergrad (those comments make me queasy), but they're also pretty chill about college in general. But I have to keep at least a 3.5 to keep my scholarship and a 3.8 just on personal grounds (plus my parents), and I've succeeded for the most part. But, I haven't had a summer since 2011. Taking classes 4 hours a day five days a week for two months, I thought I was making great time. I was getting it done. But in the end I got pimp slapped from the system anyways.

**** college.

So does anybody else have college horror stories (or glory stories)? I want to hear all kinds of other experiences, because I always hear people saying how college was the greatest time of their life in terms of fun and adventure, but all I've found is stress and the inability to makes lasting friend connections because once I've had to deal with 20-50 people in class and then at work, I really don't feel like hanging out with anyone afterwards.

And feel free to tell me if I'm just complaining too much, because it kind of feels like I am, but at the same time I'm just really angry.

I'm 33 now, and I've taken one semester of college which consisted of exactly two classes - something about learning something something something (some kind of "introductory" to college that is apparently 'required'), and remedial (read as 9th grade) algebra.

I have yet to go back.

I just went into get advised for what I thought was going to be my last semester of classes. After two years of uber-stressful college classes while in high school and three years of year-round classes at the actual university, I thought I was home free.

No. How stupid I was to believe that it would be that simple. The adviser said that I had twelve hours left. Awesome. That's just one more semester. Oh, but it turns out that there's a prerequisite for one of the classes that was just implemented last semester that the adviser did not bring up last spring when I was registering. So I can only take 9 hours this semester, and then finish my final class in the summer after I've taken the prereq. in the spring. And because of my scholarships, I HAVE to be a full time student, so I can't just take 9 hours and then 3. I have to take an extra elective that doesn't count toward ****, just so I don't have to forfeit the money that the university is hanging over my head. I can't take the prereq. and the final class simultaneously either, even though that is possible with other majors. And the adviser told me there's nothing she can do to override it either, because **** you, that's why.

And I wouldn't really care if I was just someone who feels that as long as they get the degree it's all good. I know several people who have been going for 5 years as an undergrad (those comments make me queasy), but they're also pretty chill about college in general. But I have to keep at least a 3.5 to keep my scholarship and a 3.8 just on personal grounds (plus my parents), and I've succeeded for the most part. But, I haven't had a summer since 2011. Taking classes 4 hours a day five days a week for two months, I thought I was making great time. I was getting it done. But in the end I got pimp slapped from the system anyways.

**** college.

So does anybody else have college horror stories (or glory stories)? I want to hear all kinds of other experiences, because I always hear people saying how college was the greatest time of their life in terms of fun and adventure, but all I've found is stress and the inability to makes lasting friend connections because once I've had to deal with 20-50 people in class and then at work, I really don't feel like hanging out with anyone afterwards.

And feel free to tell me if I'm just complaining too much, because it kind of feels like I am, but at the same time I'm just really angry.

I get that your frustrated here, and this probably isn't what your hoping to get in return. I mean I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the real world sucks a whole lot worse. Summers off? Your kidding right? I haven't had one in over 30 years. Here you are all upset over the fact that you are going to have to take, what, 1 class that will last for a couple of hours and have the rest of your time free?

I guess my question for you would be, what do you think is going to happen when you graduate and actually get a job? So if you want my advice, just relax and enjoy what you've got. Because the real world is going to come knocking before you even know it. And you can take it from me, the grass is definitely not greener on this side of the fence.

I am going to a small university, and it's wonderful. No stress, easy to stand out, I know all my professors by name and they know me. Work outside of class with most of them. It's great. I'm assuming you go to a large school? It's a lot tougher to make it all work at places like that, I feel. But even here, many of my friends have issues with classes offered every other spring/fall, etc. It can be tough to finish your degree on time. They just wanna squeeze as much money out of you as they can. But hey, since you can't do much about it, take a fun elective and just roll with it!

Jakd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** college.

I get that your frustrated here, and this probably isn't what your hoping to get in return. I mean I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the real world sucks a whole lot worse. Summers off? Your kidding right? I haven't had one in over 30 years. Here you are all upset over the fact that you are going to have to take, what, 1 class that will last for a couple of hours and have the rest of your time free?

I guess my question for you would be, what do you think is going to happen when you graduate and actually get a job? So if you want my advice, just relax and enjoy what you've got. Because the real world is going to come knocking before you even know it. And you can take it from me, the grass is definitely not greener on this side of the fence.

I understand this point. That's why I'm pissed off. College is the last time in my life that I get to have summers off, but for the entirety of my college career, I never had summer off, because I've had to work to pay rent/utilities and go to class.

Surely, being in college and all, you know of the meme I'm referring to.... I'd post one but that'd be a violation of the ToS.

You're rockin' scholarships.

Stop whining...

By that logic, nobody should ever complain about anything because there are always people who are worse off. That's a common but terrible stance. Congratulations on being predictable! :)

PS: Unless you're either lazy or legitimately really, really bad at academics, it's not that hard to get scholarships. It's not some amazing feat.

Last edited:
Surely, being in college and all, you know of the meme I'm referring to.... I'd post one but that'd be a violation of the ToS.

Yeah I know, but memes have transcended the lulz and have now become things that people use to give their serious opinion.

**** college.

I understand this point. That's why I'm pissed off. College is the last time in my life that I get to have summers off, but for the entirety of my college career, I never had summer off, because I've had to work to pay rent/utilities and go to class.

Well you can spend your time being ticked off about it or you can look on the bright side and make the best of it. Wish I had better news for you but it pretty much is as simple as that.

I am going to a small university, and it's wonderful. No stress, easy to stand out, I know all my professors by name and they know me. Work outside of class with most of them. It's great. I'm assuming you go to a large school? It's a lot tougher to make it all work at places like that, I feel. But even here, many of my friends have issues with classes offered every other spring/fall, etc. It can be tough to finish your degree on time. They just wanna squeeze as much money out of you as they can. But hey, since you can't do much about it, take a fun elective and just roll with it!

Jakd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol I wouldn't mind it if it hadn't happened almost every semester. My first semester, I took a duplicate poli. sci. course that I took in HS because my adviser didn't read my transcripts right that I had to make up in the summer, then I had to take another extra course because another adviser didn't use the right catalog year.

Even with scholarships, which by the way don't just magically make college easier, I've had to sink so much of my own money into classes that didn't even go toward my degree.

Well you can spend your time being ticked off about it or you can look on the bright side and make the best of it. Wish I had better news for you but it pretty much is as simple as that.

I'm going to have to go through it regardless of my disposition...I already understand this fact. I'm not looking for advice. I'm looking for commiseration or others' experiences (both positive and negative)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back